SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoked NC BBQ With Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoked NC BBQ With Protection Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
Another one down. I think I have the rub perfected.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I'll be happy to come over to confirm that! Looks amazing!

quote:
I think I have the rub perfected.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well it's certainly big enough to feed all of SF, we'll be right over.....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic, and well protected!

Would you mind sharing your rub recipe please? I'm always looking for a new home-made one to try.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well it's certainly big enough to feed all of SF, we'll be right over.....

Big Grin

Delicious!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That looks great. Cheers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pawprintsdoc:

Would you mind sharing your rub recipe please? I'm always looking a new home-made one to try.

Damn right, looks good and an SIGPro to match. Well done sir!

I'll post Skins famous rib rub (excellent on any type of BBQ) when I get home.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Looks juicy and tender,that knife is an over match for something cooked to perfection

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Would you mind sharing your rub recipe please? I'm always looking a new home-made one to try.

Damn right, looks good and an SIGPro to match. Well done sir!

I'll post Skins famous rib rub (excellent on any type of BBQ) when I get home.

I for one would appreciate that!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you mind sharing your rub recipe please? I'm always looking for a new home-made one to try.

Also the meat weight, cook temp, and cook time, please.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Where is the vinegar-based dipping sauce?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice bark! Concur on the vinegar based sauce; my favorite to make (and WELL worth the effort) is Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys! It's been a joy. This one I was limited on time so I cooked it at 250 degrees to an internal temp of 200. It took about 8 hours to finish. Normally, I like 225 for ~10 hours as you get a better smoke ring and more smoke flavor. I generally do all hickory or a mix of hickory and mesquite.

My rub is simple and I don't really measure what I'm using so this is my best guess. I dry off the pork butt and coat it in olive oil. It's basically 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, 1/4-1/3 cup of Costco organic seasoning (the large garlic and carrot flakes are what give a solid bark), 1-2 tbs of chili powder, 1 tbs of cumin, 1-2 tsp. of salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp. of cayenne (I prefer more but my kids can't take full strength, and 1 tbs. of garlic and onion powder.

I stick with a simple recipe from Project Smoke. The flavor is so good on the BBQ that it really doesn't need anything but the vinegar and heat definitely compliment the flavors.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
I'll be happy to come over to confirm that! Looks amazing!

quote:
I think I have the rub perfected.

We are very overdue for a Sigforum meet in NC.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I for one would appreciate that!

Skins2881 Famous Rib Rub:

2 Table Spoons:

• Salt (1 sea 1 table)
• Brown Sugar

1 Table Spoon:

• Cumin
• Paprika
• Garlic Powder
• Onion Powder
• Chili Powder
• Fresh Ground Pepper (Fresh is key part)

2 Tea Spoons:

• Oregano

1 Tea Spoon:

• Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tea Spoon:

• Celery Seed
• Mustard Powder

Makes about three possibly four sets of baby back ribs or two or maybe three butts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recipes, guys!

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great cook! Try taking your internal temp up a bit higher say 205 to 210 and then rest overnight if you can you will render much more fat into fantastic pan juice. Nice rub recipe with some good components. I discovered awhile back that when cooking pork butts I just lightly season the raw butt and do the majority of the seasoning after the product is sliced or pulled. Most of the rub is rendered off the butt during the cook I think the pork benefits from the rub much more after the cook. To form more bark spritz with a apple juice/cherry schnapps mix several times during the cook.

I've saved a lot of money in rubs which aren't cheap to make or buy by using this method.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for sharing your recipes! I can smoke meat pretty damn well, but I don't have a rub recipe of my own or even a favorite so I look forward to trying these!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post