SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey green thumbers, lend me your thumbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey green thumbers, lend me your thumbs Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted

The bottom of our backyard is slightly sloped and lined with trees along the fence line so it is pretty shaded and fairly wet. What would you do with that area down by the fence??
I am thinking Liriope as you can see I transplanted a few just before winter. Just figure I'd plant a bunch and let it come up to where the grass actually grows.
Yes the grass needs some love but that is in the works as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hedge that would block the fence would look good too. That is if you want to have another job of having to trim it!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The roofs look to have a high pitch. What is your latitude? How much snow? What is the low-average-high temperatures?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The roofs look to have a high pitch. What is your latitude? How much snow? What is the low-average-high temperatures?

We are in Central KY so we tend to get a fair amount of snow. Winter months can average in the 20s and summer can average in the 90s.
Also forgot to add we have a pretty wide yard and if I remember we have 18 of those sections.
So looking for something with little maintenance.
Probably more of a ground cover like loriepi is what comes to mind for me but knowledge is limited.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a limited sun exposure, usually damp area along my retaining wall. We planed "ruby star anise" shrubs and they have done well, even with the wet feet. Drop you in a few of those, mulch the area, and you won't even see the gap in your fence and the shrubs will grow (albeit slowly).

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Hardy ferns, Hellebores.
Be careful about Liriope, some of it is spreading and some is bunching. The spreading will take over your yard.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post