SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for an ACTIVE SHOOTER Instructors level course?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an ACTIVE SHOOTER Instructors level course? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
There was some discussion down at my club/range about offering Active Shooter training to the community. The problem I've found is that so far, all the instructor grade courses I've found are LEO ONLY courses.

Does anyone know of a course for civillians who just want to help their community?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Run Hide Fight is pretty simple to teach, and is about all that needs to be taught.

Unless you want to teach the fantasy EDC SEAL grayman courses that some are teaching. That’s largely the reason why you don’t find much in the training department for the general public. Fight if you get the opportunity, if you can make the opportunity to put him down do it,, but you aren’t going to train up people to get into a wedge and start clearing rooms.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALICE offers a great instructor course. https://www.alicetraining.com/...gram/alice-training/

I had a chance to go sponsored by our Church. I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but hey it's a free training credential.

I was very pleasantly surprised! Great course and in Feb we offered the first training at the Church and over 40 showed up from ours and surrounding churches. It was very well received, the practical exercises are what makes it good.

My favorite drill is the 1st one where we make everyone just go hide and they can't do anything else but wait to get shot. Puts a visceral end to that kind of stupidity...which is still the most common thing being taught and emphasized.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the Alliance Training facility in Ohio.

Many limited enrollment courses that sometimes a valid CPL/CCW can help you get into.

Top notch trainers often use it as one of their preferred facilities.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Maybe check in with Sage Dynamics.

https://www.sagedynamics.org/c...ctive-shooter-respon

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The Run Hide Fight is pretty simple to teach, and is about all that needs to be taught.

Unless you want to teach the fantasy EDC SEAL grayman courses that some are teaching. That’s largely the reason why you don’t find much in the training department for the general public. Fight if you get the opportunity, if you can make the opportunity to put him down do it,, but you aren’t going to train up people to get into a wedge and start clearing rooms.

I agree with Jones.

The ALICE program is not bad, but certainly not firearms oriented. We had a teacher who had been ALICE trained stop a stabbing at a restaurant with a chair once. I thought that was fairly impressive.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For non le/mil ALICE comes to mind just as I've seen them. Otherwise some form of structure clearing handgun course and focus on not being shot by responders once the bad guy is down.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Slightly off-topic.

Long ago, when my children were in elementary school, junior high up to high school… they commonly played active shooter roles with the local popo. My youngest would make sure he got the AR15 through either LaRue clothing or jumping in first to demo that he knew the MoA for that platform.

Often shooting much better in the local police by using clever tactics that the police would never think of encountering. In fact they were often banned (after a while) from using the innovative tactics they thought of, in order to bring parity to the underdeveloped first responders in an active shooter situations.

They still got busy and often, even though they were using low accuracy, low velocity simunitions, won the fight. Proud father. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Although primarily designed to instruct school and church staff in Active Shooter incidents you might consider FASTER training as they offer a limited number of class slots to non school/ church students interested in this level of training.

FASTER school/ church Active Shooter training.

ETA- I just re-read the post and realized that an instructor level class is what is being sought and I'm not certain whether FASTER offers this...but it can't hurt to ask.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post