SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've found this thread very interesting and the number of posters who basically said "live and let live" is heart warming.

I'm not a Christian but I don't mock Christians nor Christmas. All I want is to not have their ideas forced on me.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
I've found this thread very interesting and the number of posters who basically said "live and let live" is heart warming.

I'm not a Christian but I don't mock Christians nor Christmas. All I want is to not have their ideas forced on me.

As do MOST Christians but sadly some are a bit overboard pushing it upon others which reflects badly upon most of us Christians.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

As do MOST Christians but sadly some are a bit overboard pushing it upon others which reflects badly upon most of us Christians.

Actually, witnessing is a duty of all Christians. It just isn’t taught in most modern-day churches.

I agree. Witnessing comes in many forms. The most difficult one of all is to live by example and love regardless. Christ's principles and standards never change, but free will and accountability is the highest standard in life.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year...
Yet December 25th rolls around and their Facebook page is full of pictures of their Christmas Tree and a bunch of gifts Roll Eyes

When I went to Mass on Christmas Eve with my family it was so crowded that they had an over-flow mass in the gym to accommodate the additional number of people.

My question is: Where are these people the rest of the year?
Are they "mocking Christ and Christianity all year long"? In a way, you could say that they are. But in another way, they probably believe the same as those of us who go to Church every week. Who am I to judge? I'm happy to see them there.

quote:

Yep. I agree. A good Church should be welcoming, not condemning.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much like I am a Christian and not Jewish but would gladly sit down and celebrate a Passover or Hannuakah meal with my friends that are Jewish.

Had the pleasure and honor to be invited to Passover as well as a Bris(?) ceremony.

Bris as I recall it is called, is the ceremony for a baby Jewish girl. A cousin of mine married a Jewish girl and he converted to Judaism. Spent hours with his mother in law discussing a lot of the basics and comparing them to the basics of Christianity.

She had taken a number of "religion" courses in college and was well versed in the details(?) of Christianity.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter: A cousin of mine married a Jewish girl and he converted to Judaism.

What is the fate of an individual who has turned away from Christianity?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter: A cousin of mine married a Jewish girl and he converted to Judaism.

No more discounts at the Sizzler.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Had the pleasure and honor to be invited to Passover as well as a Bris(?) ceremony.

Bris as I recall it is called, is the ceremony for a baby Jewish girl.

Not quite.

A Bris is a ceremony involving a Jewish boy...it is the ceremony of circumcision

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
...then come Christmas which is the Celebration of the birth of Christ

Maybe now, but not originally.

While many Christians claim to have invented Christmas, they actually subverted it from the pagans in the 4th century. Christians were very good at linking Pagan celebrations to Christian holy days to aid them in converting local peoples they subjugated. Early Christians celebrated the birth of Christ in April/May

Pagans had long celebrated the holiday as the Winter Solstice...the return of Light and the lengthening of days. It was often called Yule after the Scandinavian tradition of burning the Yule Log.

Happy Holidays has a closer tie to Christianity than Merry Christmas. The greeting Merry Christmas was considered profane by pilgrims as a corruption of Happy Holidays, which is a contraction of Happy Holy Days.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, witnessing is a duty of all Christians. It just isn’t taught in most modern-day churches.

While this is true witnessing is far from forcing ones beliefs upon others.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year...
Yet December 25th rolls around and their Facebook page is full of pictures of their Christmas Tree and a bunch of gifts Roll Eyes

When I went to Mass on Christmas Eve with my family it was so crowded that they had an over-flow mass in the gym to accommodate the additional number of people.

My question is: Where are these people the rest of the year?
Are they "mocking Christ and Christianity all year long"? In a way, you could say that they are. But in another way, they probably believe the same as those of us who go to Church every week. Who am I to judge? I'm happy to see them there.

quote:

Yep. I agree. A good Church should be welcoming, not condemning.

Not sure I understand the correlation of outwardly mocking Christ and or Christianity and those that do not attend service regularly??

