SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milwaukee M18 string trimmer with edger attachment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milwaukee M18 string trimmer with edger attachment Login/Join 
posted
So my +25 year old Echo SRM 2400 string trimmer is finally having an issue. I can’t complain as I’ve gotten my money’s worth several times over. Starts up and idles but dies after a few seconds when advancing the throttle. I can replace or rebuild the carburetor, purchase a new Echo gas trimmer, or move into the world of battery powered lawn equipment. My yard isn’t huge but I’ve always had gas equipment. Can anyone provide some reviews of the Milwaukee trimmer and edger attachment? Currently I’ve just used my trimmer for edging but figured I might try the edger attachment.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching, the Milwaukee weed whacker is tempting me.

Posts: 21112 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got an M18 trimmer but no edging attachment. For normal grass trimming it's awesome and even better because my wife uses it sometimes and I don't have to. For heavier work though, I pull out the Echo.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have the dewalt 20v trimmer. While I can’t speak to the Milwaukee specifically, I am super happy I switched to a battery trimmer. They are very user friendly and much easier maintenance

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I've always considered gas powered being the most versatile. No cords to worry about and no batteries to die.

Oh, then there's the replacement cost of a battery (or two). Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have both a M18 trimmer and an Echo 2400. The Milwaukee is great for string trimming. If I need to use a blade for serious brush work, then it’s the Echo. The Echo is more powerful.

I use the Milwaukee about 95% of the time. The Echo 2400 only comes out on special occasions. The battery lasts longer than I care to weed wack in a day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Do you have M18 tools already?

I have the Ryobi as I have those tools already, I wouldn't have gotten it if I wasn't already invested in the batteries.

If you're not using those batteries already, or if you don't plan on getting more M18 tools, I'd go with a new gas model with the interchangeable heads.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try backing out the fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if it runs fine then. I have all echo gas stuff I purchased 2015 ish, and about 6 months ago for some unknown reason (only change I made was switching from the echo blue oil to the echo red oil) it wouldn't start, wouldn't start......had to back the mixture screw out just a tad and it fires right up and runs perfectly. Other thing you can try is take the air filter off and put the palm of your hand over the intake and pull the cord fast then take it off after a few seconds, sometimes that will pull any junk out of the jets if there is some.

That being said, if you have all Milwaukee 18 volt tools go Milwaukee. IF NOT, go with a EGO 56 volt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I have the M18 trimmer, without the edger. It's perfect for my needs. I have about a quarter acre that is surrounded on two sides by chain link fence. If I don't use the battery for any other tools I can probably go most of the summer on a single charge. It has plenty of power for any residential use I can think of, I have used it to "mow" small sections of my yard.

I've had both cheap and expensive gas powered trimmers, and the M18 is better than both around the house.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't have gotten it if I wasn't already invested in the batteries.

Please tell me what's wrong with the Ryobi. I was thinking about getting the 18v trimmer as I am heavily invested already in other Ryobi tools

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd or 3rd the suggestion for Ego if you're not already invested in Milwaukee batteries. I have 18V tools & the 56V batteries provide significantly more umph.

The weed wacker would probably be fine, because i don't use it that much. The chainsaw & especially the blower make the 56V necessary.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Please tell me what's wrong with the Ryobi. I was thinking about getting the 18v trimmer as I am heavily invested already in other Ryobi tools

Nothing wrong with it at all, but I wouldn't have gotten the 18v trimmer if I didn't use the batteries already. I have no qualms with the Ryobi batteries, but eventually all batteries die, and they become expensive to replace after time was my point.

If you already use the tools, the Ryobi trimmer works great for me (with the 3 Ah+ batteries, the regular 2 Ah batteries dain too fast in it).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can't say specifically about the Milwaukee stuff however I can say moving to e-Wacker tools has been great.

Tried it years ago but the battery life and power wasn't there, now it's more than satisfactory, and eliminating the mixing of fuel/oil, storing it, and having to deal with the noise of 2 strokes has been great.

I have the eGO brand products, a blower and edger, that way I have two products with two fully charged batteries on hand and typically can edge and blow off the debris with one battery without discharging fully.

Milwaukee products are good, whatever you choose select a line that has other equipment with the same battery so you have the ability to move batteries from device to device.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've used Echo gas trimmers for years with no complaints (and I still don't have any), but when Milwaukee started adding OPE to their M18 FUEL line (which I already owned a number of and in which I continue to build my power tool stable), I was intrigued.

The original model line trimmer (before they added the interchangeable attachment option) was my first purchase. Came bundled with the blower.

It's so good, I bought my MIL one to use up at the farm. I'll still tackle larger trimming jobs with the Echo, but for 99% of what most folks need a line trimmer for, the Milwaukee is amazing (as is the blower).

Just bought the 18V FUEL chainsaw, which is damned impressive for quick light to medium jobs. (I'll still bring out the Farm Boss for really big trees when necessary.)

I just wish they'd add a lawn mower.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post