SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When we used to laugh with each other...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When we used to laugh with each other... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! Many of us still laugh at ourselves and our friends. I refuse to have friends that are looking to be the victim period!

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
That was fun to watch, thanks for posting.
I enjoy watching YouTube videos of the "Old Comics", Rodney Dangerfield,Sam Kinison,Old Tonight Show clips,Married with Children, all of them never fail to make me laugh, hard!
Amazing how comedy has changed, NOT necessarily for the better.
It also saddens me that almost all of them are dead.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Now everyone has got their feelers out just champing at the bit of offense. Sanctimonious outrage is the soup du jour. Can't even have fun anymore in case some sniveling pearl clutcher tries to cancel you. My favorite roaster was Foster Brooks.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I got a kick out the exchange between Martin and Rickles when Rickles said something about being in WWII and Martin says I was in the war I don't remember ever seeing you there. To which Rickles responds that's because they had you facing the wrong way! Rickles was truly one of a kind.

I think Ali might have been getting a little irritated when he was bantering with Rickles and Rickles was using his black slang in a black voice inflection when talking to Ali. Ali asked why he was talking like that and do you talk in Italian slang when you meet Italians? Rickles says No I don't talk to them I just tap dance when I'm around them! Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
There's a Johnny Carson Channel on the TV app Pluto. Totally free, trust me on that.

Anyway, most of the shows are from the 1970's and early 80's. Great stuff.

Heard just the other day:

"So, I heard you just celebrated your Silver Anniversary with your wife. Congratulations. I never made it past Turtle Wax."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Rickles was a master of insult. Like many, I have watched dozens of roast reruns. When I watched them originally, the banter was expected. But, today, I see the pain on faces of those on the dais who were stereotyped. Freddie Prinze was a victim, as an example. Wilt Chamberlain was visibly angry. Nipsey Russell was smiling until it got to him, and he would respond.

It was somewhat obvious that poking fun at a person was expected. Rickles made fun of Gleason’s weight, Benny’s parsimoniousness, Reagan’s intellect, Berle’s age, etc. These jibes were based on personal atrributes. But, facing people Rickle’s may not have known well, he reverted to stereotype, and the word “people.” We need the (fill in the blank) people. I love the (fill in the blank) people. He took the famous person and linked them to that generally accepted viewpoint. Nervous laughter followed, as he took those dangerous liberties.

I think Rickles would have used personally-based roast jokes, had he known the person. But, at the time, knowing a person outside a group was challenging.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Angie Dickinson! Rawr!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post