SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW Heritage bike thoughts.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW Heritage bike thoughts. Login/Join 
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions everyone, thanks again.

Damn, I wish I didn't see that Rocket 3 GT on Triumph's site.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles...167/configure#config

Looks like a beast, maybe too much. Hmmm.

That Bonneville Speedmaster looks damn nice too.
https://www.triumphmotorcycles...ter/speedmaster-2023

Oh Hell...here I go. Cool

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never been on one, but the Rocket seems like a beast of a ride. Same displacement as my Explorer Eek
IIRC, the GT has a more forward control foot position & the R is a more mid-control setup.

Speedmaster seems about as 'cruiser' as you can get on a Bonnie, but still likely to sit a lot higher & more upright than the R18.

All good choices, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a street triple this year, I went in thinking I was going to get a speed twin, but the salesman convinced me I would be happyer with the triple, plus it was less money. I am happy with the triple, but still think I would of liked the twin better. Get whatever bike you like.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The triple always struck me as a sportier ride & riding position, while the twin is based on the Bonneville & a bit less racy, until you get to the Thruxton, at least.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:

What's everyone's thoughts on BMW bikes?
I no longer ride, but I have had many BMW's, starting with my 1960 R-50 (stock photo below).

The absolute best resource that I have found for all things associated with BMW motorcycles is an old-time guy named Tom High. He operates Rennsport Motorrad, where he services BMW's, from the old classics to the modern bikes, operating from a large shop in the industrial park that surrounds the Deland, FL airport on US Rte 92, between Deland and Daytona.

He has quite a few restored bikes for sale, as well, and usually has some on consignment.

If you're considering a BMW motorcycle and want a bit of an education from a guy who knows them inside and out, it's well worth your time to visit him.

In addition to servicing, he races the classic old bikes. (You know he's A Good Guy -- he shoots black powder.)

My first BMW, bought new in 1960, I got change from $1,000:

Thank you for posting that reminder - to me - of THE most beautiful motorcycle family member ever - the R69S - count the fins on the heads. I started off with a R25, then R50, R50S with Steib sidecar, then an R60 and ended up with the R96S.

And then BMW went all modern, with plunger forks instead of Earles, and got huge, and I lost interest. My R69S had the five-gallon tank, and went like the wind in almost total silence. I sold it for almost three times what I'd paid for it, and apart from playing with a Yamaha trail bike for a while, have never been back there.

Posts: 11335 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The R18 lineup is too small for me. I'm only 6' tall but the heads are right where my shins need to be which makes the overall experience painful after about 10 minutes. The R9T is a pain in the ass....Literally! The seat is a torture device. It left bruises on the inside of my thighs where the seat seam is. Cool bike with lots of torque otherwise. My favorite Beemer's are the S1000XR, GS (or GSA if you need range), K1600. They're nimble and ride like they're on rails compared to lots of other bikes out there. I did the test rides when I was at Biketoberfest last year and they brought every model down for it, so you should get a ride on any bike you'd like.

Take a few days to attend Biketoberfest and get a test ride on models that tickle your fancy. I Rode Indians, HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Slingsthots while I was there last year. Would have loved to ride more but some of the vendors aren't great about having test bikes available (I'm looking at you Ducati and KTM). Anyway, we're not hurting for lack of choices when it comes to 2 wheels. I hope you find something and enjoy it.

Posts: 2835 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I will echo everyone else regarding the test rides at biketoberfest. Best test ride of my life was there on a BMW.
Having said that, I just got back into riding this summer, after having been without for about 5 years. Now riding a Road King, which I really like for the comfort and hard bags, which I have never had. I do wish it handled better and moved out a bit better, but I think that may get me into more trouble than it is worth.
I would take the time to test a number of different bikes and go from there. I do like the Triumph stuff as well, that and the BMW would be at the top of my list.

Posts: 795 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone,

Great advice here and I do need to test ride a few. I’m now looking at several options. Crazy, I always thought Gold Wings were over the top but now I may want one:
https://powersports.honda.com/...SEAAYASAAEgKB7fD_BwE

I’m digging the Automatic DCT. It’s pricey and I’m not sure if I’d embrace the automatic. Man that thing is loaded though. It can probably scratch the doins too via some button.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the Ducati Diavel also. For me, it would be a Rocket R3 or the Duc.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Wing has downsized from those previously humongous bikes

What kind of riding are you going to be doing, putting back and forth to some stores, maybe a couple hours of riding on a weekend or some serious touring.

Figure that out and you can narrow down the choices, Bikes like the Gold Wing, HD Road Glide/FL Series, BMW K1600 GTL all are purpose built long road haulers, different approaches but basically for longer rides.

Even the R18 has a touring model in the line now the Transcontinental or a basic cruiser level.

Figure out the way you want to use it and then get into finding the right bike for that.

