SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever been stung by a velvet ant?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever been stung by a velvet ant? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I was cutting the grass last night in shorts and something stung me on my ankle something fierce. I looked down and checked my socks and shoe and didn't see anything. I got stung on my thumb last year by a paper wasp and this was right up there, maybe worse considing the nerves in the thumb compared to the number in the ankle.

My Googlefu comes up with velvet ant as likely culprit. Pain lasted a solid 10mins, no itch today yet but I took some Zyrtec last night.

Posts: 2606 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that variety of wasp. IME, when growing up in the Upper Midwest stings while mowing were ground wasps, and the mower went over their entrance which angered them.

We have very aggressive red paper wasps here. They are hard working and always trying to build nests on eaves, in bushes, etc. I'm normally a live and let live with pollinators, but they're mean so I give them no quarter. Couple years ago, I went through 1.5 cans of wasp spray trying to do the fall trimming of the hedges.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23691 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Scuba goes after the paper wasp nests with a mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle, the soapy water covers them and they die in seconds because they can't breath. The initial spray usually knocks them down. I was doing that last year and one flanked me and got my thumb on the hand that was spraying with. Felt like a hammer to my thumb.

Posts: 2606 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Hurt something fierce, didn't see 'anything'...Must've been a velvet ant! Are these known to be on your property? Unless you're leaving out some critical info, kind of a jump there don't you think? Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9442 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...I saw no paper wasps or anything else flying and from what the interwebs say, bites originating from cutting the grass around your ankles are usually velvet ants. The females sting and have no wings. Only thing I'm reading up that high up on the pain index is velvet ant. I had never heard of them before but evidently Iowa has them.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Here in South Texas it is always fire ants. How such a small creature can hurt so much I will never know. I think anything in comparison is just an annoyance. But, it has been decades since I have been stung bu flying insects.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
We have Velvet Ants at the gun club my wife and I are members at, lots of them.

We would see them all the time and were told they were nicknamed cow killers because of how painful their sting is.

Because of this, when we saw them we went as far away from them as possible.

Up until a few years ago I was on the grounds crew at the club. Luckily having worked around the the property as much as I did I was never stung by one.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I see some every year and steer clear. Very hard to squish, I'm told they squeak if you try.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not seen any velvet ants but we have plenty of Fire Ants, little suckers are very aggressive, step on a mound and you will be immediately attacked, and end up with multiple painful bites, sometimes resulting in pain and itching for days.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy named Velvet Jones. Does that count?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I see some every year and steer clear. Very hard to squish, I'm told they squeak if you try.

They totally are! It's like trying to squish Superman. They just KEEP getting back up.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My youngest daughter stepped on one while barefoot when she was younger. She saw it walking away. It was about an inch long. (Florida Panhandle)

Lit her up. She's pretty tough, but she was in some pain for about half an hour.

She used ice and took Benadryl.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I see one on a rare occasion here. Definitely uncommon, I've maybe seen a dozen in 30 years.
Cow killer ants is what we knew them as.
They're definitely tough buggers

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I haven't been personally stung, however, I had a cousin that got nailed by one when we were kids. We were messing around with it and got him. His reaction told me all I needed to know about bad the sting was.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've got them by the ton here in central Florida. If it's dry out, you will see them where grass is sparse.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12937 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stepped on one several years ago when we lived a few miles South of San Antonio.

It hurt more than a yellow jacket or red wasp sting.

Posts: 1139 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
They call them Cow Killers here they are a ground wasp. Very painful and the sting will blister

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post