SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Lawnmower won't start...please help me figure it out.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Lawnmower won't start...please help me figure it out. Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
My lawnmower engine turns over, starts (tells me it's getting gas and firing) and then instantly dies out. I can immediately start it again and again and again with the same result. I can't figure out if it's an electrical or fuel problem. If it has enough gas to start right back up, why does it immediately shut off? I think I've ruled out the seat safety switch by jumping it out and the oil pressure switch by unplugging it.

Being a V-Twin, access to the carburetor bowl and fuel shutoff (anti backfire) solenoid is blocked. I'll have to remove the carb to get to them so before I do all that, I thought I'd reach out for some help.

Make: John Deere
Model: GT235

Engine: Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 18HP V-Twin
Model: 350777
Type: 1154-E1
Code: 00052211

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fuel starvation. Fuel filter?

If it was electrical I'd expect it to run until something warmed up, then quit and not run again until whatever that was cooled back off?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Have you been running ethanol gas?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would say some dirt or water in the carburetor.
Does it have a fuel drain from the float bowl somewhere? Drain that, see what comes out and start again.
Also may have a fuel solenoid so check that too.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a fuel starvation issue. Basically flow to the carb cannot keep up with the consumption from the engine. The shutoff solenoid or the float bowl needle and seat would be my likely culprits.

If you don't want to tear covers off and get elbow deep in the carb, I would first disconnect the fuel line and make sure that there is good flow to the carb. If so, then get after needle and seat / solenoid.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's being starved for fuel. Go all the way through the line and check the filter. It may also be the carburetor. They're usually not to complicated to rebuild.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3541 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clean the carb

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
The fuel filter was replaced last season. I did remove the fuel line going to the carb and placed it in a clear plastic bottle, turned the engine over and the fuel pump is pumping gas into the bottle.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your oil level. A lot of engines have a low oil level/low oil pressure sensor. If you have normal oil quantity the sensor might be bad.
Good luck

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Make sure gas cap vents also.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Check the air filter as well as the stuff already mentioned.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Water in the gas? Has it sat all winter with the tank half full? I have the best results with storing mine with the tank completely empty.

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do run ethanol gas...the gas that's in it now was purchased 0n 12-28-19.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

posted Hide Post
As mentioned - fuel starvation.

A little dirt in the fuel to the carb float/needle valve - restricted fuel so it refills slowly, allows enough to start then runs out of gas and it stops. While you’re fiddling around a little more flows in, repeat...

Might be from water/alcohol corrosion in the carb from some fuel sitting over the winter. When I remember to do it, I will shut off fuel to the carb after the last mowing in the winter. Let the engine run until it runs out of gas. This empties the carb for the winter.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm going to have to tear it apart and see what's going on. I think the Reverend has hit the nail on the head.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
It's fuel 100%. The reason it's starting and dying is the float bowl is getting drained and not refilling fast enough. Make sure you have clean gas, tank, filter and lines and then if that still doesn't do it, the carb needs a quick rebuild. Kits are pretty cheap for most mower engines. Disassemble, soak everything with carb cleaner, blow it all out well and re-assemble with fresh gaskets. Could be clogged needle valves, stuck floats or a combination that why it's best too just do a strip down and total rebuild.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The carbs on these are a piece of junk. I had a GX 345, about the same thing but liquid cooled. Fortunately, it was stolen last fall. I put one $350+ carb on it, still had running problems and lack of power, and I WILL NOT use ethanol gas. That carb is a true pain in the butt to get to. The hood pulls of to the front, unplug the lights first. Then take off the heat shield, and you may be able to get the float bowl off. Be very gentle, this stuff is quite fragile. Leave the float alone, as the hinge pin is pressed in. Spray it good with carb cleaner, carefully put it back together and hope for the best. Good luck.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others - given the information so far I'd guess that the carb is dirty and it's starving for fuel.

You might want to try running some Seafoam through it before you tear it apart. I've had reasonable success with that in the past if it wasn't clogged up too bad. I believe Seafoam has a pretty high level of naptha (a cleaning agent).

I've switched to running non-ethanol gas as well and have much better luck with my small engines since.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
Yes, I do run ethanol gas...the gas that's in it now was purchased 0n 12-28-19.

Did the ethanol gas sit in the lawnmower over winter?

Posts: 9056 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I've switched to running non-ethanol gas as well and have much better luck with my small engines since.

^^^^ THIS!!!!

Posts: 9056 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post