I have not attended church regularly in about 4 years. In no way is this mocking Christ or even close to it.

No requirement to attend a service in the Christianity that I am aware of. Maybe some denominations may require is but Christ certainly does not.

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
...then come Christmas which is the Celebration of the birth of Christ

Maybe now, but not originally.

While many Christians claim to have invented Christmas, they actually subverted it from the pagans in the 4th century. Christians were very good at linking Pagan celebrations to Christian holy days to aid them in converting local peoples they subjugated. Early Christians celebrated the birth of Christ in April/May

Pagans had long celebrated the holiday as the Winter Solstice...the return of Light and the lengthening of days. It was often called Yule after the Scandinavian tradition of burning the Yule Log.

Happy Holidays has a closer tie to Christianity than Merry Christmas. The greeting Merry Christmas was considered profane by pilgrims as a corruption of Happy Holidays, which is a contraction of Happy Holy Days.

While that may be the case I am speaking to the now and they are not burning the yule log.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:....

Bris as I recall it is called, is the ceremony for a baby Jewish girl. ...

Bat (or Bas) Mitzvah (for girls)

Bar Mitzvah for boys.

Bas (Askenazi (typically European Jewish) pronunciation) Bat is Sephardic. (also called Oriental, but not like the food...)

It means, son of/or daughter of the commandant/law (to observe), and is the time in one's life they are fully accountable and responsible to and for the Law (Torah).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
While that may be the case I am speaking to the now and they are not burning the yule log.

There are Christians in this day and age that believe celebrating Christmas is blasphemy. Knew one, personally, a bit better than thirty years ago.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it is a duty. But one must remember to be courteous and understanding when doing so. If it appears that the one to whom one is witnessing that the person is really resistant, then perhaps one should not press it, and let the Holy Spirit work.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Bris as I recall it is called, is the ceremony for a baby Jewish girl.

Not quite.

A Bris is a ceremony involving a Jewish boy...it is the ceremony of circumcision

Correct, and thanks for reminding me! Been a long time, and my 80 YO memory is getting to be like a large meshed sieve. And after a lifetime of exceptional memory, it annoys me to no end.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Was already corrected, but not with this detail.

Been a long time since I had dealings with the ceremonies, and as stated earlier memory is getting worse and worse. Frustrating to say the least.

To extend this a little, That Jewish lady asked me during one of our discussions, who would be in heaven. I think I surprise her a LOT when I said that only Jews would be there. She asked me to explain. So I pointed out that the Bible tells us that when we accept Christ as our Saviour, we are grafted to the true vine and essentially become Jews. She agreed.

Appreciate your comments.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
quote:

Just like the story of the prodigal son, his father was always waiting to accept him back and does so. When a Christian backslides, and we ALL DO !!! Jesus is always there besides us, never condemning us, just waiting patiently. When we realize our mistake and turn back to him, he is there to accept us back 100% with open arms. It is that simple. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure I understand the correlation of outwardly mocking Christ and or Christianity and those that do not attend service regularly??

I have not attended church regularly in about 4 years. In no way is this mocking Christ or even close to it.

No requirement to attend a service in the Christianity that I am aware of. Maybe some denominations may require it but Christ certainly does not.

I agree with you.
The Catholic faith, however, does require regular attendance at mass. Some would say that the C&E Catholics are mocking their faith.
Like I said, I'm happy to see them there, even if they don't attend so often.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:

Just like the story of the prodigal son, his father was always waiting to accept him back and does so. When a Christian backslides, and we ALL DO !!! Jesus is always there besides us, never condemning us, just waiting patiently. When we realize our mistake and turn back to him, he is there to accept us back 100% with open arms. It is that simple. God Bless Smile

I was referring to the individual that converted from Christianity to Judaism. I doubt he is planning to switch back.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
No skin off my nose (and I'm not talking about a bris).

I used to be a mocker 365, 24/7. Now, I'm a Christian. So it doesn't faze me when I come across a mocker.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post