SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Body repair question for our experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Body repair question for our experts Login/Join 
posted
Major door ding from one of those big metal carts at Home Depot.
Took it in for repairs last week. Wanting to know if my expectations are unrealistic.
Clear coat looks like it is thicker on the edges and has a bit of an orange peel look. More than rest of vehicle.
Also looks like they just sprayed over the couple of chips (size of #2 pencil lead) that were elsewhere on the door. Those are now at least if not more noticeable than before. They are saying they can buff out the clear coat better and I plan on doing so.
Wondering about the chips. Suspect that is not an easy fix.
They also managed to put the emblem on 1/4" out of level so they are replacing that.
Car is a 2018 and nearly new to me and I intend to drive it several years.
All in all seems like kind of a half ass job to me but I recognize that I'm fairly particular.
Afraid having them redo it would look even worse..
For the record this is what I get for parking away from others. Only thing it accomplished was gave the dip shit room to get the cart to ramming speed.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Budget repair? You get what you pay for if you tell them to "fix the dent, cheap".

If you paid top dollar for a door that should look like it never had any damage, make them do it all over and inspect it like you would if you were a buyer looking for evidence of a crash repair. Make sure you run your fingers around the door edge to feel for rough over spray. Dead giveaway, that.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't intended to be a budget repair. Shop came recommended.
Thinking maybe new tech based on the unlevel badge. I mean how do you jack that up unless your head is up your keester.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would need to see a picture of the damage and a copy of the estimate. Sure sounds like a 'budget' repair. I'm guessing they were referred to you by someone who was looking to save some bucks.

Not taking down the chips means they kept the repair in the door and did not blend into other panels for color match.

Its up to you. You got an affordable repair with the minimum amount of repair and repaint done to your vehicle.

Doing it 'right' means painting one if not two more panels. more body work, much more detrim, and probably double the amount you are paying. More invasive, more expensive, more better.

Was the paint damaged from the cart? Usually a paintless dent repair person can get those types of dents out cheaper and without needing repairs.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Would need to see a picture of the damage and a copy of the estimate. Sure sounds like a 'budget' repair. I'm guessing they were referred to you by someone who was looking to save some bucks.

Not taking down the chips means they kept the repair in the door and did not blend into other panels for color match.

Its up to you. You got an affordable repair with the minimum amount of repair and repaint done to your vehicle.

Doing it 'right' means painting one if not two more panels. more body work, much more detrim, and probably double the amount you are paying. More invasive, more expensive, more better.

Was the paint damaged from the cart? Usually a paintless dent repair person can get those types of dents out cheaper and without needing repairs.

Yes there was paint damage. Gouged to bare metal. They also did the front panel and the door to blend it properly. I think the clear coat will buff out and look good. My two concerns are the chips and how the clear coat appears heavy along the edges. They are saying that is unavoidable. Not sure I buy that, thus my questions here.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Even though the damaged portion of the door may be relatively small, the correct way to repair it would involve spraying the entire door. Since the car is only a year or two old, the rest of the paint should be in good condition and easy to match. A casual observer should have trouble noticing the repair if done correctly.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also managed to put the emblem on 1/4" out of level so they are replacing that.

to me that would be a clear indication someone doesn't give a crap about their work and may explain the other issues

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear. Sounds like the shop is not the right one. On a one year old car I too would want it fixed correctly. This shop sounds like a clown operation. I backed my gen 1 Tundra into someting here at t he homestead. Put a decent dent in the tailgate. A local shop said $5-600 to fix, dammit. I wish you well getting it right. Do not accept sub par work.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:

Yes there was paint damage. Gouged to bare metal. They also did the front panel and the door to blend it properly. I think the clear coat will buff out and look good. My two concerns are the chips and how the clear coat appears heavy along the edges. They are saying that is unavoidable. Not sure I buy that, thus my questions here.

If they repaired the full door and blended the paint without taking care of those chips, That's just lazy or customer service.

The heavy clear along the edges could be from them adding chip resistant material under the paint (unlikely) or them not masking off the door jambs correctly.

Did you file this through insurance or paying out of pocket?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If they repaired the full door and blended the paint without taking care of those chips, That's just lazy or customer service.

The heavy clear along the edges could be from them adding chip resistant material under the paint (unlikely) or them not masking off the door jambs correctly.

Did you file this through insurance or paying out of pocket?

Insurance covered it and sent me a check. I then paid shop directly.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Insurance covered it and sent me a check. I then paid shop directly.

Ok, so the paint chips are not related to the accident and therefore not covered by insurance.

HOWEVER

Any half decent body shop would call you up and say, 'hey, want my guy to knock these chips out while we're working on the door and you can pay us an extra $25-$50?'

posted Hide Post
As an Autobody Tech I agree that Scurvy has it right.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I paint cars for a living... OEM and OEM repairs...

There is NO excuse for what they did. A small repair job like that should be invisible. Its not easy, but any real repair shop worth a shit could do it with a good tech. Sounds like these guys are clowns.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cannot use paint to fill in chips.
Chips need feathered out,spot prime, spot the color, keeping the repair small. The color will match if spotted properly. The entire panel / door needs to be cleared.

All urethanes will have a certain amount of orange peel that can easily buff out. You don’t want it too slick as the car most likely has some texture or peel to it. You have to match the peel.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are saying that is unavoidable. Not sure I buy that, thus my questions here.

Crappy jobs like this are inexcusable. BTW the rate of drug and alcohol addiction in body repair folks is off the charts. It takes skill to do good work. I would insist they do the work properly and let your insurance agent know of their crappy work.

I had to take my daughter's car five times until it was properly repaired. Other body repairs have gone elsewhere.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post