SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW Heritage bike thoughts.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW Heritage bike thoughts. Login/Join 
Picture of Wasabi
posted
I've had motorcycles/dirt bikes most of my life but haven't had one for a while now. Sold my last one (HD) when I thought it was getting too dangerous out there and a bit boring on my local riding areas (flat, hot FL roads). Now I have the itch again. I'm too old for a mid-life crisis, just think I want another bike and the breeze between my knees again...I think. My wife says I'm nuts and she is against it. Maybe she's right?

I've had several different brands of bikes over the years but never a BMW. I had a BMW 5 series car that I liked very much until it got up there in miles and no warranty as it started costing a lot to maintain.

What's everyone's thoughts on BMW bikes? I'm specifically eyeballing a the Heritage series R18 B:
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com.../heritage/r18-b.html

Thanks for any input.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wasabi,

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
No specific knowledge of those exact bikes. I've had a 94 RS, 98 GS and a 2010 GSA.
Had good luck with all three.
Repairs can get costly if out of warranty. I did the majority of my maintenance on the first two and had the GSA under warranty.
Those don't appear to have the telelever front end that kept me on R bikes.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed riding BMW motorcycles since 1977 so I am fond of the brand and most of the bikes they've made. I'm considering the new R1300GS right now. While the R18 is interesting looking it not a very good motorcycle. It utilizes styling cues from /2 and older models but the R18 is literally double the weight, it's a huge motorcycle, yet it doesn't perform very well. Many complain of excess engine heat. In order to move them BMW has had to offer big incentives along with dealer discounts. The dealer I frequent told me over a year ago that is sorry that he let BMW talk him in to bringing so many R18's in but they were persistent. Needless to say resale price is low on them so look for a nice used one if you decide.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys,

I literally just started eyeballing the Heritage bikes...want a nice cruiser/short trip tourer. This was my first inquiry on them here but I will continue to do my due diligence. Discounts and lower priced used sound great but I'm not that broke to get a bike that may not be up to my expectations. Maybe I need to go back to eyeballing that Street Glide I've always wanted?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:

What's everyone's thoughts on BMW bikes?
I no longer ride, but I have had many BMW's, starting with my 1960 R-50 (stock photo below).

The absolute best resource that I have found for all things associated with BMW motorcycles is an old-time guy named Tom High. He operates Rennsport Motorrad, where he services BMW's, from the old classics to the modern bikes, operating from a large shop in the industrial park that surrounds the Deland, FL airport on US Rte 92, between Deland and Daytona.

He has quite a few restored bikes for sale, as well, and usually has some on consignment.

If you're considering a BMW motorcycle and want a bit of an education from a guy who knows them inside and out, it's well worth your time to visit him.

In addition to servicing, he races the classic old bikes. (You know he's A Good Guy -- he shoots black powder.)

My first BMW, bought new in 1960, I got change from $1,000:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a Street Glide or Road King over an R18. But here's an example of a used but like new R18 with 700 miles. https://www.kissellmotorsports...r=xPreOwnedInventory

If BMW you might look at a R1250RS (with optional taller R1250R handlebars).

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My BMW Motorrad experience has been love/hate. When my R1150GS is running it’s fun. You wouldn’t believe how light and flickable that heavy thing can become at speed. For a 5 speed it is geared to the moon and doesn’t like to be in 5th gear unless you’re going 70+ mph!

I have always found myself drawn to the BMW boxer twin. I have two of them currently and neither one runs. Big Grin That isn’t really BMW’s fault. One is a R100 project bike the other, my big GS just needs a new fuel pump installed which I really need to get around to doing.

The R NineT is the one that I find myself really wanting.

If the cruiser version catches your fancy I say go for it! Ignoring all the advice from my friends and family and buying a gorgeous V twin sport bike was one of the best decisions I ever made. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of Beemers - an R75 and a K100RS. Nice bikes but all the parts for them cost 4-5 times what they cost on a regular bike.

It's been almost 20 years since I sold my last one (the K bike) so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

If you are looking for something to scratch the itch and plan to use it mostly locally, a few people around here have bought some of the new little Hondas. I've seen a new 125 Trail, a Super Cub and just recently a neighbor got an XR150. These are around town bikes that cost less than $5K out the door.

I've thought about buying one, but I don't want to be the bear on a bike. They do look like fun though...

Posts: 268 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:

What's everyone's thoughts on BMW bikes?
I no longer ride, but I have had many BMW's, starting with my 1960 R-50 (stock photo below).

The absolute best resource that I have found for all things associated with BMW motorcycles is an old-time guy named Tom High. He operates Rennsport Motorrad, where he services BMW's, from the old classics to the modern bikes, operating from a large shop in the industrial park that surrounds the Deland, FL airport on US Rte 92, between Deland and Daytona.

