SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does this jacket exist?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this jacket exist? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
From what I have seen no hiking/outdoors store will have a synthetic shell that is durable. Everything I have seen was tissue paper thin. Check a fishing/hunting store.

I have an Arc'teryx Gore-Tex shell jacket that I've had for 10 years that still looks basically new and a Marmot fleece softshell jacket I've had for almost 20 years that is still perfectly serviceable.

Both get worn a lot day-to-day in the winter and have seen many hunting and camping and ski trips.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have old jackets as well, all are much more durable than the current ultralight jacket trend. My last REI trip left me empty handed when looking to replace my old north face shell that got chewed up by a forklift.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Simms! Made and marketed for fishermen, but I wear it every day.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a gore tex foul weather parka at work, it works well for this

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for Columbia. I have a lightweight down jacket looking jacket. Ie, no down but it is that stitching style but not puffy like down. It has an inside that looks kind of like an aluminum thermal blanket that is in survival kits. It was CHEAP. On sale for a song. I almost didn't get it because I don't like down puffy coats (even though it isn't puffy). Wife kind of coerced me into it.

I wear this thing all over the place, love it.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Columbia a few years ago, and have been very happy with it. It's what I call a "system" jacket. It's a waterproof /breathable shell, with a zip in/out liner. In the spring and fall, I take out the liner and use the shell and hood as a rain jacket. Together, the shell and liner are good down to as cold as it gets here. We recently had a good two weeks of temperatures in the teens and twenties, and this jacket got me through it. This is a way the OP could cover his temperature range in one jacket.

Here's an important shopping tip. When I first found the jacket, it was in a local boutique type store. IIRC, they wanted $240 for it. Same on-line. Wasn't worth that much. I decided to drive out to an outlet mall that had a Columbia outlet. There I found ghe same jacket for $90. That's where I bought it. Last year my GF needed a new winter jacket, so we drove out to the oulets. She also ended up buying a similar jacket from Columbia at a good discount. Note that I went in January, not too long after the holidays, and they had a good clearness selection. Note ghat you want there main line merchandise. They also make lower grade merchandise specifically for the outlet. I would avoid that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for Arc’Teryx. I bought a Beta AR shell on sale a few years ago and it is terrific. When it’s cold enough I layer it over a fleece vest or nanopuff synthetic insulated jacket.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the good old Military M-65 Field Jacket?
They come in black and tan now.
There's also the newer gortex field jackets and liners that might be what you're looking for, 3 in 1 Parka, you can wear the liner, the jacket or the jacket with the liner. Check out a military surplus store / website.

As far as Carhartt stuff, it just takes a little while to break in, but their stuff is phenomenal! Don't be too quick to take Duluth Trading off the list, their customer service is excellent, and return time on shipping isn't bad. They've got a measurement chart on the website.

$200 max? I don't think you can find socks from Arc-teryx for under $200. Great gear, YES! But the prices are higher than an eagles ass.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Oh, and I need to be able to buy it locally to avoid ordering the wrong size, so places like Duluth Trading are out.

Duluth Sizing and return policy are top notch!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duluth Sizing and return policy are top notch!

So are REI's.

Just a reminder to the OP, even an XL size on most of these jackets are "athletic fit", if you are a bigger dude, beware.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've a Columbia tri-season jacket that's good from around 25°F to around 50°F, depending upon what you're wearing under it and your level of exertion. Above 50°F you can remove the liner. You can wear either independently of the other, too.

I've had it out in around 10-15°F weather, blowing snow, with light-weight polypropylene long johns, flannel shirt and a balaclava under the hood, and actually over-heated with mild exertion.

For warmer weather, with just the shell, it has armpit zips, too.

My only complaint is it doesn't have a two-way zipper. If it did it'd be the perfect jacket, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I went into a Cabelas up near Tacoma a few years ago (before they opened one here) and found most of their outerwear was made in China. Columbia Sportswear has moved a lot of their manufacturing to China recently too. That's a deal breaker for me.

I think your chances of finding a high quality not-made-in-Asia jacket for under $200 are not very good.

Carhartt’s jackets are made in Mexico.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've pretty much listed every attribute to getting a soft-shell:

- Around $150-200
- Doesn't need to be waterproof but, needs to be water repellant.
- Functional down to 20-25F
- Durable, able to deal with some abrasion but, not abuse.
- Versatile to use during commutes and for work
- Not too bulky

Yup, soft-shell, it's all about being comfortable throughout a range of temperatures. Anybody who's worn them will sing their praises and wonder why they wore a hard-shell for so long.
Every outdoor company makes them, the bigger brands make a giant range of them, for a range of activities, the most popular are around $120-180. Below are the most popular an enduring styles from their respective brands consider:
The North Face Apex Flex- An actual waterproof jacket that stretches and functions like a soft-shell.
The North Face Apex Bionic
Arc'Teryx Gamma LT
Marmot Leadville Jkt
Marmot Gravity Jkt
Patagonia Adze Jkt
Outdoor Research Ferrosi Jkt

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
A lot of great suggestions. Arc'tyrex, and Columbia is usually what I gravitate to. Both offer long lasting, effective outdoor wear. As others have stated it is all about layers and adjusting accordingly.

I have purchased most of my stuff from Backcounty.com and REI when they have sales and have gotten great deals. I also periodically peruse ebay and have seen some super deals as well. I think a lot of people (myself included) grab them at a big discount and sell them off when out of closet space.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

$200 max? I don't think you can find socks from Arc-teryx for under $200. Great gear, YES! But the prices are higher than an eagles ass.

Thats a pretty uninformed comment.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage...elevance&outlet=true

Here's a list of 6 Arcteryx jackets on clearance at REI for under $200 including a nice fleece for under $100! They may or may not have the OP's size for a particular jacket but keep checking because more comes into to the clearance "garage" all the time.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'd say a Columbia shell with a zip in fleece VEST. The full fleece jackets are too bulky, but a nice fleece vest leaves your arms freer.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for Arc/teryx. I would never spend money on one, but then someone got me one. I can't stand bulky coats/jackets. It is by far the best jacket I have ever had & I wear it year round.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the inputs. I went over to Cabelas and found an Under Armor shell + fleece liner that I think will work. Regular $200 on sale for $165. Not made in the US, but not made in China either so that's OK.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You might look at KÜHL. American company, but I do believe manufacturing in China. Still, high quality. A couple of their jackets fit your pistol.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post