SIGforum
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6740041225

September 13, 2026, 04:17 AM
downtownv
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
I was there




_________________________
September 13, 2026, 05:59 AM
SPWAMike0317
The first time I heard Led Zeppelin it was on a transistor radio on the AM band broadcast by a station that played "Underground Music" at from 8 to 9 PM week nights. It was Communications Breakdown from the first album and it was recently released.



Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
September 13, 2026, 06:55 AM
blueye
Sheeny man with horse drawn wagon, raiding apple/pear trees, 12 cent comics, filling up car with premium and pack of smokes for less than 5 dollars, Big Mac small fries and small coke and got change back from a dollar.
September 13, 2026, 10:11 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Back in my day we could watch coal being delivered for basement furnaces, carts hauling block ice fir residential delivery, and milk in glass bottles with cream floating on top delivrted to the front door.
I remember those deliveries, via 1 hp wagons.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 13, 2026, 01:43 PM
GJG
I remember an old black man delivering vegetables from the Bronx Terminal Market to small groceries near the "El" on third Ave and 149th St in a one horse drawn wagon. In NYC.


Light bender eye mender
___________________________________________________________
Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. Sam Houston
September 13, 2026, 01:48 PM
GJG
quote:

Greeting cars you passed by raising your index finger off the steering wheel.


One finger raised: Howdy, y'all
Two fingers: All y'all (covers multiple people in the passing truck)


Light bender eye mender
___________________________________________________________
Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. Sam Houston
September 13, 2026, 01:55 PM
GJG
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Back in my day we could watch coal being delivered for basement furnaces . . .

I remember helping my grandmother (a building superintendent in the South Bronx) haul clinkers from the furnace up to the street in baby sized, but incredibly heavy, metal trash cans. And watching the coal delivery from a bobtail truck down the chute into the basement, knowing I'd be hauling it up later.


Light bender eye mender
___________________________________________________________
Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. Sam Houston
September 13, 2026, 02:15 PM
arfmel
Polio vaccine in first grade, administered in the school cafetorium, on a sugar cube.
September 13, 2026, 02:23 PM
Gustofer
Who still has their smallpox scar?


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
September 13, 2026, 02:54 PM
Lunasee
I managed to throw my back out while sleeping.
September 13, 2026, 03:10 PM
ltbarber
45 ACP was $10.00 a box.


Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!
September 13, 2026, 04:09 PM
nhtagmember
I remember the last Gemini launch. Our milk was delivered to the front steps in glass bottles. Walking to school I could walk into the dairy and buy a bottle of chocolate milk with a paper cap for a nickel. My grandparents had a phone located outside the house in the front porch. Hand crank party line. I built my first AM radio with a kit from Radio Shack.

Those were good days.
September 13, 2026, 04:36 PM
sigfreund
quote:
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

Posting a comment that doesn’t have anything to do with “saying” something—?




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 13, 2026, 11:21 PM
Snapping Twig
I miss newspapers, especially the fat Sunday one.
September 14, 2026, 12:29 AM
bettysnephew
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I owned a Camaro Z28 with a 302. Nobody relates to that Big Grin

Mine was Hugger Orange with black stripes.



The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
September 14, 2026, 08:43 AM
jehzsa



***************************
Knowing more by accident than on purpose.
September 14, 2026, 11:14 AM
downeastnc1
Smilin’ Ed’s Gang and Pinky Lee.
September 14, 2026, 11:47 AM
229DAK


Does that ever bring back memories.


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
September 14, 2026, 12:04 PM
BigSwede
^^^I can still taste that horrendous water


quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Who still has their smallpox scar?


They stopped mandating them shortly before I was born but Uncle Sam made sure I got it.


September 14, 2026, 12:09 PM
ArtieS
Gas was $0.48

John Glenn on the stairs - "One small step..."

Rotary phone and party line.

My friend lived across the street and was in a different state, therefore a long distance call.



"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.