SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any shave oil users on Sig Forum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any shave oil users on Sig Forum? Login/Join 
posted
I use shave soaps or Omega shave cream applied with a brush. I recently stumbled across Alonzo's shave oil. From the ingredients list it appears to be olive oil with a dash of other oils.

Any reports on shave oil versus shave soaps or cremes?

Any reason to switch?

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I use Bulldog beard oil as a first layer under my shave cream. It's not super fancy and reasonably priced which is good if I accidentally leave it in a hotel. Mixed with a little water in my hands it creates a nice slick layer to really help the razor glide.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have tried oil in the past.
I did not notice any difference in my shave.
The one thing I did notice, it clogged up my safety razor to the point where I had to take it apart while shaving several times.
The oil was a free sample I got at The Art Of Shaving at our local mall.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I tried the Art of Shaving oil and it didn’t seem to make enough difference over just the AoS cream (that I really like) to be worth the effort.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I use this guy's soap, it's marvelous.
http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com

Posts: 8148 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried The Art of Shaving Oil and didn’t find it to be as good as soap or cream. I’ve got pretty tough stubble that likes to get ingrown so I don’t sport a seriously close shave anymore.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
The Art of Shaving is overpriced crap from P&G (Gillette).

I used a sample oil from somewhere that wasn't bad but not much different than my nicer shave soaps.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
My wife got me a bottle of Musco Real pre-shave oil as a gift a while ago, which I sometimes use under my usual Proraso soap. It smells fantastic and feels nice but I'm not sure it actually results in a better shave.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed a difference when I apply hair conditioner to my face prior to applying the soap with a brush. Everything goes just a little smoother and feels a little closer.

I shave in the shower and my procedure is:

1) new Astra blade for every shave (2-3 a week, a box of 100 lasted more than a year and cost $10)

2) allow hot water to run over my face for a minute or two

3) rub in hair conditioner on my face

4) create lather with brush while conditioner works

5) apply lather

6) shave

7) cold water

Works great for me. I’m guessing it’s the same concept as a shave oil.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Shave Secret especially in my travel kit because the bottle is very small and easy to transport. 8-10 drops does an excellent job.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I use Shave Secret especially in my travel kit because the bottle is very small and easy to transport. 8-10 drops does an excellent job.
Same here. It does a good job, but I will second the comment about it clogging up the razor. I prefer the Dr. Carver Shave Butter when I’m at home.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will stick to soap or Omega shave cream then since there seems no compelling reason to switch based on responses so far.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use only regular hair conditioner to shave.
After the shower, apply a hot/wrung-out wash cloth for a minute or two, apply conditioner, shave, DONE! No added expense or clutter in the cabinet.
Haven't cut myself yet.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry shave cream when I'm traveling, in small travel canisters, but also carry Shave Secret, for the same reasons as above. It works well enough, and it's been especially handy when I've run out of shave cream in locations where I couldn't go buy any.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post