SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calculus, Hard For An Old Fart To Learn!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calculus, Hard For An Old Fart To Learn! Login/Join 
posted
OK, long story short. I did well in math in high school and college. I came up with a scheme where I would do my homework (same problems) two or three times. Don't even think I was a dedicated student, I was just trying to make a future for myself. The only thing that could happen on tests was that they would change the numbers. Hell yes, I could do that. It worked out quite well for me. Thank God I'm not calculating loads on a 787 wing or a load on any part of a sky scraper. Today I only need to figure out how to make a software fast. Algebra at best, but mostly common sense.

I'm trying to prove to myself that I can do that calculus stuff (at 62 years old). Any suggestions from you math gurus? Maybe retake Trig, then Calc?

I promise I'll change my ways on the homework stuffBig Grin

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I never took any of those courses you mentioned, so you're on your own.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1730 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I got my butt royally kicked in calculus. It may have had something to do with the fact that it just seemed like useless algebra taken to a higher level. When the prof mentioned that the use of taking a derivative was to calculate the slope of a curve at any given point and the use of taking an integral was to calculate the area under the curve, the light bulb came on. “Gee, thanks prof, that really helps. Wish it had come in the first week of the course instead of the last, but thanks.”

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That was me ^^^^^

I'm currently trying to decipher limits and how to calculate them. Oh, it all revolves around that shitFrown This old man wants to learn it but can he?

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I flunked Calc.

Twice.

Once with a single digit grade.

I'm out.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Khan Academy is a good resource to help you out.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
You think Calc is hard, try figuring out “Common Core Math” if you were taught the “old way”. Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Khan Academy is a good resource to help you out.

Exactly what I was looking for... probably the precalc course. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
You think Calc is hard, try figuring out “Common Core Math” if you were taught the “old way”. Eek

Common Core will never land us on the moon, or break the sound barrier, etc. It will give us a participation ribbonFrown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Exactly what I was looking for... probably the precalc course. Thank you.

You're welcome. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Common Core will never land us on the moon, or break the sound barrier, etc. It will give us a participation ribbonFrown

Say what you will about Common Core, but it got my 16 year old through AP Calc, with a full 5/5, as a junior in high school...so she gets the college credits

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
quote:

Say what you will about Common Core, but it got my 16 year old through AP Calc, with a full 5/5, as a junior in high school...so she gets the college credits

Cool, good for her! Congrats dad.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool, good for her! Congrats dad.

Thanks, I'm still a bit in disbelief that they teach Calc in the 11th grade high school

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Good for you! You'll definitely want to freshen up on trig, since there is a whole section of calculus dealing with trigonometric substitutions.
Best of luck to you!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good gosh, this sounds like my dad. I'm 57, my dad would be 83 if still alive. He was Phi Beta Kappa at Vanderbilt (class of '56), and was the highest ranked Business Administration graduate in his class.
When I was growing up (early 70's), on occasion I'd ask for help with my math homework. As often as not, he'd look at the problem, think for a bit, then state "Oh, this is the new math". OK, thanks!! Eek Razz

Oh, and for my Calculus history, I did well until I hit 3rd level Calculus at Auburn. Then it went totally south (and you can't get much more south in the contiguous USA than Auburn, Al.) I had a professor than was a few years past retirement. He did not want to be in a classroom anymore. He looked angry, was angry, and wore the same damn sweater every single day.
To say he was not helpful would be a mild understatement. From talking with others in the class, many more than half of us failed. That basically ended my quest for a mechanical engineering degree. I was paying for most of my college expenses at the time, so I couldn't afford another go at this professor. Dropped out, made some more more money, and went back to get a History degree, with minors in Psychology & Business.
But I'm not bitter (asshole Calculus teacher)...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Learning from a book isn't the best way from what I hear. It's doable but not easy especially if your not use to reading math books which is a skill in itself. Try to talk to someone who knows the subject and can guide you. Also ask lots of questions. Khan academy is a great resource. I like spivak's calculus book for self study. Having a solid foundation with trig and basic algebra will pay dividends if your gonna tackle calculus.

pauls online math notes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Underworld2086,

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I would take an intermediate algebra class to refresh your algebra skills. If you know algebra really well, it will make calculus that much easier on you.

The biggest thing I have seen is people start off defeated because they have been telling themselves, for years, that thy're not good at math. Anyone can be good at math if they practice.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
3blue1brown has some interesting YouTube videos on the subject. He explains the concepts in different ways than I was ever taught.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
There are two aspects for you to consider:

1) There are the manipulations involved in performing various operations. Anyone with reasonable skills in such manipulations can learn to do the operations in Calculus.

2) Then, there is the real understanding of what Calculus is about. For many, this is a difficult leap, because it involves understanding infinity and infinitesimals. Our minds are finite, so it is difficult for many to grasp these concepts, as they can't quite be visualized.

My recommendation is to master the manipulations and, if necessary, "suspend your dis-belief" on the theory. Once you have mastered the manipulations and are comfortable with them, it is easier to become comfortable with, and ultimately understand, the theory.

I never really understood Calculus until I took a course in Real Analysis where we began from the fundamental definition of integer numbers, extended them to rationals, and then real numbers. Then we studied the basics of point set topology, the fundamental definitions and theorems of limits, "epsilon-delta" proofs, convergence of sequences and then series.

Good luck.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's not all that hard, if you know and like algebra.

The "Cartoon Guide to Calculus" and "Calculus and Pizza" books both are very approachable, and will give you a sense of what calculus is trying to do.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post