SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Income-share agreements are a novel way to pay tuition fees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Income-share agreements are a novel way to pay tuition fees Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Interesting concept that I saw on my alma mater's (Purdue) FB page. One of the cool things Mitch Daniels, Purdue's president, has brought to Purdue as well as earlier this year Purdue announced its 7th straight year without a tuition increase.

What are your thoughts on Income Sharing Agreements instead of Student Loans?
quote:
Income-share agreements are a novel way to pay tuition fees

They shift risk from students to investors and nudge universities to think about employability

Jul 19th 2018

TO PAY for his professional flight degree at Purdue University in Indiana, Andrew Hoyler had two choices. He could rely on loans and scholarships. Or he could cover some of the cost with an “income-share agreement” (ISA), a contract with Purdue to pay it a percentage of his earnings for a fixed period after graduation.

Salaries for new pilots are low. Mr Hoyler made $1,900 per month in his first year of work. Without the ISA, monthly loan payments would have been more than $1,300. Instead, for the next eight-and-a-half years he will pay 7.83% of his income. He thinks that, as his pay accelerates, he will end up paying $300-400 more each month than with a loan. But low early payments, and the certainty that they would stay low if his earnings did, made an ISA the better option, he says. “I’ve been able to pay what I could afford.”

Most American students take out low-interest, federally backed loans, the stock of which has grown steeply in recent years (see chart). Balances are usually written off after 20 years. That is the only insurance built into most students’ debt. Though repayments can be linked to future income, only 29% of borrowers opt for this. And total loans are generally capped at $31,000. In 2016-17, 6% of undergraduates topped up with private loans, which have higher interest rates and no debt forgiveness.

ISAs, by contrast, act as equity, not debt, with investors taking a share in a future income stream. Risk is shifted from students to investors, who can pool and diversify it. Graduates who fail to land steady or lucrative work will pay less than the cost of their tuition. Caps on repayment mean high-fliers do not end up paying back fortunes. ISAs also align the interests of borrower and lender, since investor returns are tied to a student’s career progress. Investors will offer better terms to students at universities whose graduates earn well.

ISAs have been mooted before as a way to spare American graduates from mountains of debt. In 2014 bills were introduced in Congress that would have put them on a firm legal footing—setting maximum loan terms, for example, and ruling that, like ordinary student debt, they would not be dischargeable by declaring bankruptcy. One firm, Upstart, briefly marketed them directly to consumers. But the bills went nowhere and the idea fizzled.

Similar proposals are once more being considered in Congress, but that is not the main reason why ISAs are attracting attention again. What has put them back on the agenda is the involvement of universities, which are starting to offer ISAs through their financial-aid offices, with outside investors providing some of the capital. Universities spy a way to lower their students’ debt burden and spare them from having to take out private loans. Investors regard this as a sign that an institution is confident in its graduates’ earning power, which reassures them about the extra risk in an equity arrangement, compared with conventional student debt.

Purdue introduced ISAs in 2016. The first participants graduated last year, having used ISAs to cover fees of $12,000 on average. Funding came from its endowment, which saw returns of 5-7%. Now it is raising capital from outside investors. Two other universities, Clarkson University in New York and Lackawanna College in Pennsylvania, have recently begun ISA schemes. One investor expects that another dozen will follow this autumn. The share of income signed over ranges from 2% to 17%, with students in high-earning fields, such as medicine or engineering, usually paying a smaller share of earnings for a shorter time than students of literature or fine art.

For investors, the safest bets are students on vocational courses—nurses, plumbers, computer programmers and the like—where postgraduate employment is the express aim and wages are predictable. The difficulty with less vocational subjects is in assessing whether a course will boost salaries sufficiently for the deal to make sense. Most universities rely on alumni surveys to find out how much their graduates earn, so data are patchy.

The stock of ISAs is tiny. Some 3,000-5,000 American students have used them to cover $40m in tuition costs, estimates Charles Trafton of FlowPoint Education Management, which creates and invests in ISAs. For comparison, in the 2016-17 academic year, private student loans totalled $11.6bn. Mr Trafton says he is buying ISAs for their combination of social impact and an investment return that he believes will match or exceed those for private loans, which are in the range of 4-15%.

