SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians / Handymen, what else do I need to install an outside camera?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians / Handymen, what else do I need to install an outside camera? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I replaced an old outside floodlight camera with a Google floodlight camera. It looked like it was a junction box for what was the garage light. I want to add two additional floodlight cameras in the back and I'm having electricians add two junction boxes to which I plan to install the floodlight cameras.. My problem statement is at the end because I don't know what I actually need or if I even need anything else.

This is a picture of the garage camera I installed. Part of the installation was I ran a bead of caulk around the flange where it meets the stucco except at the bottom for any water to drip out. This caulking part is what I'm wondering about with the two new cameras.

The first camera is to replace an existing one that does not have any lighting. I plan to repurpose that camera to inside the garage.

The second one will be added inside the back porch looking the other direction from the first.

In my initial imagination, all I needed was a junction box attached and visible along with the conduit leading to it. Then I can just attach the camera to it. But now I wonder to what will go against the camera flange for me to put the caulking bead as a seal. Is there like a ready-made box to which the junction box can be installed inside or would the electricians have to drill a large hole through the wood in which to install the junction boxes to? But if that was the case, to what will the junction boxes be secured to?

As always, thanks for your help.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What kind of camera is it?

Wireless? PoE?

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If they are 120v wireless, then you cut in a box to the wood or use a surface mounted box. If they are POE or battery powered wireless then no box is required and they can be directly attached to the structure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
What kind of camera is it?

Wireless? PoE?

The video transmission is wifi but it’s powered by wires. That’s why I need a junction box. It’s a Google floodlight camera.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If they are 120v wireless, then you cut in a box to the wood or use a surface mounted box. If they are POE or battery powered wireless then no box is required and they can be directly attached to the structure.

Surface mounted box is the answer that I was looking for. I imagine they have them for exterior work for something like this.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yes, you need an exterior one.

Like this.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Yes, you need an exterior one.

Like this.

Thank you so very much. Takes away the guess work for me.