SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do new high efficiency washing machines clean decent?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do new high efficiency washing machines clean decent? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We are currently in the market for a washer and dryer. Wife wants a front loader or a top loader without agitator. I’m leaning toward the front loader. The no agitator Samsung we had for a brief period, did nothing but tangle and knot the clothes.

Speed Queen sounds good, but I can’t afford to drop $3500 on a washer and dryer.
Maytag seems to have pretty high reviews here. Costco has them available and I would be in and out for $1600. We had these when we lived in Washington. Loved them.

She is adamant that she will not have an LG or Samsung. Odd, as she is Korean. She feels American made is better, especially when it comes to washing machines.

Now I just have to wait for her to decide.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put $4.00 in a plastic jar Everytime we do a load of laundry,
$4.00 for a wash and dry
$2.00 for just a wash.

Usually between 50-60 per month,
If you shop wisely, and are not washing bowing balls or ring and pinion gears,
You should be good to go when it's time for a new W/D.

( It's worked for us anyway)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The Speed Queen’s aren’t $3500 around here. $2000 for the set.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
I'll never again willingly own a front-loader. It was an HE machine that offered mediocre cleaning and extra work to keep the aforementioned mildew issues from occurring. Wasn't even slightly impressed with the spin cycle removing all the water from any but the smallest loads; don't even hope it will handle bulky items. The only thing it truly excelled at was tying clothes in knots.

Older sis has a top-loader HE machine. I don't know if it has an agitator or not. We talked about hers once. She disliked it and wouldn't buy another but I don't recall her reasons.

FWIW,

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
The Speed Queen’s aren’t $3500 around here. $2000 for the set.

Yep. I bought a Speed Queen TC5/DC5 set ~7 months ago... $972 apiece. Just over $2,000 after tax.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
I got new whirlpool washer/dryer from Costco recently. The washer is really good at putting micro wrinkles in all of my clothes. It’s almost as if the machine was designed to put in as many wrinkles as possible in clothing that don’t iron out well. Never had this problem with any of my previous washers. It’s weird.

They spin at a higher speed to help get more of the water out before going to the dryer. My old washer you could turn this off if you wanted.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
I got new whirlpool washer/dryer from Costco recently. The washer is really good at putting micro wrinkles in all of my clothes. It’s almost as if the machine was designed to put in as many wrinkles as possible in clothing that don’t iron out well. Never had this problem with any of my previous washers. It’s weird.

About 10-11 years ago now I bought a brand new set of HE. Bravos or Cabrio...something like that. For the money (around $3K) I figured they'd be the best thing since sliced bread.

The washer had a glass top so that I could watch. I put the clothes in and it only added about a quart of water. Then, rather than agitate, it just rolled the clothes around each other for about 45 minutes. This succeeded in doing two things: Tying everything into knots and/or wrinkling everything so bad that even the steam dryer wouldn't get the wrinkles out. I wasn't about to iron every piece of clothing that I washed so I returned them.

Never again.

Now it's analog SQ and I'm perfectly happy with the set. Bought them five or six years ago for around $800 each.

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I’m kind of surprised that so many folks are having a hard time with their HE washer/dryers.
We’ve had a set of Whirlpool HEs for about 10 years now.
(I don’t think they were even the highest $$ option)

We keep a small towel nearby to wipe out the gasket of the washing machine and that eliminates the problems with left over water there.

My wife washes everything from her delicates to rugs in it. I wash/dry everything of mine, pants, sweats, golf shirts, t-shirts and Duluth undies without problems. The whites -> rags, socks, white towels get bleach and a hot dry and ALWAYS come out clean.
I always use the extra rinse option.
(Pre-treat stains with OxyClean MaxForce! That shit works)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Maytag top load “commercial” washer at Lowes. It has an agitator and uses a lot of water. It works a lot faster and does a lot better job of getting my clothes clean than any of the five magic high efficiency front load washers we’ve had over the past 20 years. And my long sleeved shirts don’t come out all tangled and twisted up.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I recently bought a Maytag top load “commercial” washer at Lowes. It has an agitator and uses a lot of water. It works a lot faster and does a lot better job of getting my clothes clean than any of the five magic high efficiency front load washers we’ve had over the past 20 years. And my long sleeved shirts don’t come out all tangled and twisted up.

Is it this one? I love mine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s it. Good machines.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have a Maytag front loader set that has got be 8-9 years old now. It does a great job, always has. I spend a considerable amount of time wrenching on the tractor and it's implements and I also do all the oil changes on the vehicles so greasy clothes are not exactly a rare thing here on the farm.

41 years ago, shortly after we got married, she was watching me load up the washer. She looked at me and said...tell you what, if you let me do all the washing from here on out I promise I will never try to change the oil in your truck. We laughed and I said, you got a deal. I will have to ask her about that second rinse thing. Seems a lot of folks recommend that.

She does use a spray pre-wash on some things for really serious stains. She has Shout and Oxy-Clean. I just looked. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all who chimed in about the SQ prices. I will start to shop around for those and see what I can find that is affordable. Might have to make the trip to Phoenix.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E-mail sent to beancooker

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post