SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samsung S21 or iPhone 12 Pro? My cell is getting old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung S21 or iPhone 12 Pro? My cell is getting old Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Have an Android cell, a Huawei - Honor model in your latitudes, i think - It has served me well and i replaced it's battery not long ago.
It works fine but it gets «distracted» now and then.

Considering S21 Ultra or iP12 Pro as replacements.
Reviews say they are similar but hands on beats reviews in my book.
AFAIK, none is expandable.

The wife has the iP12 Pro and has experienced some unexplainable trouble for months since she bought it. Sound and mic would not work first thing in the morning and the phone had to be reset every day, sometimes more than once the same day.

Last iPhone I owned was the 5s.

Thanks for your time.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've had S21 samsung nearly 6 months. It's far more capable than I
am

No real complaints. Good choice imho.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Do you have any other Android or Apple devices?

Personally, I have an iphone, ipad and Mac and they integrate seamlessly. You could buy and try the iphone out for 14 days w/o any return fees if you bought from Apple.

PS - Has your wife taken or sent her phone in for review?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Considering S21 Ultra or iP12 Pro as replacements.
Reviews say they are similar but hands on beats reviews in my book.

Have no experience with or knowledge of either. Sorry. I suspect it's a matter of which ecosystem one prefers, honestly.

My wife and I are happy enough with our new model iPhone SE's.

quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
The wife has the iP12 Pro and has experienced some unexplainable trouble for months since she bought it. Sound and mic would not work first thing in the morning and the phone had to be reset every day, sometimes more than once the same day.

Has she talked to Apple about this behavior? It is not normal at all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I tried my best twice to switch to Samsungs S20, then the S21…both Ultras. I’m too intrenched in the Apple world and couldn’t stand not having cohesive devices. I use a a 12 Pro Max now. If I were not so stuck into the Apple ecosystem I would go Samsung.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
All my smart phones and tablets have been Samsung so when I needed to replace my Samsung 6 the 21 was the next logical step for me.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have the S21 ultra. There was a thread here about my search and basically I don't like any of the new phones so I just went with the newest phone at the time.

I went with the ultra over the 2 other S21 models for the larger battery and the better camera.

It is BIG1 I knew how big it was before I bought it thanks to the sales girl letting me try out her S21 ultra in my pants pocket for comparison but it carries bigger then I expected and I have not really gotten used to the size. If size is a factor to you that may be important.

It does not have expandable memory so I bought the 256gb model. I don't use cloud services so I have around 40 gb of music and a few gb of pictures, videos, books, and a movie or 2. I could get by easily with the 128gb model but if I can't add memory then I'm going to start out with the most I can get.

Functionally, the phone is great. I get 3 or 4 days between charges. It charges quickly and supports inductance charging. The camera it awesome. It takes great pictures in all conditions and I'm mostly just using it in the default auto mode. The apps load quickly and run seamlessly. Call quality it excellent, the speakers are good, the display is sharp, and it integrates well with my truck's entertainment system.

I can't compare it to the iPhone. I swim in the iWorld at work and hate it so all of my personal things are android.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max and this thing is no joke, it’s stupid fast and the camera is amazing.

I’ve always only owned Apple iPhones since my first one, a 3GS and am biased towards them but they are great phones and very consistent.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:

You could buy and try the iphone out for 14 days w/o any return fees if you bought from Apple.

PS - Has your wife taken or sent her phone in for review?
He is in Argentina.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Yes, i live in Argentina where the goverment clowns officially do not like Apple and therefore there's no Apple Stores, support or warranty.
Apple devices are status symbols. First thing they steal from you.

Wife dove into the ecosystem early this year. Bought an iPhone 12 Pro because she hated her Android.
The iP12 had some software wrinkles i thought should have been fixed by then. Next followed an M 1 MBP that was DOA. I though we were SOL but the importer finally replaced it. In rhe meantime she got an ipad to fill the gap. She was in a Zoom class for over three months.
Over all, she's happy with them. I'm not fond of the way Apple handles things or the Cloud.

I always hated itunes with passion.

Don't really care if iOS or Android. Size matters, don't want to bend the phone. Capacity also important to me. Honestly, i don't care one bit about the camera. I do about the video/music player and the sound.

