SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Storing frozen meat properly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing frozen meat properly Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. Once again, vthoky's here looking for knowledge.

I recently "split a pig" with a friend, and we picked it up from the butcher last week. I opened up a pack of ribs this morning and realized, "Hey, most all of this is just wrapped in white butcher paper."

There's more pig in this freezer than I'll go through in a hurry, so I'm wondering: is the white paper acceptable for [relatively] long-term storage? Or should I get some zip-lock bags and bag these white packages for some additional protection? What's proper?

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it double wrapped in butchers paper?

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I vacuum seal it, but my grandpa still gets all his meats from a Jewish butcher and it comes the old school way, taped in butchers paper. Brings back memories every time I see the packaging. Worked good enough for him for the last 80+ years.

If it's not frozen yet you can transfer to vacuum seal bags or freezer bags, if it's already frozen, I don't see it making any difference at this point.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's just in butcher paper, it'll degrade quickly; noticeably so at 6 months on. If it has heavy plastic wrap, then paper over that, it's good for well over a year.

Posts: 1703 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Is it double wrapped in butchers paper?

It's one piece of paper, but wrapped around twice.

The meat is frozen already.

quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
If it's just in butcher paper, it'll degrade quickly; noticeably so at 6 months on. If it has heavy plastic wrap, then paper over that, it's good for well over a year.

That's sort of what got my attention -- there wasn't a layer of plastic wrap inside the paper.

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was working as a butcher in '80s and '90s the butcher paper we wrapped our meat in had a small film of plastic in one side.

That being said, I would recomend good ziplock bags or stretch wrap for long term storage.

Seen too much freezer burn on even the plstic lined butcher paper.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
small film of plastic in one side.

This paper does have a film on the inside.

God bless America.

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We get half cows in butcher paper and deep freeze and the meat lasts years. It is not as good as vacuum seal, which we use for stuff we buy, but that meat should be fine if it is already frozen.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fill a sink with water,
Put the meat into freezer ziplock bags
Dip them into the sink to chase all the air out of the bags
Zip them up
Write on the bag before you fill it with meat

Poor mans way of vacuuming the item.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
If you're not going to go through it in the next 6 months or so I'd give it some added protection. If you have a vacuum sealer I'd vacuum seal right in the butcher paper it's already in. If you don't have one you can do it with zip lock bags. Fill a large container with water. Put the meat in the zip lock bag leaving the top of the bag open. Submerge the bag with the meat still in it in the water up until the water is about a inch from the top of the bag then zip the bag shut.

The water pressure will force all the air out of the bag. Closest thing to vacuum sealing you can get and will really help protect from freezer burn and prolong it's freezer life.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Fill a sink with water,
Put the meat into freezer ziplock bags
Dip them into the sink to chase all the air out of the bags
Zip them up
Write on the bag before you fill it with meat

Poor mans way of vacuuming the item.

Works very well.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
small film of plastic in one side.

This paper does have a film on the inside.

From a personal experience selling pre cut front and hind quarters,the filmed butcher paper is only good for 6 months or so.

Otherwise, get the air out of there and wrap it tight.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm buying a whole bunch of Ziploc bags tomorrow!

Thanks, fellas.

God bless America.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I home butcher and wrap with butcher paper. I've got plenty of meat that has lasted 30 months, with little loss to freezer burn.

The important thing is reducing air movement around the meat. It can be as simple as putting it into kitchen trash bags after wrapping. Split the hog into 3 lots. Keep 2 of them wrapped and work out of one. If you are using a self defrosting freezer all bets are off they are horrible.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5153 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, fellas.

Heck of a deal right now.... 150 gallon bags for about ten bucks. I ordered some yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UASJHV0

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I use my Foodsaver all the time!
I buy 100' rolls (6" & 11")of the Bagging film, transfer 50% to an empty core, since it wouldn't fit in the unit. I've added dessident and O2 absorbents, sealed my own emergency food supplies, ammo and a handgun. I know someone that buried an AR for remote safe keeping/emergencies.
They are priceless for preservation.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8369 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Thanks, fellas.

Heck of a deal right now.... 150 gallon bags for about ten bucks. I ordered some yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UASJHV0

Not sure a loaded 150 gallon bag will fit in my freezer

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I freeze the fish I catch in a little water and vacuum seal them. Freezer burn is from moisture evaporating on the surface of the meat. The water adds an extra layer and delays the freezer burn and the vacuum seal delays it further by removing most of the air and creating an air tight barrier.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Not sure a loaded 150 gallon bag will fit in my freezer

Big Grin

God bless America.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Years ago, before I had a vacuum sealer, I'd double wrap my meat in freezer paper. It stayed good for the year.

With the vacuum sealer, I'm eating stuff that's been in the bottom of the freezer for 3+ years and it's still as good as fresh.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post