SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is anyone digiscoping ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone digiscoping ? Login/Join 
posted
With either a cell camera or digital camera ?

Would like to hear about your rig
Cam /mount / scope.
Thanks in advance

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean like a colonoscopy???

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had to look up the word. It refers to attaching a spotting scope or a telescope to a digital camera, making a super-long telephoto lens. And no, I'm not doing it (I don't have a spotting scope or an astronomical telescope).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's popular with moon watchers, bird watchers, plane spotters.

For those interested there are more than a few You tubes on the practice

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Man, I want those photons to have to work. Like to travel a few 100,000 light years before it hits my retina; not coming from a tv/computer screen. Authenticity baby!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.
The pics you take with phones or dig cams can be printed on to paper

posted Hide Post
My spotter is not setup to use a "Phone Skope" but I do know some photographers and shooters who do use them to take pictures and videos with their phones with their spotting scopes at high magnification.

Not that complicated with the right adapter.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I have the Celestron NEXYZ 3-AXIS UNIVERSAL SMARTPHONE ADAPTER for my spotting scope and 9.25” Edge HD scope. Takes a bit of tinkering to get alignment. Results are good, but only as good as your optics. I can see differences between some of the eye pieces I have with edge distortion.

Overall B+ for what I’ve got set up and not having the expense of other equipment.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An example of just holding the phone to the eyepiece of the spotting scope and capturing the image:

The picture is of the peak of Mt. Elbert in Colorado from about 7 miles. The nearly invisible tiny black dot on the ridgeline near the center of the image is a hiker.

I always assumed that “digiscoping” just meant using a digital camera to photograph or view something through a telescope of some sort. I’d like to do that with my real cameras and best spotting scope, but was never able to find a proper adapter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit of experience in digiscoping. I use a Kowa TSN- 82SV and a Nikon D7500, using the afocal adapter from Kowa. It's one of the reasons I like Kowas because they have all the parts for digiscoping.

I am not at a computer right now, so I'll keep this short. I can do videos and stills with that setup. You need a good tripod and a good understanding of photography and optics. Not deep knowledge, but know enough about exposure and related stuff.

Ask questions and I will try to answer them and provide more details on my setup.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a Kowa TSN- 82SV and a Nikon D7500, using the afocal adapter from Kowa. It's one of the reasons I like Kowas because they have all the parts for digiscoping.

I have the Kowa TSN-773 and the afocal adapter. I agree with NikonUser--Kowa accessories are really well made for digiscoping. The Kowa scopes were top-rated at the last competitive shoot-out done by the Cornell Ornithology Lab.

I would suggest replying to NikonUser as he has more experience than I do.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Celestron #52270 F5 scope , a Motorola G7 phone ,
and a Sony W800 pocket camera.

It's not looking like I can get just one clamp on adapter .
The scope has been great for bird watching and moon viewing.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have a Meade etx90 that I would like to do something like this ... and wanting to get a 45 or 90 deg erecting prism.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I'm just guessing, but there would be center to edge falloff as to focus. Keep thing in the middle and you should have good results.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
center to edge falloff as to focus

Like spherical aberration?

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
my first thought based on the thread title was alien abduction. What a disappointment.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:
center to edge falloff as to focus

Like spherical aberration?

Yes. Photo lenses have multiple internal lenses, some of which move with others or stay stationary. Aside from how they are grounded (purposes) these tense groups are specific to the total lens function. A micro/macro is designed to have maxim center to edge sharpness. (this is why reversing lenses to use a macros can not achieve the same results as a macro) Wide angles have less. Telephotos for greater distances, but there is falloff. That's about the best I can do - a little rusty on my optics science. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post