SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s Time to Shame Bad Parents
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s Time to Shame Bad Parents Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
An extended thought is "What are we teaching these kids to expect from the government when they become adults?"

If mom/dad won't step up and feed them now, and the government does, what happens to the idea of "family" and "parental responsibility" as these kids, quote, "mature"?

Think we have social maladjustment now? Wait for THAT population to try and mix into society...

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
LBJ would be proud, wouldn't he?

I hope he's in a special part of hell next to Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Marx.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of some parents complaining and feeling shamed and/or entitled because there were too many freedoms and choices available at additional cost. Something like from the time the charter high school my two daughters now attend had first opened to about two or three years before they started attending (several years), they​ had been making and offering a variety of freshly prepared foods as well as the standard school lunches. They had a fully equipped kitchen and cooking staff which allowed them to do this and it was reportedly very good quality food, but of course more expensive. A large percentage of the additional revenue was being invested back into the school which helped pay for campus expansions, staff, and educational electives / programs and equipment. Evidently, some parents ended up "complaining" about the availability of better quality food that was more expensive as opposed to the standard school lunches that were part of school lunch programs and plans. Since the prepared foods could not be provided through the plans or at a reduced price for everyone, the county made the school stop making and selling the freshly prepared food.

Would have been nice to have the fresh food option for our daughters, at least every so often, even though we are happy to send good food along with our kids every day as opposed to what the county chooses to offer as lunch. Because some felt shamed and/or entitled, the school now has a really nice kitchen where they just hand over the cardboard daily ration trays. My daughters say most kids bring their lunches.

For the record, my parents always made sure my brother and I were fed whether it was lunches we brought from home or school provided food.

I wonder if anything will change this coming school year since the Michelle Obama school lunch initiative is now dead?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
LBJ would be proud, wouldn't he?

I hope he's in a special part of hell next to Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Marx.

Roosevelt deserves it more, but Johnson made it worse.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Over 60% of the kids in our county school system are on free or reduced lunches. Mad

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Said it before and I'll say it again, if the parents ignore their kid's bills, suspend the kid from school indefinitely until the bill is paid in full. Somehow, when the parents don't have their daycare service handling and feeding their kid(s) the majority of the day, maybe they'll be motivated to do the right thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post