SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes you can't beat pen and paper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes you can't beat pen and paper Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Yea though we walk through the valley of digital zombies, not all of the youth are completely lost. This young man makes a good case for paper's continuing existence, and I found this vid lifted my spirits at least a little bit:

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
HA!!!! That's amazing!

I use the same 3-pack of pocket notebooks from the Dollar Tree. I always have a pocket notebook and pen in my pocket 99.9% of the time.

I no longer wear shirts without pockets. All my shirts, from Tee shirts to dressy shirts, must have a chest pocket. In that pocket I have one of those pocket notebooks and a Zebra F301 ink pen. I buy the Zebras by the 10-pack at Sam's Club, have been for at least 15 years.

I find that setup indispensable. I also use my iPhone to screen capture things I wish to remember for later, the iPhone notes section I use a lot too.

Funny story, about 2 months ago I had dinner with my Neice and her Daughter. Daughter recently graduated from TCU with a dual bachelors RN & Public Health degree. When she noticed the pen in my pocket she got so excited and grabbed her purse and pulled out several of those same pocket notebooks plus a few medium size notebooks and a handful of pens.

She reminded me that at our previous dinner about a year earlier that she'd sort of poked fun of me for that and that it was so old fashioned. Then she said she'd changed her mind and started carrying the notebooks and pens and it has tremendously helped her career and even impressed her bosses with such. Phone batteries can die, phones get damaged and won't work, but you can always use a pen/pencil and paper.

She's about 25 years old now and I'm so glad for her. She reminds me of a lot of what the young man in the video said. I'm going to send her that video.

And, BTW, I was just telling my brother that I LOVE using a #2 lead pencil. As a retired Editor he agreed.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Zebra F301 ink pen.

Good man.
Once you get hold of an F701, you'll be even more of a Zebra fan. Cool

Back on topic: I'm down with pen and paper. I've got notebooks and pens all over the house. I'm making an attempt this week to keep the to-do list on the iPad, but it's just easier (so far) to grab a notebook.

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Good man you are Sir !!!

I have F701's, they're a bit heavier so I don't like to pocket carry them, but they are all over my desks at home.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Have you swapped the Fisher refill in yet? Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Have you swapped the Fisher refill in yet? Big Grin

No, have not even heard of that, do tell please.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, sir!
  • Grab yourself a couple of Fisher SPR4F refills.
  • Twist off the "front end" of your F701.
  • Remove the original Zebra ink, and keep the spring.
  • Use a small punch (or a dental pick if you have one) to poke the plastic insert out of the front end (it's a small, almost clear cylinder, barely visible -- poke it out from the business end).
  • Put the spring on your new Fisher refill, and put your pen back together.
  • Smile smugly at your F701's superiority over all the pens in your house. Big Grin Done!

I've done this with several of my F701s, converting a couple of them for true "redlining" at work.

Enjoy!

Apologies to apprentice for drifting his thread.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I really believe there is something about the wiring in our brains where by putting pen to paper to express thoughts allows time for the brain to process those thoughts and clarify them. Many a time I was writing up a neurology consult and the information obtained by history taking and physical exam and written down on paper scratch notes didn't coalesce in my mind into a coherent picture till I began writing the final assessment.

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
I really believe there is something about the wiring in our brains where by putting pen to paper to express thoughts allows time for the brain to process those thoughts and clarify them. Many a time I was writing up a neurology consult and the information obtained by history taking and physical exam and written down on paper scratch notes didn't coalesce in my mind into a coherent picture till I began writing the final assessment.

My mom was a teacher. She swore that if we wrote it down/out ten times we would not forget it. She was right.

Posts: 407 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Since November 30, 2006, I've been writing one page entries in a paper journal where I write highlights of what have transpired and three items for which I am thankful. What started out as a daily ambition has morphed into a reliable weekly endeavor every Friday morning. Entry 356 was done last Friday.

I use a Montblanc fountain pen and a journal notebook from Gallery Leather of Maine. I have several fresh ones on standby. I'm on my second book.

I heard about writing things down for which you are grateful makes you happier than people who do not. I heard it on a radio segment while stuck in stop and go commute traffic two hours and fifteen minutes on the 40 mile drive home.

My entry that day included the following: "I spent most of the day at work trying to persuade people to fix a problem by coming to an agreement. The problem was solved but I did not have a sense of accomplishment - only fatigue from mental exhaustion - like an air traffic controller that narrowly averted an air collision."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Love his comment about CS Lewis. Yes I'm a died-in-the-wool-decades-long fountain pen user. Started in elementary school and never stopped. Big Grin

Favorites are my Pelikan Sovereign M1000 OBB nib, Waterman Le Man 100 OB and ST nib versions, and an Italix Churchman's Prescriptor with a custom extra broad oblique italic nib.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree with many of his points. It was a worthwhile video. Thanks for posting it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19243 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I have gobs of notebooks from my time in ATMs. If I didn't write down exactly what I was doing when I did it I was sure it would be forgotten by the time I went to do my report to close the service ticket.

They were

They're all I used when I was sent to ATM school by NCR. I wrote diagrams, hex code translations for dispensers, all sorts of useful stuff.

I kept a Rite in the Rain pen and pad in my jacket pocket in the cold months and in my cargo pockets the rest of the year.

Nowadays I use my grandfather's Cross pen and a felt insert, but I still keep a few dozen pads nearby. I also tend to keep a straight edge around because you never know when an idea for a design might strike. Last year it was making steel/bronze brazed American flags as Christmas gifts. The year before it was designs on making coasters.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nobody can hack into pen and paper....

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
And Google isn't archiving your data for the rest of your life.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
When I was teaching,I was never without a notebook. I’d take notes doing meeting or records interactions with students. Patent-teacher meetings had me refer g back to what had happen. I was taught this in the Army and didn’t see it as important.
That is until I was in a meeting with an administrator and parent, when the student was giving a BS story.
The administrator leaned forward and yelled stop that. You know he writes everything down!” End of BS.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Bob Graham, Governor of Florida was known for this. Sure enough we had him on the boat I used to run for a fundraiser. He wrote down everyone’s name and the time and any other note about the interaction. My name and my previous wife’s name are in a notebook somewhere in a cardboard box I’m sure.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I use one daily, all my important notes in one place, for generic, short term notes that is. I have a larger notebook for "medical", and "house", to keep things centralized for those two life buckets (both are currently falling apart, slowly putting humpty dumpty back together again).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post