SIGforum
Dash cams and the police

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6760018125

August 17, 2026, 04:34 PM
lyman
Dash cams and the police
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The 7 or 8 Tesla navigation cameras serve as “dash cams”. If the car detects that a collision has occurred, it stops the recording, thus preserving a multi-view record of events for some interval of time prior to the collision. Possibly even a bit beyond it.

That record is stored on a hard disk in the glove compartment. In the event of a collision, will the police require me to surrender that disk? If so, will I get a copy?


why would it stop the recording?

seems like it would still roll footage (So to speak) and book mark or flag in some what the time stamp of the accident



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
August 17, 2026, 05:45 PM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^
quote:
why would it stop the recording?

There’s a finite amount of storage space. The recording ought to stop before it overwrites the moments before the collision.



Serious about crackers.
August 17, 2026, 06:07 PM
trapper189
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
If you have an iPhone 15 or newer, you can connect USB C SD Card Readers like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NW8RPYN

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Great idea! I’ll have to learn how to do that. Except my iPhone doesn’t have an SD chip slot. Mad

Thank you. I tried this when I got home and found my 7 in 1 card reader has a USB A to USB 3.0 Micro-B cord.
August 17, 2026, 10:36 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
^^^^^^^^^
I am in LE and I have dash cams in my personal vehicles.


Exactly! I have a dash cam in every vehicle I drive or my wife drives. I have a take home state LE unmarked vehicle but it does not have a dash cam as I do not do patrol or traffic stops. I do internal affairs. I even have my own dash cam in my state vehicle.

The question has pretty much already been answered but you can’t be made to give over your dash cam, vehicle video, unless you choose to give it or it is serious and the police get a search warrant for it. Regardless, you would be able to get a copy.




NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 17, 2026, 10:48 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^
quote:
why would it stop the recording?

There’s a finite amount of storage space. The recording ought to stop before it overwrites the moments before the collision.


I know nothing about Teslas, but you would think it should be like most dash cams. They record all the time and when the memory is full it starts to overwrite the oldest video. If it detects what it thinks is a crash, bump, or you hit protect, then that video is saved no matter what. Even if you do nothing and then video is overwritten, those saved events will be saved unless you delete them. That way it records all the time.




NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 17, 2026, 10:59 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Question to the cops and lawyers; assuming we're all decent drivers and try to do our best at all times, is there a reason we shouldn't have a dash cam? We all make mistakes sometimes. Are the odds that a cam would be more of a benefit than a problem? Would it ever be self-incriminating?


I guess it depends on how a person drives. I have a dash cam in everything and drive safely. The dash cam will capture whatever happened. If I am at fault then so be it, but if I am not, then it will prove it.

It came in handy once when an undercarriage of my state car got ripped off going through water I could not avoid and it cost close to $1,000 to repair. My chief was happy I had the evidence. I have also had a very close call where it would not have been my fault but I got lucky with defensive driving and avoided a very bad accident. I had it on video and would have had it as proof if there was any damage to my state vehicle.

I found the video of that close call:






NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 18, 2026, 12:34 AM
charlie12
I have a good dash cam video. We were sitting at a redlight watching a worker in a bucket truck working on the traffic signals. Then here comes a 18 wheeler coming off I-12 and turning to go under the I-12. The trailer hit the bucket and dumped the work out of it. He was left hanging by his harness.

I put the video on Facebook and it went nuts I calls from all over the world wanting to us it.
I would post it on here but I don't know how.


_______________________________________________________
And no, junior not being able to hold still for 5 seconds is not a disability.



August 18, 2026, 01:39 PM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
I have a good dash cam video. We were sitting at a redlight watching a worker in a bucket truck working on the traffic signals. Then here comes a 18 wheeler coming off I-12 and turning to go under the I-12. The trailer hit the bucket and dumped the work out of it. He was left hanging by his harness.

I put the video on Facebook and it went nuts I calls from all over the world wanting to us it.
I would post it on here but I don't know how.


This one?



or this?


August 18, 2026, 02:08 PM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^
Holy Cow!



Serious about crackers.
August 18, 2026, 06:12 PM
charlie12
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
I have a good dash cam video. We were sitting at a redlight watching a worker in a bucket truck working on the traffic signals. Then here comes a 18 wheeler coming off I-12 and turning to go under the I-12. The trailer hit the bucket and dumped the work out of it. He was left hanging by his harness.

I put the video on Facebook and it went nuts I calls from all over the world wanting to us it.
I would post it on here but I don't know how.