He has quite a few restored bikes for sale, as well, and usually has some on consignment.

If you're considering a BMW motorcycle and want a bit of an education from a guy who knows them inside and out, it's well worth your time to visit him.

In addition to servicing, he races the classic old bikes. (You know he's A Good Guy -- he shoots black powder.)

My first BMW, bought new in 1960, I got change from $1,000:

Very nice V-Tail,

I always wanted a vintage BMW bike. I will look him up.

On the smaller, 125-150 bikes, I appreciate the suggestion but no way I'd be happy with them outside of putting around the neighborhood. My first was an XL70 and I loved that bike as a kid. It started it all. I'm coming from racing RM/YZ/CR 250s and trail/motocross riding a CR500 from my early days. I'd get another dirt bike before those but I'd have to haul it to a riding spot. I need some balls when I hit it but still want some old guy comfort (also if I have a passenger). I have no interest in a sport bike either but could be convinced of something in between like a V-Max if I can find a minty later model Star version. Had a V65 Magna back in the early 90s and loved that bike. It hauled and was comfy.

Thanks again for the excellent advice everyone.

posted Hide Post
My last BMW (F850GS) was ridden 3 years. Never a problem. Great bike all around. I only walked away because there are no dealerships in the Yoop. They cost more in regard to service / parts but my new Harley is equally expensive.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16118 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The R-18 is an interesting bike, it is lower in seat height and balanced well making it easier to get on and hold up over most of the Taller FL bagger HD/Indian bikes.

It's similar to a HD Heritage model as far as ergonomics, weight, size, seat height.

You should plan a day trip to Daytona for Biketoberfest, BMW is usually there with demo rides and the R-18 is well represented and several different iterations are available for review. I would check to be sure they are going to be there at Bikeoberfest, I know they are there at BikeWeek, and, you can ride some of the other brand motorcycles as well..

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've come close on a couple BMWs over the years.
Just missed out on VTail's K75s, which I think was bought by another forum member. Tried to pick up his R65 too, just never got the timing right on it.

Have pined over a few on the showroom floor, but they're definitely out of my current budget, outside of the lower end models like the G310 & thumper F-series.

The R___RS models have always kept my eye

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The R18 is a great bike from what I've read and from the couple of R18 riders I've spoke too. There are great deals on the R18 because it is a slow seller so BMW frequently offers big discounts or favorable interest rates. I don't like the huge cylinder heads and my riding style is a bit more aggressive than what I could do on an R18 so its not the bike for me. With that said I've owned nine BMW bikes since 2000 and have been very happy with all of the except one. I currently own a 2020 R1250GSA and absolutely love it because its the best all around, do everything well bike I've owned and its also the best selling adventure bike worldwide because it does everything well. While the GS/GSA is classified by BMW as an adventure bike the majority of riders use them as sport touring machines. I'm a big fan of BMW bikes and wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone looking for a motorcycle.

BMW is also very generous with test rides so visit your local dealership and take an R18 out for a spin and see how you like it. Another option you might consider is one of the R9T bikes, light weight, plenty of torque, enough HP to be fun.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ At least in the showroom, the R9T is the least comfortable bike I've ever sat on.
The seat digs into my thighs & was really not comfortable.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

BMW is also very generous with test rides so visit your local dealership and take an R18 out for a spin and see how you like it.....

This is true I imagine most BMW dealers have an R18 of some sort to demo. Now's also a good time to pick up one of the last of the 2023 R1250GS's with BMW offering $1,000 cash back *and* 2.9% financing, in addition to what discount the dealer offers.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

BMW is also very generous with test rides so visit your local dealership and take an R18 out for a spin and see how you like it.....

This is true I imagine most BMW dealers have an R18 of some sort to demo. Now's also a good time to pick up one of the last of the 2023 R1250GS's with BMW offering $1,000 cash back *and* 2.9% financing, in addition to what discount the dealer offers.

Last I checked, our local dealer had 3 or 4 [R18] in stock, in various trim levels.
Also, I believe the R1300 in inbound, so the 1250s may get some incentive to move?

posted Hide Post
Another suggestion is the Triumph classic line.

The pic looks very similar to the Triumph Bonneville

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yes Triumph classics and Moto Guzzi's V7 line. I particularly like the V7 Stone SE in gloss black as well as the V7 Special in blue.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Bonneville & Guzzi both seem more of a standard style, more akin to the R9T, not the bigger cruiser style R18 that the OP is looking at.

If I were looking at a new bike, the Speed Twin would be getting a serious look.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Another suggestion is the Triumph classic line.

The pic looks very similar to the Triumph Bonneville

Second this, have always liked the classic roadsters since the days of the Norton Commando. Have a Triumph dealership relatively close that I haunt occasionally.

The modern Triumphs are not known to be self propelled oil leaks with built in electrical gremlins anymore

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post