SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question regarding shipping a firearm to Mass.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding shipping a firearm to Mass. Login/Join 
Picture of VonFatman
posted
I put a Colt AR-15 on Gunbroker. It sold to an FFL in Mass.

My assumption is that I can ship to the buyer/FFL because they can sell the carbine into firearm friendly states around him.

Is my math fuzzy?

thanks
bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
https://www.mass.gov/guides/fr...n-enforcement-notice

Based on what I just read, I’d say ARs are only legal for the police....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe the Gun Owners Action League can clarify

www.goal.org

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well if an FFL is buying it then maybe they are planning to sell it to some one in the government.

I have a friend who has been building full auto weapons for years and selling them to LEO's. When ever we are at a shoot and one of the local mounties because neighbors are complaining about all the automatic fire and explosions (tanerite) shows up he sees it as a sales opportunity.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
you did not mention if it was pre ban or not,

and yes, you can ship an AR (regardless) to a Mass FFL, since as you said, they can flip it out of state, or use as a demo, etc etc,

ditto the mags,

a Mass resident, (non FFL) can buy hi cap mags, but must have a Class A permit to do so

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
thanks mr. lyman.

i had come to the same conclusion after following up a few leads.

it is a pre-ban...so that is also a plus!

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

a Mass resident, (non FFL) can buy hi cap mags, but must have a Class A permit to do so

Yeah, umm, this is wrong. It is illegal in Massachusetts to own post-ban high capacity magazines. Anything over 10 rounds is high capacity. I know this sort of contradicts our License to Carry, which states "Large Capacity" on it. But they consider 10 rounds as large capacity. I'm not sure what isn't considered large capacity. If I'm not mistaken we've done away with the 2 types of LTC (A and B) but I'd have to look into it. My LTC expires next year.

But as far as the OP, if he is selling to an FFL then it shouldn't be a problem. What the FFL does with it after the fact is the FFL's problem.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but my reading of the law says the FFL can only buy prohibited AR style weapons from a licensed distributor to sell to people that can legally by them.

Basically LEOs .

From the link above off the official MA website.

...I am a dealer. May I re-stock my inventory of Assault Weapons for sales exclusively to law enforcement officers?

No. However, you may take orders for sales of Assault Weapons to law enforcement officers, and you may obtain those weapons from your distributor and possess them until you complete the transfer. When you do so, you must retain information sufficient to verify that the transferee is a law enforcement officer....

MA is a fucked up place.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You are selling to an FFL.

What they do with it is not your concern.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You are selling to an FFL.

What they do with it is not your concern.

Yup, you're doing nothing illegal on your end.

Q

Posts: 26445 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I am an attorney admitted in Mass. Email me if you'd like.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:

Yeah, umm, this is wrong. It is illegal in Massachusetts to own post-ban high capacity magazines. Anything over 10 rounds is high capacity. I know this sort of contradicts our License to Carry, which states "Large Capacity" on it. But they consider 10 rounds as large capacity. I'm not sure what isn't considered large capacity. If I'm not mistaken we've done away with the 2 types of LTC (A and B) but I'd have to look into it. My LTC expires next year.

But as far as the OP, if he is selling to an FFL then it shouldn't be a problem. What the FFL does with it after the fact is the FFL's problem.

must be something new??

sold a few last fall to a guy, I wanna say his permit was a Class A but not sure if that is the exact nomenclature for it,

legal tho, or was then,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

must be something new??

sold a few last fall to a guy, I wanna say his permit was a Class A but not sure if that is the exact nomenclature for it,

legal tho, or was then,

Not new at all. At least as old as my first LTC (which was Class A large capacity, meaning 10 rounds only). I think it goes all the way back to the Federal Assault weapons ban because pre-ban date in MA for mag capacity is September 1994.

Just checked and we now have only an LTC or FID, not Class A or Class B.

S&W sent me a 30 round mag I ordered from them back when I had an M&P 15. I did not expect them to ship but was hoping when I placed the order they would tell me how to get more 10 rounders. When I called them they replaced the 30 round mag with 3 10 round mags.

In any case it's not the same as some of our laws where only the dealer is liable. It is illegal to possess over 10 round mag in MA. Whereas a lot of our shitty pistol rules come from the AG under the guise of "Consumer Product Protection". In those cases it's on the dealer but if you can buy one you are okay (I can buy a Glock from a cop if I want in a private transfer, but they aren't MA compliant to the AG rules).

All that aside if the OP has pre-ban none of this matters, except I wish he was selling it to me.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post