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Yes I have been looking at the Ducati too. I’m hoping I can ride with a passenger comfortably. My wife is against this but I can sell her on riding with me often. Cool

Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Rides will be all over the place in terms of length/purpose but no serious overnight touring. A couple bags on back and some passenger comfort would be great but not full dress. That’s why I’m eyeballing the Gold Wing model and R18 in my links. Also again, considering a Street Glide.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I bought a ‘22 HD FLHP (Police Road King) last year. I added rear floor boards, a back seat and a top box and my wife loves riding it as much as I do. We probably would have ended up with a Gold Wing if they weren’t $8k more than the cop king out the door. Maintenance is simple on the Harley and I do all of my own wrenching so that was a plus. I’ve also added a taller windscreen and gps for myself, but other than that, the bike is factory.

Her name is Betty…Betty White Big Grin

When I win the lottery, a GW will definitely be in my garage. They’re exceptional machines and the DCT is beautiful. Only complaint from some is poor low speed maneuverability but if you’re not involved in tight cop courses, that really isn’t an issue.

I will say that the BMW GS makes a great 2 up machine also but they’re a bit too tall for a lot of riders. Take your wife with you on the test rides and figure out what suits both of you

Posts: 2835 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
Rides will be all over the place in terms of length/purpose but no serious overnight touring. A couple bags on back and some passenger comfort would be great but not full dress. That’s why I’m eyeballing the Gold Wing model and R18 in my links. Also again, considering a Street Glide.

OK that narrows it down, I have a Full HD Road Glide Ultra CVO, it's kin to the Gold Wing type of machine. It's good for both around town or longer rides with the big bags and tour pack, luggage rack, cruise, heated seat and grips.

Mutedblades RK is basically the same model HD without all the farings, tour pack and creature comforts of the RG.

My preference is the Road Glide over the Street glide, the big difference is that the RG faring is frame mounted.

Anyone of the heavy tour bikes you listed are good bikes.

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I personally dislike the BMW flat engines. They are very "uninspiring".
I'd also recommend the Triumph, Moto Guzzi, or Indian as they are all way more fun in my experience.
Hardley's are a hard no for me.

Here's the bike I'm looking hard at for some longer touring type rides with my girl.
https://www.ktm.com/en-int/mod...290-superdukegt.html

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a couple HDs and liked them but leaning for something different this time otherwise I’d be hunting down the Street Glide I want and call it good.

Always loved my Hondas, street bikes, dirt bikes and cars. That’s some impressive stuff listed in that Gold Wing. I bet it’s smooth too. I notice I’d have to go with the DCT Tour to get the electronic preload suspension. I’d probably leave the trunk off 90% of the time. For the extra $1300, I get the removable trunk/backrest and the electronic suspension which I think would be worth it. Price is getting up there but I’d be getting a lot of smooth, reliable bike. Hmmm.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Goldwings are excellent doing what they do best which is touring and or carrying passengers in comfort. If I had a Tour model I'd just leave the trunk on but I don't carry a passenger on anything other than the occasional short ride so I bought the non-Tour version w/o the heavy trunk up high and behind the axle. With the opposed engine and gas under the seat, weight is very low on the bike so it's an easy big bike to ride, it even has a forward and reverse crawl mode. The DCT really works well both in auto or manual modes. Probably what I'm most impressed with is the compliment ride with its front wishbone suspension over bad pavement and gravel, but right behind suspension is the smooth torquey motor and dual clutch transmission. I believe most anyone would be far happier with a Goldwing over an R18. The K1600GT is BMW's Goldwing competition and from all accounts it's a nice tourer with even more power than the Wing. But it's pretty top heavy.

The 2 main reasons I replaced my Road King with this bike are ride quality and heat management, the RK was hot in warm weather and punishing on rough roads. I took the Wing on a ride across the midwest to Montana and Idaho in July and it made a wonderful touring bike on all types of roads and in temperatures as high as 107 in western ND. In places I set the cruise to 85mph and just sat there enjoying the scenery pass by.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7118 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Very nice Gold Wing! I love that color. What year is yours? On the 2024? Tour DCT w/auto I guess I’d go black. I really like the gray of the non Tour DCT though. For $1300, I’d like to get that electronic suspension and trunk in case I’d ever need it and to make it a more comfy ride for my wife.

Great advice from everyone. Thanks again.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wasabi. I don't care for matte finish paint but this was the only Goldwing (non-tour) color for 2022. But I really like the bike and have come to at least not hate the matte blue color. Smile

The Goldwing Tour comes with the trunk, electric adjustable rear suspension preload, and a few other little items, but it's $4,000 more expensive, not $1,300. Goldwing DCT is $25,600 vs Goldwing Tour DCT $29,600. But if you plan on having a passenger for anything longer than short rides get the Tour. My only other Goldwing was a 2001 which came with the backrest/trunk and my wife loved riding back there on that big seat with back and arm rests. But as I mentioned I basically ride solo now and the panniers hold enough stuff for me 90% of the time, for the 10% if I need to pack more things like camping gear I strap a Drybag on the rear seat and tent on the rear rack which keeps the weight lower and more forward.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7118 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for catching that. I was eyeballing these off of my phone on an airplane. Yes, $4k more makes a big difference. I'm just wondering how much I'd need that electronic preload suspension?

Yeah, at first I didn't like matte paint colors but I think they look good in certain colors and applications. Your 2022 Gold Wing is one of them. Maybe I can find a used one or a leftover new stock? I do like the gray too though on the 2023 non Tour DCT.

Thanks again for the excellent input.