This one?



or this?

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qytFOwcovXM?si=slh8Koi7lDANS2Do&start=26" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]



Yep that's mine. Thanks for posting it. We were in the right place at the right time to get that.

I posted it on a local Facebook page and it went wild. I was getting messages from all over the place wanting to use it. I had messages from Japan to Europe wanting it. I told them to use it.
I got a call from Applied Art & Technology in Iowa. They wanted it to make a training video for Mid American Energy. They paid me $1500 to use it. I told them everyone else just used it. But they wanted to pay.
Then months later I got message from Meetinghouse Productions for Road Wars. They wanted to use in on the TV show Road Wars for A&E. They paid me $1000.


_______________________________________________________
And no, junior not being able to hold still for 5 seconds is not a disability.



August 18, 2026, 09:49 PM
c1steve
I found that people who tend to cause accidents, are also usually good at lying. Instead of improving their driving, they improve their story telling. Best to have a front and rear dash cam, it may come in handy.

When I provided video from some work security cameras, it was too large to email so I burned made a copy and dropped it off at the local PD.

A woman ran a red light a few years ago, the light turned green and I moved into the intersection. As she came through I hit the side of her vehicle. She hit a second vehicle which spun and hit a bus. She was great at lying, and the LEO on scene was believing her story. Fortunately the bus had front and rear dash cams and the video showed her running the red light.

Without the video evidence, it would have been "my fault". My Honda was totaled, so I put a dash cam in my other vehicle three weeks later.


-c1steve
August 19, 2026, 07:56 AM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^^
Glad that you were proved not at fault Steve. Hope your air bags deployed.

The Tesla I ordered has navigation cameras front, rear, and sides. I think it would’ve detected the woman’s car approaching and declined to enter the intersection.



Serious about crackers.
August 19, 2026, 09:10 AM
Fly-Sig
Our newer SUV has 8 cameras, but I haven't found a way to record them. It would be obvious to offer a plug-in solution.
August 19, 2026, 10:29 AM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^^
Eight cameras? Then I’d be astounded if they didn’t record. If not, there’d be no point in having them. Except for the backup camera.



Serious about crackers.
August 19, 2026, 10:52 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^
Eight cameras? Then I’d be astounded if they didn’t record.
My LYRIQ has 360° cameras but does not record.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 19, 2026, 10:59 AM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^^^
Then if you wanted the benefits of a dashcam you’d have to buy one despite having multiple built-in cameras? Seems strange to me.

A non-recording backup camera is obviously useful, but what’s the benefit of a non-recording front or side view camera?



Serious about crackers.
August 19, 2026, 04:17 PM
Fly-Sig
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^
Then if you wanted the benefits of a dashcam you’d have to buy one despite having multiple built-in cameras? Seems strange to me.

A non-recording backup camera is obviously useful, but what’s the benefit of a non-recording front or side view camera?


The multiple cameras are tied into a collision prevention system that jams on the brakes and/or sounds an alarm if a collision is about to happen. e.g. crossing traffic in a parking lot that can be difficult to see. It also provides a 360 degree synthesized photo as if one were directly above the vehicle 30 feet in the air. It shows all the things immediately around the vehicle, which can help when parallel parking.

Yet there is no recording device connected to that system. Audi does sell a conventional dash cam that plugs into the rearview mirror power supply and looks very unobtrusive, all for some seriously painful dollars.

Surely there is a CANBUS or other connector somewhere that could hook into a recording device, but none exist that I can find.
August 19, 2026, 04:33 PM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^^
Ah, so. Thanks for the explanation.



Serious about crackers.
August 19, 2026, 07:09 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

A non-recording backup camera is obviously useful, but what’s the benefit of a non-recording front or side view camera?
Maneuvering in tight spaces. Auto parking assist. Blind spot warnings. Cross-traffic when backing out of a parking slot at the grocery store. Zombie pedestrians in the parking lot, head buried in phone, absolutely no awareness of vehicles. Want me to keep going?



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 19, 2026, 07:16 PM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

A non-recording backup camera is obviously useful, but what’s the benefit of a non-recording front or side view camera?
Maneuvering in tight spaces. Auto parking assist. Blind spot warnings. Cross-traffic when backing out of a parking slot at the grocery store. Zombie pedestrians in the parking lot, head buried in phone, absolutely no awareness of vehicles. Want me to keep going?


There is skuttlebutt online that the GM EV line may get recording in the future similar to Tesla. As VT said it helps backup, pulling into spots, side views etc...