SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honey Bees Are Back In My Area; How About Your Place
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honey Bees Are Back In My Area; How About Your Place Login/Join 
posted
When I came home from work, the other day, I was pleasantly surprise to hear one of my flowering trees buzzing with, with what seemed to be 100s of honey-bees hard at work! Maybe someone started a beehive in my area. Anyone notice more honey-bees in there area this year?

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
They were really working over the Wysteria that covers my pergola a couple weeks ago. I also found a hive thriving in a hollow tree on the west side of my place.

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I only have two hives that survived the poisoning Clayton County zeka control bastards did.
The Bees are working on Popular trees in the river swamp.
Their days are numbered as the county has announced they will be spraying Mad

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two empty hives sitting out on the property. My bees will be here in a couple weeks, but I'm hoping that they'll be early as the wildflowers are already starting to bloom and my peach and apple trees are beginning to blossom (neither of which need pollination, but it helps with the yield).

I did see my first paper wasp of the season the other day though. Kind of surprised as we're still freezing at night. It's going to be an interesting year this year as it has been record wet. I'm preparing for a metric shit-ton of skeeters.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 Cal, real sorry to hear another government entity has destroyed your hive population; especially when it's for either a total scam or a CDC created organism called Zika.
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I only have two hives that survived the poisoning Clayton County zeka control bastards did.
The Bees are working on Popular trees in the river swamp.
Their days are numbered as the county has announced they will be spraying Mad

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have four hives so there is always buzzing if all is well.

I am registered with the state to prevent accidental poisoning of the hives but I have little confidence in that.

45call, did you get any warning? Where you able to cover the hives with wet sheets beforehand?

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
I have four hives so there is always buzzing if all is well.

I am registered with the state to prevent accidental poisoning of the hives but I have little confidence in that.

45call, did you get any warning? Where you able to cover the hives with wet sheets beforehand?

No warning,first two times the truck drove by.
The third time I caught him,he called his boss about a crazy old man,boss told him to stop.
They spray at about four p m and that is the time most workers are bringing nectar ,pollen and water to the hive.
I complained up the ladder,they agreed not to spray in front of my house.
I LIVE IN A CIRCLE.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are going to start beekeeping this year. Have two hives and two nucs on order. Have a swarm trap out next to a tree cut down on the farm that we found out has a hive in it. If that doesn't work my buddy who also keeps bees is going to help us cut them out.

"Modern medicine exists to defeat Darwinism" - Anonymous 18D

Posts: 711 | Location: Land of Scarlet and Gray | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Wife saw one a little bit ago.
Here south of Manassas

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My strong hive is going like crazy, my swarm I caught 2 weeks ago is getting stronger.
I'm very pleased!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They're back but I saw one drone behaving strangely on a sidewalk. She was doing the dance like you see in documentaries. There were no other bees around so she couldn't have been telling anyone anything. I assumed she was trying to get her bearings, instead.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Noticed they were hard at work on my Buford Holly. Nonaggressive type too. Must be those European bees.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Jillions in my stand of Nellie R Stevens Hollies. The flowers are fading now though, so they'll be moving on.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in WI, have no hives. We had one in between our home windows yesterday. Have not seen one for awhile.

Posts: 839 | Location: Sparta, WI | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No bees yet for me. I do have some Robins. They look chilly. Snow predicted first of the week!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post