SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helpful hint for boaters: pump gas into the GAS TANK - not the fishing rod holder...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helpful hint for boaters: pump gas into the GAS TANK - not the fishing rod holder... Login/Join 
posted
Do you think any drinking was involved??

http://abc11.com/news/boat-exp...-rod-holder/2063127/

Florida and Ohio - we are doing our best here ...

--------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Betting several ounces of alchohol were pumped into the piehole before the fuel job...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Forbidden three letter combination.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
What is the proper procedure for rendering a boat full of fuel safe?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
from the comments.

after a short stint at a marine shop, if I got paid a dollar for every time I said "how is this possible?", I'd have a gold boat.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Guess they didn't disconnect the negative terminal first Eek

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Do you think any drinking was involved??

This incident reminds me of a story a guy on the fourth floor of my dorm at college related to us about his roommate.
That Saturday morning, his roommate returned drunk to their room in the wee hours. After a few seconds of staggering around, centered himself in front of his desk chair, unzipped his fly, grabbed his right thumb in his left hand and held it there, swaying to and fro, while peeing in his pants. He then collapsed in his rack to sleep it off.

I sort of imagined the boat fuel thing going about the same way.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Blow it up?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Blow it up?

1. Move it to a safe area.
2. Blow it up.

Like you, they forgot Step 1.

I feel bad for the innocent tow operator. Not so much for the dumbass/drunkass occupants.

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
In 1986 as a young Sergeant, I was TDY to Kadena AB, Okinawa.

We had recently installed a new Airport Surveillance Radar (ASR). The old vacuum tube system (AN/FPN-47) had its own building on a hilltop. The new system (AN/GPN-20) was rigged inside of a transportable fiberglass shelter. The existing building was gutted and a large bay door was installed. The new shelter was rolled into the existing building.

I was sitting at a workbench in the Radar maintenance shop when I watched a young Airman walk into the storeroom and come back out with a gas can and the floor buffer.

Me: What are you doing?

Airman: We decided to tile the floor around the new shelter in the old building. We used too much tile adhesive and have this black goo oozing up between the tiles.

Me: So your plan is to pour gasoline on the floor and run the buffer over it?

Airman: Yes.

Me: The instant you hit the trigger on the buffer, you, the radar and likely the entire building are going up in flames. Haven't you ever noticed the sparks inside of the motor housing when running the buffer?

Airman: Yes...Thanks...

I watched this young black Airman almost turn white when he realized how badly he nearly screwed up.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy who used a electric drill and a mixing paddle to try and stir up a 55 gal drum of contact cement, that lasted about 10 seconds before the barrel caught on fire Dang near burnt his shop down.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
"As battery cables were being disconnected in an effort to prevent a spark, a spark occurred anyway, igniting the fuel."

double jeopardy fuel in hull, lets add some 'lectricity...

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's also a good idea not to pump gas in the water fill and not to pump water in the gas fill.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed interesting question as to how you would render that boat hull full of fuel safe.

I believe you you would have a spark at cable disconnect regardless whether you pull positive or negative cable. If theres a load on the circuit a small sparking would be made very self evident.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This thread caused me to recall an event back in the old days when the ramp at Eglin (Mainside) had over 125 various aircraft. And nearly 100 F-4s on the TAC side.

Someone in the AGE yard, inadvertently filled a hydraulic test stand's hydraulic reservoir with fuel, thinking they were refueling the stand.

My aircraft, one each, government issued, 1-F-4E-1-1, 66-0295, aerospace weapons system delivery platform (also known as, "the Jet") happened to have a stab aug (SAS) problem and needed a mule and -60 to troubleshoot.

Well, hooked up the mule, did all the TS, fixed the jet, rolled everything up, called for AGE to pick up their stuff and panel up the jet.

Well, jet gets put on the schedule, pre-flighted and I come in the next day, head out to the ramp to prep for launch.

Expediter, (TSgt Botello) drives up and sez: "Your jet is broke dick. Mule had gas in the reservoir and you need to prep the jet for a 3 system drain and flush!"

Now, I have never (nor has almost any other Crew Chief) had to do this.

What a PITA, tow to hanger, drain, pull all filters, and a bunch of other crap I forget, hook up a "clean" mule and cycle all flight controls, swing gear, hook and everything that uses hydraulics, then back out to the flightline for "run and bleed" (engine runs and cycle everything that you can on the ground), and then take samples for NDI to check.

All because some idiot did a stupid thing.

And not one AGE puke to come out and assist in all that work.

I am not sure home many other jets were affected, but I remember there was a lot of "attention" by Safety, QA and other folks, but I was busy doing stuff to know how big an issue it was.

(and yes, lucky my airplane did not get blowed up real good...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
This thread caused me to recall an event back in the old days when the ramp at Eglin (Mainside) had over 125 various aircraft. And nearly 100 F-4s on the TAC side.

Someone in the AGE yard, inadvertently filled a hydraulic test stand's hydraulic reservoir with fuel, thinking they were refueling the stand.

My aircraft, one each, government issued, 1-F-4E-1-1, 66-0295, aerospace weapons system delivery platform (also known as, "the Jet") happened to have a stab aug (SAS) problem and needed a mule and -60 to troubleshoot.

Well, hooked up the mule, did all the TS, fixed the jet, rolled everything up, called for AGE to pick up their stuff and panel up the jet.

Well, jet gets put on the schedule, pre-flighted and I come in the next day, head out to the ramp to prep for launch.

Expediter, (TSgt Botello) drives up and sez: "Your jet is broke dick. Mule had gas in the reservoir and you need to prep the jet for a 3 system drain and flush!"

Now, I have never (nor has almost any other Crew Chief) had to do this.

What a PITA, tow to hanger, drain, pull all filters, and a bunch of other crap I forget, hook up a "clean" mule and cycle all flight controls, swing gear, hook and everything that uses hydraulics, then back out to the flightline for "run and bleed" (engine runs and cycle everything that you can on the ground), and then take samples for NDI to check.

All because some idiot did a stupid thing.

And not one AGE puke to come out and assist in all that work.

I am not sure home many other jets were affected, but I remember there was a lot of "attention" by Safety, QA and other folks, but I was busy doing stuff to know how big an issue it was.

(and yes, lucky my airplane did not get blowed up real good...)

I can't imagine that JET-A and Skydrol are ever a good combination.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post