SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone find it interesting when folks mock Christ and Christianity all year Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Yet December 25th rolls around and their Facebook page is full of pictures of their Christmas Tree and a bunch of gifts Roll Eyes

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Although I don't mock Christ and Christian, I am agnostic and my family celebrates the Christmas Holiday. For us it's about family, tradition and culture. I realize for some it has a very deep religious connection and others some lesser degree while still other, like me, have no religious feelings at all about the celebration.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The Left looks at Christmas as a double win.

One, it's a day when there's a lot of giving, so Liberals look at this as an entitlement. Two, it's sponsored by the Christians they despise, so they feel like Christians are working for them on Christmas.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have seen it. I also love how at 6:00 PM Christmas day it's over. No ya got 11 more days.
Yet in the stores, Christmas stuff is up now in October! Come on, give me a break.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah Christ loved his Trees and Black Friday was his best night at getting new members to up their tithe amounts. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I don't mock Christ and Christians...
This is the most important sentiment in this thread. I don't give a damn what you or anyone else thinks about Christmas. The only thing I 'do' care about is that we all stay out of each other's business and allow everyone the opportunity to enjoy the day/season how they and/or their families see fit. For me and mine, its part religious celebration and part a day with family I look forward to every year.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Sort-a like an atheist saying there is no God and then first thing you know when they get into a hard place or are befallen by dire illness the first thing you hear out of their mouth is the phrase "Oh Lord have mercy on me" or something similar.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Do not find it interesting, at all.

Will not get into a discussion of God, Christ or who should believe.

It is, IMO, truly personal issue/choice.

Believe, or not believe. According to my beliefs based on a lot of study we each will stand before Christ and have our actions reviewed and judged.

That makes it personal and no amount of discussion will change it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Anyone find it interesting when folks claim to love Christ and Christianity all year, yet December 25th rolls around and there they are observing a pagan celebration?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Anyone find it interesting when folks claim to love Christ and Christianity all year, yet December 25th rolls around and there they are observing a pagan celebration?

Yep, and a Merry Saturnalia to you!

The question nobody asks is if Jesus was even born in December at all. Once you go down that path, there is no end to the pagan rabbit hole you find yourself in.

But hey, Jesus probably doesn't mind having purely pagon customs and practices attributed to him, right? Eek

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Sort-a like an atheist saying there is no God and then first thing you know when they get into a hard place or are befallen by dire illness the first thing you hear out of their mouth is the phrase "Oh Lord have mercy on me" or something similar.

If you’re really interested in why some atheists and other a-religionists revert to religious pleas in times of great pain or other distress it’s because even today the vast majority of American nonbelievers are exposed to religious teachings during their early childhoods. Most of them become atheists, agnostics, etc., after years of religious indoctrination at the most impressionable times of their lives. As a famous Jesuit* is claimed to have said, “Give me the child for the first seven years and I will give you the man.”

When people are in great distress, they are more likely to be motivated by fear and other emotion rather than by logic and critical thinking. There are countless accounts of soldiers who were dying in combat calling for their mothers. Do they really believe their mothers will suddenly appear and offer them comfort in their death agonies? Probably not, but that’s who they went to when they were little children and that’s who they go back to in their final moments.

The most common expression about all this is, “there are no atheists in foxholes.” That statement is obviously not completely true, but to the to the extent that it reflects some truth, it tells us far more about foxholes and military combat than it does about atheists.

* Who first said that is disputed, but the point is nevertheless valid regardless of who it was.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Since the “Christmas” tree was adapted from a Pagan tradition, nope. I’m atheist and still have a tree and celebrate in the same manner. Religion is not involved on this day for my family. It’s more of a family tradition where we all get together and exchange gifts, decorate, etc.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Believe, or not believe. According to my beliefs based on a lot of study we each will stand before Christ and have our actions reviewed and judged.

