SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which site do you use for flexible (day and location) and cheap airfare?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which site do you use for flexible (day and location) and cheap airfare? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My kids have a busy summer with volunteering, sports, school obligations, etc. But we have about 10 days free from the last day of July through school starting on August 12th.

I would like to run away with the family somewhere, but do not have a specific location. Could be Denver and the Rockies, could be Philadelphia, could be Chicago, etc.

Just like the destination is flexible, the departure and return date are flexible by a couple of days each way.

I know there are sites out there to search cheap flights for certain dates ranges and it will give lots of random city options. Which one of these do you use?

I usually use Expedia for research, but I find myself having to put in each city and date range independently and it's rather time consuming.

Posts: 2367 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The southwest site/app is pretty good with it. I assume you are flying out of Orlando so that gives quite a bit of options.

Posts: 13321 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I love your way of thinking - good luck. I would like to plan an escape well in between everything.. I have used Hopper (app) in the past.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5514 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
As an experienced business traveler, I am comfortable booking my own travel. I no longer travel for business but I am a member of several airline loyalty programs. Here is the method I use.

I use one of the aggregator sites (Expedia, Priceline, etc.) to check flight info for the dates I want to travel. I am about 1/2 way between two airports so I like to query both departure points. The aggregator sites will give you info on a bunch of airlines at the same time and allow you to easily change your search criteria. They will also show you a span of days and you may be able to pinpoint a day with better pricing.

When I find a flight I like I will go to the airline site directly to book the tickets.

Posts: 2736 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8185 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
As an experienced business traveler, I am comfortable booking my own travel. I no longer travel for business but I am a member of several airline loyalty programs. Here is the method I use.

I use one of the aggregator sites (Expedia, Priceline, etc.) to check flight info for the dates I want to travel. I am about 1/2 way between two airports so I like to query both departure points. The aggregator sites will give you info on a bunch of airlines at the same time and allow you to easily change your search criteria. They will also show you a span of days and you may be able to pinpoint a day with better pricing.

When I find a flight I like I will go to the airline site directly to book the tickets.

100% this. Find your flight however, but book direct for much better (or any) service should something go wrong.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16321 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
this one.

https://www.skyscanner.com/tra...b/?oym=2408&iym=2408

Exactly what I was looking for!

Posts: 2367 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Using an aggregator for actual purchase is very tempting, but ill-advised. Day of travel chaos means you have no one to help you. Book direct.

I use my travel card site for point travel.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Using an aggregator for actual purchase is very tempting, but ill-advised.

I never do, always book direct. Just makes it easier to search.