SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal Mart cash back - Anyone else having issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal Mart cash back - Anyone else having issues? Login/Join 
posted
For years I've supplemented my bank visits by getting cash back at Wal-Mart or the grocery store.
Currently only have Wal-Mart as an option and I wasn't getting the option again today. Tried two different cards thinking possibly the issue was with the card. Still no luck. This has been going on for at least two weeks.
SIL was able to get cash at same Wal-Mart on Saturday. Know the manager and spoke with her today but she can't figure it out either. Nobody else had got cash back so far today.
Also tried a Save A Lot yesterday and the option didn't come up. According to Discover they do cash back as well.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? We live where neither Chase or Wells Fargo have branches. In fact no "National" banks that have locations in the two places we live.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A year or two back, our Sherriff put out a letter for people to check receipts. It seems some checkers were hitting cashback without the cardholder knowing. After the cardholder left, they would pocket the cash.

I thought it sounded like an internet rumor, but a month or two later, it came back up again. Check your receipts.

I wonder if some banks have nixed the cash back at certain venues.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of locations suspending cash-back currently due to the Wuhan. But since you spoke to the manager, that apparently isn't your issue.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
For years I've supplemented my bank visits by getting cash back at Wal-Mart or the grocery store.
Currently only have Wal-Mart as an option and I wasn't getting the option again today. Tried two different cards thinking possibly the issue was with the card. Still no luck. This has been going on for at least two weeks.
SIL was able to get cash at same Wal-Mart on Saturday. Know the manager and spoke with her today but she can't figure it out either. Nobody else had got cash back so far today.
Also tried a Save A Lot yesterday and the option didn't come up. According to Discover they do cash back as well.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? We live where neither Chase or Wells Fargo have branches. In fact no "National" banks that have locations in the two places we live.

What kind of card were you using? Debit or credit?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Credit as we don't do Debit.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Credit as we don't do Debit.

Ah, OK - you mentioned Discover and that's the only credit card you even have an option of getting cash back on from Walmart.

As long as you hadn't already taken out $120 in the past 24 hours it should have given you the option when you checked out. No other credit card would give you the option for cash back.

quote:
At the checkout station of a participating retailer — either a cashiered lane or self-checkout — your Discover card will offer cash back amount choices, just like a debit card does. Keep in mind that Discover only allows cash over withdrawals to total $120 in a 24-hour period. Some stores will also have additional limits on how much cash customers can request; for example, Walmart limits cash back to $100 per transaction.

Discover does not charge a fee for cash over withdrawals, but some individual stores do charge a small fee for cash-back transactions.

Probably something on Discover's end or the communication link to Discover from Walmart. Just a guess though.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, just verified with Visa that theirs should have worked at Wal-Mart as well. Could currently be a Wal-Mart issue. But that doesn't explain why the SIL had success on Saturday or why Save A Lot didn't generate the offer screen for Discover.
First world problems but still a PITA

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, just verified with Visa that theirs should have worked at Wal-Mart as well. Could currently be a Wal-Mart issue. But that doesn't explain why the SIL had success on Saturday or why Save A Lot didn't generate the offer screen for Discover.

At the register you can only get cash back with a debit card or a Discover card. You can go to the Service desk and get cash from a credit card (for a fee). Communications problems can be very intermittent, the link could have easily been down for a minute or an hour, so unless your SIL was trying at the same time as you she might very well have been successful.

I don't know Sav A Lot's policies on cash back, so not sure on that one.

- John Adams

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, just verified with Visa that theirs should have worked at Wal-Mart as well. Could currently be a Wal-Mart issue.
I have frequent problems with Walmart checkout, the Walmart Pay app often returns a message that claims (incorrectly) that the bank declined my credit card.

When this happens, I use the physical card at the terminal and the charge goes right through. SAME CARD!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

At the register you can only get cash back with a debit card or a Discover card. You can go to the Service desk and get cash from a credit card (for a fee). Communications problems can be very intermittent, the link could have easily been down for a minute or an hour, so unless your SIL was trying at the same time as you she might very well have been successful.

I don't know Sav A Lot's policies on cash back, so not sure on that one.

Thanks for your explanation. That would explain things.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I too have had issues with Wal-Mart specifically. My card has been declined twice there for no reason. Both times I had to go to the ATM and withdraw money from the same account as the debit card to pay for my stuff. I don't know if it's just bad luck at Wal-Mart, but I haven't had that issue with any other vendor.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I got cash back at Krogers today, but I had to pay a .50 fee,I used to not have to pay the fee.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post