SIGforum
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6740041225

September 11, 2026, 06:34 PM
Gustofer
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
We had a smoking lounge in high school. Not for the teachers but for the kids. (1984)

We had one too, but ours was outside. A small fenced off area called Marlboro Country.

I remember mom sending me down to the grocery store when I was six years old to buy her cigarettes. The checkout lady never batted an eye.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
September 11, 2026, 06:39 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Sky King, Spin and Marty, Roy and Dale, and best of all The Lone Ranger.

Sea Hunt!


And Flipper and Lassie and The Real McCoys.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 11, 2026, 06:43 PM
SigSentry
In winter, we dressed like we were climbing Everest for the 3 mile walk to K-6. Snow Days, what's that?
September 11, 2026, 06:51 PM
BGULL
During a fairly recent conversation in our Sunday School class, I made reference to dimming my car’s headlights by hitting the dimmer switch with my left foot….. Roll Eyes

Going to the local grocery store with my Dad to test and buy replacement tubes for our TV.

Walking up to the lil mom ‘n pop filling station with a quarter to get a gallon of gas for the lawnmower, having a penny in change to buy a pack of baseball card gum.

In elementary school, we practiced duck and cover, in the classroom and also in the hallways; Cuban Missile Crisis. We were smack dab in the middle of the East Texas Gas Field, we were a legit target all our own. Never mind our proximity to Barksdale AFB and petrochemical industries in Longview Tx.


Bill Gullette
September 11, 2026, 06:53 PM
rizzle
Motel 6 was 6 bucks a night.
September 11, 2026, 06:58 PM
Gustofer
At night we'd pick up far away AM radio stations on our little transistor radios. KBOI 670 out of Boise was my favorite. Great music back then.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
September 11, 2026, 06:59 PM
MRBTX
I remember my Mom letting me pump gas in our '71 Olds 98 for 21.9 cents a gallon.
September 11, 2026, 07:09 PM
Bytes
I owned a Camaro Z28 with a 302. Nobody relates to that Big Grin
September 11, 2026, 07:56 PM
Some Shot
6V system in my car would run the headlights, heater fan, or radio (tube-type), but only two of them at a time. After I ran the battery dead it also would no longer start the car.
September 11, 2026, 08:04 PM
sunburn
Sea Dip motel in Daytona for 3 bucks a night.

Remodeled the master bath 3 years ago. The shower door cost 3x more than my first car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sunburn,


Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
September 11, 2026, 08:11 PM
kkina
McDonald's prices the year I was born...





ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"Pen & Sword as one."
September 11, 2026, 08:23 PM
abnmacv
Took my bolt action 22 rifle to school for a book report and nobody thought is was odd.


U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
September 11, 2026, 08:36 PM
Southern Rebel
"Drawing" your drinking water from a well or even better, carrying a bucket from the spring about a quarter-mile away.

Chopping the stove-wood for the kitchen cookstove.

Waiting for the ice-man to deliver the 50 lb. block of ice for the ice-box (a poor man's version of a refrigerator).

Trimming the wicks on the kerosene lamps to reduce the flickering.

Trips to the outhouse on a cold, dark night.

Helping build a fire under the cast-iron wash pot for the weekly laundry chore.

Going to a 12 yr school and getting at least one paddling each year for all 12 years.

But, as my 5 yr. old granddaughter explained it: "Grandpa, you're not old, old, old. Heck, you are not even old, old. You're just old! (I reckon it only takes one dose of old to become worn down. Roll Eyes)
September 11, 2026, 08:58 PM
MelissaDallas
Greeting cars you passed by raising your index finger off the steering wheel.

Window unit air conditioners (only a couple for the whole house) turned off when you got up and not back on until late afternoon/evening.
September 11, 2026, 09:05 PM
PCWyoming
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I owned a Camaro Z28 with a 302. Nobody relates to that Big Grin


1969 Plymouth Roadrunner ordered from the factory! $3,600.00.

PC
September 11, 2026, 09:13 PM
fischtown7
Doing bookkeeping/accounting on a paper spreadsheet with an adding machine/manual and electric.
September 11, 2026, 09:23 PM
jljones
I drove to school with a 552 Speedmaster and 870 hanging in the back window.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



September 11, 2026, 11:23 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
At night we'd pick up far away AM radio stations on our little transistor radios. KBOI 670 out of Boise was my favorite. Great music back then.




_______________________________________________________
despite them
September 11, 2026, 11:53 PM
Schmelby
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Greeting cars you passed by raising your index finger off the steering wheel.


Forty years ago my friend bought his first pickup truck. We went on a camping, fishing trip in southern Kentucky.
I told him when an oncoming pickup passes to either wave or just lift a finger or two, he thought I was nuts!
By the end of our trip he was amazed! ninety percent of people waved.
Southern Hospitality! I love it.
September 12, 2026, 12:16 AM
slosig
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I owned a Camaro Z28 with a 302. Nobody relates to that Big Grin
302 in a Chevy? I thought the 302s were Ford motors. 289, 327, 350, 427, 454, sure those were all Chevy motors, but I don’t remember 302 in anything other than Fords.

Then again, I do suffer from CRS (Stands for … lengthy pause, scratches head, shrugs shoulders, finishes with “something”).