SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Humor will replace 'Turkey in the Straw' jingle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Humor will replace 'Turkey in the Straw' jingle Login/Join 
posted
Another woke company!

"We could soon hear an entirely different song emitting from the classic speakers of ice cream trucks on hot summer days. Good Humor worked with Wu-Tang Clan founder RZA to create a new ice cream truck tune after the company learned the old song has racist roots dating back to the 1800s."

https://news.yahoo.com/why-ice...could-015232036.html

Apparently, Theodore R Johnson has nothing better to do than seek opportunities to be offended

Posts: 775 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. I was hoping for a catchy Rap tune.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And mental retardation continues to expand across the country...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For the record that tune and those trucks always sort of creeped me out. Kind of like a clown special ops team was gonna roll out of them. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
For the record that tune and those trucks always sort of creeped me out. Kind of like a clown special ops team was gonna roll out of them. Smile

Now I need to clean my screen.

Thanks,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's all fun and games until a stack of clowns breach your door.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If the tune had pejorative lyrics applied to disparage black people, and that gets tune shitcanned, when are we going to shitcan fried chicken and watermelon?

This "guilt by association", especially of something as innocuous as a tune that has been devoid of any racist application for so long that it took 6 years from the time someone went digging up a hundred and something years dead ox to gore?

"If I say it's racist, it's racist, and if you contend, that is proof."

Or, do we simply continue the erosion of anything and everything (which such razor can be applied) for the benefit of common sense being knocked silly and kept off balance while the ring is narrowed?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43906 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Take the new song, create racist lyrics for it, watch leftest heads go all 'splody Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
C'Mon Man...even the ice cream truck?

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
cs

As I was a-gwine on down the road
With a tired team and a heavy load
I cracked my whip and the leader sprung
I says day-day and the wagon rongue
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Grab your partner take her to the floor
And we're gonna dance to
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Doe-si-doe and then see-saw
And promenade to turkey in the straw

Met Mr. Catfish coming down the stream
Say Mr. Catfish "What does you mean"
Caught Mr. Catfish by the snout
And turned Mr. Catfish wrong side out
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Do a doe-si-doe and then see-saw
Then promenade to turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Swing your lady round some more

Came to the river and I couldn't
Get across
I paid five dollars for an old blind hoss
Wouldn't go ahead nor he wouldn't
Stand still
So he went up and down like an old saw mill
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Doe-si-doe and then see-saw
Turkey in the straw
Turkey in the straw
Swing your lady round some more
Swing your lady
(Turkey in the straw)
Up to the middle
(Turkey in the straw)
Come back home
Turkey in the straw

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
"We could soon hear an entirely different song emitting from the classic speakers of ice cream trucks on hot summer days. Good Humor worked with Wu-Tang Clan founder RZA to create a new ice cream truck tune after the company learned the old song has racist roots dating back to the 1800s."

It's a hot day out. You'd trade the shirt off your back for a bomb pop, when all of the sudden you see the gleam of an ice cream truck cresting over the horizon. You thank goodness for such luck, when all of a sudden the music starts playing:

And let's start it like this, son
Rollin' with this one and that one
Pullin' out gats for fun
But it was just a dream for the teen who was a fiend
Started smokin' woolies at 16
And runnin' up in gates and doin' hits for high stakes
Makin' my way on fire escapes

You no longer want a bomb pop.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Had that argument with someone once about that song. I told them prove to me that the song didn't exist long before someone added those lyrics.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are no rap tunes; rap is choric speach with essentially only a rhythm backup.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Nice. So the guy who had a song/skit about stabbing people in the dick with rusty screwdrivers or worse is the authority on what a song for kids’ ice cream should be. Roll Eyes

Next.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You know where this is going. Soon anyone humming the tune will be branded a racist just like anyone with a confederate flag (or any flag that looks like a confederate flag) is reflexively considered not only a racist but a white nationalist NAZI. There is no bottom to the PC pit and everyone will be tossed in it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Had that argument with someone once about that song. I told them prove to me that the song didn't exist long before someone added those lyrics.

That was an old folk song. The lyrics were added later.

The new tune sucks. Sounds like a cheap windup music box tune.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya can't buy an Eskimo pie there anymore, either. The Inuit word Eskimo is now racist.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Ya can't buy an Eskimo pie there anymore, either. The Inuit word Eskimo is now racist.

Etymologically speaking, there exists a scientific consensus that the word Eskimo comes from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe" and is related to "husky" (a breed of dog), and it does not have a pejorative meaning in origin.

Wiki

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Get some ice creme! Dolla Dolla bill y'all!

The actual lyrics by the Wu-Tang Clan for their hit C.R.E.A.M. (which of course, has NO derogatory references to race) can be found HERE .

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
This racist hoo ha is an adult thing. No kid was ever offended by any tune a good humor man played. Never
I do have to admit that all my credit problems started with one good humor man.
He came to my dad one day and said, “Your little man has run up a small bill with me. He comes out with the rest of the kids, but he never has any money and I just can’t turn him away.”
To avoid staining my credit record, dad paid him the $0.20. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post