SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Healing minor scrapes when diabetic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Healing minor scrapes when diabetic Login/Join 
Member
posted
This old man skin on my legs will scratch or scrape almost by looking at it. If any of you have a similar problem, what do you utilize to treat the problem? I have taken to using snake chaps from ankle to mid calf. Seems everything hits me about the same spot and mostly on my left leg. Takes me a good 2 weeks to get healed up from a very minor scrape. The best thing I've found is called Silver Honey which comes in a salve or spray. I started using the salve, but I've switched to the spray. I've tried many others, but this works best for me. what have you found that works for you?


I had my patience tested... I'm negative.
 
Posts: 116 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Not exactly diabetic but...
I have an A1C that just hovers right near their current magic number. It will sometimes come up a bit higher so I have been on metformin for a little over a year.

I seem to have always gotten scrapes on my lower legs all my life. I usually just ignore them unless they're bleeding. Since I no longer enjoy the rude animal health of youth, I pay a little more attention now.

If I have a concern with a particular spot that is uglier or not healing fast enough, I use an ointment that my wifes doctor gave us, Mupirocin, 2%. She just gave it to us to use in lieu of Neosporin type stuff. This works better. I usually will prep anything I put it on with an alcohol wipe. If I think it will wipe off, I use a bandaid.
 
Posts: 7964 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bandaids and liquid band aid. Being on Eliquis makes it bleed worse. I've come in from working in the yard with blood coming down my leg and the wife asks why I didn't notice.

Clean up and dry, add some liquid band aid and then a regular one on top.

You just have to remember to cover up and now we know why older men always wore socks with shorts Big Grin
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Not exactly diabetic but...
I have an A1C that just hovers right near their current magic number. It will sometimes come up a bit higher so I have been on metformin for a little over a year.

I seem to have always gotten scrapes on my lower legs all my life. I usually just ignore them unless they're bleeding. Since I no longer enjoy the rude animal health of youth, I pay a little more attention now.

If I have a concern with a particular spot that is uglier or not healing fast enough, I use an ointment that my wifes doctor gave us, Mupirocin, 2%. She just gave it to us to use in lieu of Neosporin type stuff. This works better. I usually will prep anything I put it on with an alcohol wipe. If I think it will wipe off, I use a bandaid.


I took my Mother do a Derm appt not long ago fro a checkup and to have a skin cancer removed from her hand,

doc suggested just using vaseline, not Neosporin or similar

not the first time I have heard that,



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
 
Posts: 11557 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
On my nicks and cuts I use Vaseline and breathable bandage and it seems to have reduce the healing time by 3 or 4 days. The secret according to my dermaterrorist is to keep the wound moist.
 
Posts: 55334 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sayman Salve


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I use generic store-brand triple-antibiotic ointment for pretty much everything from cuts and scrapes to chafing, and it has worked very well for me. But my T1D is aggressively controlled and I don't have any circulation issues.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
 
Posts: 12031 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My hands and arms are always bruised, and quite often the skin tears and bleeds. Neosporin and band aids help heal it. getting old sucks for such things.


____________________________
NRA Life Member, MGO Annual Member
 
Posts: 14013 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who was in a terrible industrial accident and lost all fingers and thumb on his hand. He had a rough time healing and tried many different salves etc. What finally got his wound to heal was Bag Balm. Used on dairy cows to heal udders that have wounds. I have some but have not tried it but it is of a similar consistency to Vaseline but has other ingredients. I have been noticing slowing healing myself so might give it a try.



The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
 
Posts: 3179 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Also not a diabetic. I use raw Manuka honey, very effective. The Silver Honey you use is Manuka honey mixed with silver particles for added anti-biotic action.

I actually scraped myself just yesterday, and have the wound bandaged with the Manuka. Healing quickly.



ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"Pen & Sword as one."
 
Posts: 18068 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not diabetic, but any bump to my lower legs will break the skin. If it can be covered with “New Skin” liquid bandage, that’s what I use there and for all minor wounds.

Added, in response to a question to AI Gemini about use of ointments to speed healing:

“If the wound is already clean and protected from infection, plain petroleum jelly (like Vaseline or Aquaphor) is the gold standard. In fact, the American Academy of Dermatology recommends plain petroleum jelly over over-the-counter antibiotic ointments (like Neosporin). Antibiotic ointments don’t heal the skin any faster than plain petrolatum, and they frequently cause allergic contact dermatitis, which makes the wound red, itchy, and slower to heal.”

I had gotten the same advice about Vaseline from a very knowledgeable wound care nurse who was treating a relative.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Triple Antibiotic, sterile gauze, and 4" wide med tape. Wider, less-aggressive tape works better than narrow, more-aggressive.

Prevention: I was frequently banging up my shins with the firewood itself when I was splitting wood, and mostly cured that by improving my technique.


===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
 
Posts: 2346 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!


I had my patience tested... I'm negative.
 
Posts: 116 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Healing minor scrapes when diabetic

© SIGforum 2026