SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Locking hitch pin recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locking hitch pin recommendations? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
Looking for a locking hitch pin for a 2" Rec. that won't rust out if left on long term.

This will be on a 2004 4runner, and will be used to secure a hitch step. Not planning on towing, just need something that won't rust solid, or fall apart.

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I bought the best I could at a trailer store. Still rusted. Suggest getting one with circular key lock and maintaining a film of lube on it.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve never found a locking unit that didn’t either rust or become inoperable from road grit. I think I’d install it with an appropriately sized bolt and locktight the nut on it.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
After some (Al Swearngen word) stole my hitch head 5 years ago I started using a chrome plated Reese Towpower locking pin and it stays in all the time. I swap hitch heads a couple times a month. I am just now seeing a little surface rust on the pin but it is fully functional and the lock works like when new.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a grade 5 bolt with a hole drilled through for the Bobby pin. The pin obviously keeps the nut from vibrating off. Where I live odds are pretty slim that anyone is going to steal my hitch, so I don’t worry about it.

Putting two nuts on, snugged against each other would be effective. Even better might be a flat washer between the nuts. No way to get it off without the wrenches.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I saw this on a guy's truck at an IDPA match, the BOLT Lock. I bought one and it is strong as heck and well made. Also the locking end and lock itself are well shielded from the elements. Best of all, you buy the model for your vehicle, and the first time you insert your vehicle key, it sets the tumblers to your key. So no extra key to carry for the lock.

Models for 2004 4Runner. I use the 5/8" receiver lock.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I use a Conner 5/8 Nickel locking pin I got it off Amazon. Two years old no rust, has a rubber cap to cover the key lock.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4797 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to have one of THESE one my old truck, I had it for a decade or more. When we were moving to TX I had to remove the hitch and couldn’t find the key....eventually drilled out the lock and had to toss it.

But I guess it served its purpose as I never lost a hitch to theft.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Another option I was thinking of is to jam nut and tack weld the nuts to the bolt, requiring a dremel to remove.

A bit extreme for a $50 hitch step, but people in my area would steal anything. My sister witnessed some lady pull up and started bagging up wood chips from the landscape of her apartment complex not too long ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
locktight

Around here, due to gravel roads, the bar that goes into the receiver becomes so filled with dust that the hitch is almost welded to the receiver.
Most times this requires chaining the ball to a tree, and driving forward jerking the unit apart. You also have to hammer the pin out.

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post