SIGforum
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
September 11, 2026, 12:03 PM
tatortoddHow to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
This thread is meant to be light hearted good humor. I'll go first with my example of how to say you're old without saying you're old:
When I was in elementary school, the art teacher had us do projects where we made ashtrays for our parents.
For those who've never seen a how to say you're old without saying you're old, here are a few ideas:
Referencing historical events that younger generations only read about in textbooks is a definitive way to signal your age
Contrasting how everyday tasks used to be done highlights a vastly different era
Using lighthearted, relatable humor about how your daily routine has shifted over the decades
Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity
DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. September 11, 2026, 12:05 PM
kkinaThe year I was born there were only 48 states.
September 11, 2026, 12:06 PM
Tuckerrnr1Hang up the phone. Roll up that window. Anyone seen the yellow pages? Where's that map we got from the gas station?
_____________________________________________
I may be a bad person, but at least I use my turn signal.
September 11, 2026, 12:12 PM
Loaded RoundGet off my lawn.
September 11, 2026, 12:13 PM
SHOOTIN BLANKSBeubg born in the 1900's or in the prior century.
___________________________
"Opinions vary" -Dalton
September 11, 2026, 12:19 PM
ScreamingCockatooRotary phone.
Wooden console TV old. Position the TV fishbone arial old.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
September 11, 2026, 12:21 PM
sig2392Black and White TV, Phone Booth, Slide Rule.
September 11, 2026, 12:24 PM
PHPaulRotary dial phone on a party line. ONE phone, it was in the kitchen and the cord to the handset was about 15 feet long. And the bakelite handset weighed about 5 pounds. No such thing as a telemarketer. If your it was your ring (ours was two longs and a short) you answered it. Long distance calls were a huge deal.
Grades K through 4 in a one-room country schoolhouse with outhouses.
Girls in my 8th grade class lost their shit when The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan.
Jeans (aka bluejeans, levis) were not allowed in High School, nor were Tee shirts. Polo's were grudgingly acceptable but button-down was definitely preferred. Public school, BTW.
Cars didn't have seatbelts, or if they did, they were tucked behind the seats.
$5 was enough to take your girl to the Drive In and get a burger after, plus put some gas in Dad's car.
Chamber pot under the bed at my Aunt's house so you didn't have to stumble out to the outhouse at night.
Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 11, 2026, 12:27 PM
LS1 GTOCalling your grandparents long-distance and needing to pause after talking because of the delay.
Checking pay phones [as a kid] to see if there are any dimes in them (NOTE: ALWAYS look first - someone may have spit in the coin return!)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers
The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...
September 11, 2026, 12:28 PM
Mustang-PaPaWhen your about to rear end or slam on the breaks to keep from hitting something you automatically extend your right arm out to keep your kid from hitting the dash, going through the windshield or balling up in the floorboard. That was just good parenting back in the day before seatbelts and the days of front seats six feet wide and hard metal dashes.
My wife is 6 months older than me and still sticks her arm out if things get tight.
September 11, 2026, 12:43 PM
JimineerThree-wheeled Mailster scooters used by the postman.
September 11, 2026, 12:53 PM
WaterburyBobFree glassware when you filled your gas tank
S&H Green stamps
Kerosene pumps at the gas station
TV antenna rotor
Transistor radios were the new technology
Greenie Stickem caps
"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
September 11, 2026, 12:57 PM
220-9erquote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The year I was born there were only 48 states.
Now that you mention it, I was in Kindergarten around the time you were born.
Just after 9 out of 10 doctors stopped recommending smoking Camel's. They did still recommend smoking, based on the ad's anyway.
Seatbelts weren't yet in cars.
___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
September 11, 2026, 01:07 PM
two-two-niner-romeoI can remember watching the last Apollo rocket launch.
"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II
"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall
September 11, 2026, 01:11 PM
BigSwedeleaded gas
Seat belts? Pshhhhhhhh
September 11, 2026, 01:14 PM
TMatsI had a ‘65 Chevelle SS. I have a distinct memory of putting $2 gas in it before going cruising on a Friday night.
_______________________________________________________
despite them
September 11, 2026, 01:14 PM
GraniteguyWatching Dana Hersey and the Movie Loft during the 2nd intermission of Boston Bruins games on Channel 38.
September 11, 2026, 01:19 PM
DzozerOh!! It’s late… I need to get home to watch Matlock!
'veritas non verba magistri' September 11, 2026, 01:28 PM
oddballI used to have interactive TV back in the day, I played Winky Dink.
"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
September 11, 2026, 01:29 PM
whododatMy response when people ask how I am.
Peachy keen.
Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.