SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toilet Recommendations that are not stupidly expensive
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet Recommendations that are not stupidly expensive Login/Join 
posted
Hello, I am just finishing a bathroom remodel, and am looking for a toilet that is modern styled but I am open to a standard unit. I wired in a GFCI so we are getting a Toto washlet seat, and will have an elongated bowl.

Any middle of the road recommendations or anything to avoid?

Thanks

Dan

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I went to Lowe’s and told the dude that I need a toilet that can handle an epic dump. I wasn’t disappointed.. I don’t know the model I got but it’s as good as you’ll get without it being one of those industrial jobs that has the high pressure flush. Usually if there are streaks a 2nd flush cleans em right up. I don’t even need to pee on em while the toilet is flushing to get rid of em. It was about 240 bucks and I’d def. do it again

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Toilets, I've had a few. I've got nothing fancy but no complaints about the Toto Drake. For me, it's been basically stellar. Never any clogs. Never have to flush more than once. Just changed the valve stuff once in about 15 years. Definitely would buy again. I'm sure there are other good ones. And I'm sure Toto also makes some dudes as well. But I've been happy w/ the Drake.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the American Standard Champion Mark IV. It's supposed to be able to flush 24 golf balls at once. I am, shall we say, massively productive in this particular arena and they've never failed me.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We had Gerber Viper toilets put in a few years ago and they’ve been great. I think we paid something like $250-$300 each installed by a professional plumber and old one hauled away.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kohler tall and elongated bowl toilets they sell at Lowe's are very good. I "think" the model is cimaron or something like that. I have two of them and haven't had a clog in the 3 years since they've been installed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I used this American Standard for a bathroom remodel. I like the trap being covered with smooth sides, just cleaner. I wasn’t sure about the dual flush but I liked it. We moved and my teen son has his own bathroom. I’m going to install this one. Elongated bowl. Chair height, etc.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ameri...h-In-Size/1000252663

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
American Std Cadet 3 with slow close lid is about $130 at Home Depot in white.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The Kohler tall and elongated bowl toilets they sell at Lowe's are very good. I "think" the model is cimaron or something like that. I have two of them and haven't had a clog in the 3 years since they've been installed.

I recently put a Koehler Corbelle comfort height with continuous clean in our downstairs guest bath. Coupled with a bidet hose attachment it is without a doubt the best investment i have made in my bunghole. I ended up buying it from wayfair as 2 separate items, one for the tank and one for the bowl and it was cheaper than the combined unit at Lowe’s. But YMMV. I have to say for those that have not tried a “chair” or “comfort” height toilet the extra inch or so really does make a difference.

For the OP: double check your rough in when you buy something new. 12in is standard as measured from the floor attachment bolts. The Koehlers have a kit that will accommodate 10in if needed. I have baseboard and quarter round behind the toilet and the skirt comes right up to and slightly pushes against the trim mounding. So take that into account when you measure.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have Toto Carlyle II models with Toto washlets attached. Very happy with them.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
A few years ago I went to Lowe’s and told the dude that I need a toilet that can handle an epic dump. I wasn’t disappointed.. I don’t know the model I got but it’s as good as you’ll get without it being one of those industrial jobs that has the high pressure flush. Usually if there are streaks a 2nd flush cleans em right up. I don’t even need to pee on em while the toilet is flushing to get rid of em. It was about 240 bucks and I’d def. do it again

The toilet should at least have a brand name on it.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 2 I am familiar with are 1.Gerber Avalanche and 2.American Standard Champion IV That do what they should, get rid of IT. I unplug lots of lesser brands!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I installed two of these yesterday in my 85 yo parents house. About $250 each and the quietest toilet I have ever heard. 1.5" taller than standard and they seem very happy with them.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The house I’m closing on two weeks from now in Florida has a bidet sitting next to the toilet. I’ll give a range report in a month. Lol

Never even seen one in real life. Either a huge waste is space or a game changer.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

The house I’m closing on two weeks from now in Florida has a bidet sitting next to the toilet.
I worked on a project in Puerto Rico for a few years, rented a nice house in the University area, the bathroom was equipped like this.

An old friend (actually a member of this forum) visiting from the states get into the rum a bit heavily one evening. Emerged from the bathroom and announced, "That toilet pisses back at you."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Earlier in the summer I bought out a gunshop,
knew the owner since I was a kid, and went up and bought his remaining inventory,

the Son in Law was there when we were packing and I asked him about the toilet in the bathroom,

a Toto, did not know the model, but apparently the deceased was having troubles, as in stopping up a conventional toilet,

this Toto had a swirling motion, as in the water jets came out 180 degrees apart at the top of the tank, + some action at the bottom

SiL told me it would flush 13 ping pong balls on the first flush,

I just whizzed in it and was impressed

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the cheapest elongated bowl 1pc from home depot, its whatever their private brand is, Glacier Bay I believe. Its been great and I'll replace the last 2pc we have when it gets there. It has the newer height and 1pc makes a damn easy install. Price was right too, under $200.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do-
DO NOT GET A LOW-FLOW TOILET!!!

It's going to take 15 flushes to do what a normal toilet does in 1!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

The toilet should at least have a brand name on it.

Ferguson! Bundy approved.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post