SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Child car seat installation course
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Child car seat installation course Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I've known a few people that had this training, and the opportunity to take it has popped up.

I think what intrigues me about it is the class is FOUR DAYS LONG.

I can't begin to fathom how it can take 4 days to learn how to properly install child safety seats.

Anyone here done this? Honestly I've got too much going on that I can't even keep up with to take it, but the whole 4 days thing absolutely baffles me.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Maybe if the goal of the course is to teach one how to correctly install every car seat under the sun in every vehicle under the sun. (And this might make sense for someone whose job it is to help new parents figure out their gear.) Otherwise, that is insane.

If there is latch available in the car, use the latch, otherwise thread the seatbelt as shown in the instructions (and likely on the seat). If you are a belt and suspenders type of person and the seat/car configuration allows for it, you can do both. Figure out where best to anchor the tether. In general, attach everything before tightening anything. Kneeling in the seat with your back against the roof can allow you to thoroughly compress the seat cushions and tighten the living crud out of the seat attachments. Most importantly, RTFM (Read The Fine Manual).

It really isn't rocket science. I can't imagine more than a half hour of one on one instruction to dial one person in on a seat. I can't imagine why there would be a four day class.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, but it might be 4 days to become a certified instructor for car seats.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are becoming a dumb/lazy nation. I know of a few people that took the class,work related and said it could be done in a couple hours. It is amazing to me at how many people in this country cannot read directions that come with a product and do it themselves. I have installed many seats when my kids were growing up and never had a problem. Now my tin foil hat time, it is another way of the government saying we will provide for your needs so you don't have to do anything.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Four DAYS? Wow - sounds considerably excessive.

That said, I'm glad there's no video record of when my wife and I attempted to put a car seat for our grandchild into first her vehicle then mine. Yikes. Comedy o' Errors! Little did we realize that cars now come with pre-installed hooks specifically for car seat installation.

In our defense, it had been about 20 years since we'd had to personally deal with a car seat haha. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The national CPS (Child Passenger Safety) car seat installation tech course is 3 to 4 days long:

http://cert.safekids.org/certification-course

I can't imagine any end user course being more than an hour long. Talk about overkill!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Fire Dept. quit installing car seats because of all the update classes required. It began to become too much of a liability if you didnt have the update class because XYZ car seat has a new buckle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I thought the instructions would be printed on the box.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like .gov is behind this.

It literally takes me 5 minutes to put the grand-childrens' car seat in SWMBO rear seat.

Four days? Only if under contract to the DOT.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Uhhh, say what?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post