Agreed. Not about telling anyone what to believe either I just find it strange folks spend the majority of the year mocking Christ and those that believe then come Christmas which is the Celebration of the birth of Christ and they are all about it.

————————————————

posted Hide Post

High strength to weight ratio.

Posts: 5165 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Agreed. Not about telling anyone what to believe either I just find it strange folks spend the majority of the year mocking Christ and those that believe then come Christmas which is the Celebration of the birth of Christ and they are all about it.

Agreed

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on this forum for a very long time. I've served the American people for over 14 years in a non military function.

So, personally, what is the point of this conversations? I totally believe in Christmas, having been raised in Ohio by Lutherans. I am however, not a "christian". I personally celebrate Christmas and Easter, no matter where I am in the world.

I have never "mocked" Christ. I went through Lutheran catechism, was an alter boy even.

I guess, my point being is that if you are offended by other moronic "chatter" then how strong is your personal faith?

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

If you’re really interested in why some atheists and other a-religionists revert to religious pleas in times of great pain or other distress it’s because even today the vast majority of American nonbelievers are exposed to religious teachings during their early childhoods. Most of them become atheists, agnostics, etc., after years of religious indoctrination at the most impressionable times of their lives. As a famous Jesuit* is claimed to have said, “Give me the child for the first seven years and I will give you the man.”

When people are in great distress, they are more likely to be motivated by fear and other emotion rather than by logic and critical thinking. There are countless accounts of soldiers who were dying in combat calling for their mothers. Do they really believe their mothers will suddenly appear and offer them comfort in their death agonies? Probably not, but that’s who they went to when they were little children and that’s who they go back to in their final moments.

The most common expression about all this is, “there are no atheists in foxholes.” That statement is obviously not completely true, but to the to the extent that it reflects some truth, it tells us far more about foxholes and military combat than it does about atheists.

* Who first said that is disputed, but the point is nevertheless valid regardless of who it was.

Additionally, I think many times people use terms like "lord help me" simply because such expressions are part of our culture, and particularly appropos when one feels somewhat helpless, like their future is not in their own hands. It normally has nothing to do with a genuine appeal to otherwordly powers for non believers.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Cultures evolve. Christmas, as a cultural event is also evolving. It is so much more commercialize than it was when I was young. My response as a Christian is to personally behave more they way I think Christ would as best I can. If the cultural trend continues, Christmas will have very little to do with Christ at all. That's okay, I'll still practice as I see fit.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post

I’m not a Christian and don’t really care what people do or don’t do. Just mind your own beeswax and the world will be a better place. I grew up with plenty of Jews that celebrated Xmas as a cultural event (kids want toys) and that’s all it really is. People who truly love and celebrate Jesus do it on the 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, etc... the 25th is just another day.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:
I've been on this forum for a very long time. I've served the American people for over 14 years in a non military function.

So, personally, what is the point of this conversations? I totally believe in Christmas, having been raised in Ohio by Lutherans. I am however, not a "christian". I personally celebrate Christmas and Easter, no matter where I am in the world.

I have never "mocked" Christ. I went through Lutheran catechism, was an alter boy even.

I guess, my point being is that if you are offended by other moronic "chatter" then how strong is your personal faith?

Then you are clearly not the type I am referring to.

Also, did not mention anywhere that I was offended. Folks mock Christianity all the time and does not bother me in the slightest.

I find it interesting that those who spend all year MOCKING (key word there) get very excited over celebrating one of the most important holidays to that religion.

I did not say I find it interesting that those who are not Christians celebrate the holiday.
You sir fall under the category of not being a Christian but being respectful of the religion and the holiday. I don’t find that interesting or strange at all.

Much like I am a Christian and not Jewish but would gladly sit down and celebrate a Passover or Hannuakah meal with my friends that are Jewish.

Nothing wrong or strange with being respectful of others beliefs that are different than yours and even partaking in their festivities. But when one staunchly mocks and critisizes a religion or belief the majority of there year then partake in their celebrations I find that odd.

————————————————