0-0

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Refuse to use Apple product, this is one of the company that help China and kiss the communists ass, China is the biggest enemy of the US, China CCP must be stop at all cost.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyline009:
Refuse to use Apple product, this is one of the company that help China and kiss the communists ass, China is the biggest enemy of the US, China CCP must be stop at all cost.

Well, yeah, but... Roll Eyes

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7659 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyline009:

You would also have to stop buying anything from Ford, GM, and all the Japanese and European carmakers. Only Chrysler did not have significant interests in China, but the parent company Fiat, and now Peugeot due to the "Stellantis" merger both do. You would also have to stop buying almost any computer, as the major components if not the entire product is made in China. And the list goes on and on.

Buying Samsung probably minimizes Chinese content though, Korea still does a lot of manufacturing, but they are not immune to competition so they source some components from China as well.

Don't worry, the CCP will destroy itself in time. I have personally seen the changes that have occurred under Xi vs. how things were before. His brand of power consolidation, control, and surveillance will backfire.

That said, I have owned Apple Macs since 1993, and currently have 2 iPhones, iPad, iMac, MacBook, and 3 Apple TV's. Staying within the ecosystem works very well.

Also, Apple is superior for corporate and international use. iMessage is encrypted and works anywhere across all my devices with no text fees if I have data service or WiFi. Even works if I drop a local SIM in a phone, because my called ID for iMessage and FaceTime is my Apple ID and not my phone number.

My newer coworker requested an Android phone when authorized to get a company smartphone without asking those of us with experience, and just uses plain SMS. So I have to make sure any text conversation is only with my company phone number to avoid massive international text fees ($0.05 receive $.25 send) when I am out of the country. On my company phone, the company of course covers the fees but they still get charged and hit our budget.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brecaidra and I got S21s a few months ago and are pretty happy with them. Battery lasts about a week, clear voice, fast responses. Compared to my Galaxy S7 there are a ton of new settings, but some guides and reddit discussions gave me good ideas on how to tune everything.

There are quite a few sound / music options including a type of hearing test that tunes the left / right frequency balances to match your hearing. There's a Samsung sound assistant app that lets you customize sound settings for separate applications.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Cime to think of it, i've never seen a book about the Samsung phones. Seen plenty about iPhones and iPads.

0-0

posted Hide Post
I have a Samsung A71 for work and an iPhone 11 Pro Max for personal.

I like iTunes for entertainment. We've had Apple TV for years and we're happy with it as a streaming device. About a year ago I finally started to subscribe to Apple Music. The family plan seemed cheaper than buying songs for my kids.

I like using Microsoft's Your Phone Companion on my Windows PC. (I also like Windows way more than OSX.) I like getting my texts on my computer and I like being able to easily move pictures between my Windows PC and my Android phone.

When it comes to flagship phones between Samsung and Apple, it really comes down to whether you want Android or iOS.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Don't worry, the CCP will destroy itself in time. I have personally seen the changes that have occurred under Xi vs. how things were before. His brand of power consolidation, control, and surveillance will backfire.

Sorry for the thread drift. But this is my thinking as well. Authoritarian regimes don't lend themselves to the type of thinking needed to be competitive in today's world. Look at North Korea for a taste of what is going to happen to China.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The battle of the brands. My wife has a Samsung phone, and a Dell XPS laptop, I use an iPhone/MBP laptop. Just bought a Samsung TV to replace my old tv that failed. Both brands make some great products and happy with either. I'd just pick the phone that you feel suits your needs and aesthetically pleasing. Samsung makes an outstanding display I will say that.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Swore I would never own another Samsung phone. When I finally retired my old OnePlus 3 phone earlier this year, what did I get? A Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G. The phone is killer and I got it for a steal of a deal deal directly from Samsung ($499 if memory serves). Is it the most bleeding edge tech available? Nope, but its darn close, and I use my phone for everything.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My personal phone is a iPhone 12 Pro Max. I thought I'd hate it because of the size, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it's been an awesome phone/camera/hand held computer.

My work phone is a Samsung. I hate it, refuse to use it for anything other than things I absolutely have to, and leave it in the safe in my office.

I've got my issues with Apple and the way they do business, but iOS (even the more and more broken releases) is a far more mature (in terms of development, not style) and cohesive product than Android. Your opinion my be completely different. Try both and see which works best for your needs.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post