SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How simple is it to change from a Liftmaster chain drive to a belt drive opener?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How simple is it to change from a Liftmaster chain drive to a belt drive opener? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have an old 1/2hp Liftmaster chain garage door opener. It seems belt drive is highly recommended. How difficult is it to convert from an old Liftmaster chain to a new Liftmaster belt system?

The old system had the wall button and door sensors with a single button remote. It looks like the new stuff all includes wifi telephone options too.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
For the most part, bolt off/bolt on. A buddy installed mine inside of 90 minutes, by himself, to include installing an external keypad, which did not exist before I had to replace my opener.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy. I installed mine myself and it was pretty straightforward.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty easy swap, I did it last year. The hardest thing you may have to do is cut or change the brackets from the old opener to adjust the position of the new one in relation to the new rail you will install. In most cases the sensors at the garage doors can even be re-used.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it a couple years ago. Not difficult at all. Biggest problem was setting up the ceiling brackets to hang the drive unit.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will find it relatively easy if you are comfortable using tools like screwdrivers, drills and wrenches. I did mine a few years ago and I wouldn’t call it a direct replacement but it was very close.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I did it on one of my openers 3 months ago. It takes 1.5 hours and 2 Dr Peppers.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I went back with a chain. I found Chamberlain branded openers use a less sturdy snap together main rail. Liftmaster branded openers use a heavy duty one piece beam, cost twice as much and come from specialty dealers.

I already had the heavy duty one piece Liftmaster rail setup for chain. I just bought the Chamberlain one and only used the main unit, wall button and remote, keeping my Liftmaster rail.

The bummer was an older vehicles Homelink mirror would not pair with the new security remote.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Exactly what my buddy did...kept the Liftmaster frame and bolted the Chamberlain to it, but did use the belt-drive rail. And I didn’t expect my ‘97 Corolla to pair with the new unit, but oddly, my 2011 Venza didn’t pair either...just using the remote in both vehicles.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
liftmaster and chamberlain are different brands mfg by same company. I think main thing about belt drive is they are a little quieter. I've got 3 chain drive liftmasters that I bought from commercial installer and all have been trouble free. In my old house I gave away a liftmaster from the 60s that still worked good when I upgraded my door.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I installed a Chamberlain belt drive last year. Yea it is quiet but real slow. Has a nice led light that is motion activated. Easy to install, connect bracket over door, fasten rail and lift motor unit up with a rope and pulley.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Huh...I didn’t find my Chamberlain to be any slower than the previous chain-driven Liftmaster. Is there a setting for that on the unit?