Only universities that are confident of their courses’ value on the jobs market will be interested in partnering with investors, says Mr Trafton. “Those that know their tuition is overpriced and unconnected to the economic value of their degrees will never have ISAs.” He puts the latter cohort at 70% of four-year universities.

Universities that do take the plunge will be tracking their graduates closely. That in turn will make pricing easier and help expand the market. Over time they will get fine-grained data on their graduates’ employment and salaries, says Tonio DeSorrento of Vemo Education, which operates ISAs for several institutions. Some may even adjust their educational offerings to protect their investments.
I'm in favor of it as I've believed for a long time that the access to large student loans for any degree (e.g. gender studies) is ludicrous and it also was a major contribution to the runaway inflation of college/university degrees.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Nope. These idiots want the gov't to forgive their debt, wouldn't be too long before they demand the school forgive their debt.

Well, the author uses the correct wording anyway: Scheme. It's what it is. Engineering degrees will be paying the debt of liberal arts degrees with that 7% return.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on a few things, like A) term, B) wether there is a CAP on pay, C) are stock options covered as well.

I mean, my wife is a teacher, and 7.83% of her first 10 years of income is roughly what she had loans for. Now if it were for 20 years, hell no.
Also, the guy they mention having $1300/ student loans - wtf? That means he had $128,000 in student loans (assuming a 10 year am at 4%). People need to understand that going to Duke to teach elementary education at $34,000 will never pay the bills.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
It's not the worse idea...I still think schools should co-sign Federal Loans.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Nope. These idiots want the gov't to forgive their debt, wouldn't be too long before they demand the school forgive their debt.

Well, the author uses the correct wording anyway: Scheme. It's what it is. Engineering degrees will be paying the debt of liberal arts degrees with that 7% return.

What? Did you read the article?

This is the free market at it’s best - want money for your education? If so, here is one way that a free market would address this.

Unless you like the current system of treating every college and major alike and throwing millions of dollars away.

This shifts the burden from the .gov (I.e. taxpayers) and to the school, who underwrites the loan. The incentives are aligned here, the school is incentivized to reduce costs, and the student to maximize earnings.

Posts: 2348 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come on now. I have a liberal arts degree and make more than an average Engineer. Not all of us are penniless.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

What? Did you read the article?

This is the free market at it’s best - want money for your education? If so, here is one way that a free market would address this.

Unless you like the current system of treating every college and major alike and throwing millions of dollars away.

This shifts the burden from the .gov (I.e. taxpayers) and to the school, who underwrites the loan. The incentives are aligned here, the school is incentivized to reduce costs, and the student to maximize earnings.

Agreed. You make a deal with the university. That is the deal. So what if someone wants to be let off the hook? I'd like to be let off the hook for my car loan, but it ain't gonna happen.

Sounds like a viable private solution to education loans. That is what it is, after all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Come on now. I have a liberal arts degree and make more than an average Engineer. Not all of us are penniless.

This. Plenty of non-engineering fields pay well. Especially given solid experience - work history after a few years.

Trouble is there are too many graduating with irrelevant degrees with expensive private / out-of-state debt.

And not enough exploring vocational opportunities.

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar offers from coding schools in the bay area. Tuition is free but the school gets a percentage of your future earnings for a period of time to pay off the tuition.

This sounds like a very good model. The school is going to do a much better vetting process to enroll students and they're going to put out employable graduates for them to make money.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20081 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

There are exceptions to every rule, but that doesn’t mean the rule is invalid. Wink

Of course you might not understand that, being a liberal arts major... Big Grin. <humor>

Overall it’s an idea that may have merit - nobody is forcing people into these agreements and it may make sense for some.

It isn’t a one size fits all world.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Marines, the streets going to the front gate had many places of business. The signs on the front of buildings on everything from car lots to tattoo joints read "Financing E1 and up". And many a Marine fell for it.

Modern education is the same thing. The "easy terms" translate into the fact that it is free money. Until the check comes due, and then no one wants anything to do with it.

I heard talk a few years back of turning the Marshal's loose to collect defaulted student loans through asset seizure. I guess it never happened.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37197 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post