SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    eBay possible scam question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

eBay possible scam question Login/Join 
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted
I know there is a large contingent of the membership here that won’t use it but I have had nothing but positive experiences as a buyer.

But, I am in the market for a new fish finder for my boat so I have been looking. I have run across several “buy it now” that are hundreds of dollars less than the others listed. Sometimes they have multiple items available but in each case the seller has a feedback of 1 or two. Since eBay and PP are very pro buyer and the purchase is direct through them I see little risk but the whole situation seems fishy. Is there some scam being ran through these that I am not aware of? I have been holding off but if I can safe a few hundred bucks I would sure like to do so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Garret Blaine,

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would be hesitant of a seller with little feedback especially one that is selling expensive and multiple items.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with buying from Ebay, just don't be careless in evaluating the deal, the seller and the product.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the "Protections" I won't enter into a questionable deal.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A couple of times, I have seen an item on eBay that was offered at significantly below the real market value.

Both times, I have offered to meet in person and pay cash for the item, subject to inspection on the spot.

Both times, the seller has come up with elaborate, inventive, explanations for why he could not do this.

Holy SCAM, Batman!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
It may be a counterfeit.
Where does the item ship from ?

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Been buying and selling on eBay for 20 years.

Some simple guidelines:

1. Never buy easily counterfeitable items (designer clothing, luxury accessories, etc)

2. Avoid sellers with less than 15-20 transactions (as a seller).

3. Never buy from east Asia. Look out for dropshippers from LA/NYC as well, that may be selling Chinese crap.

eBay is fantastic for finding lightly used or new items that are difficult to locate otherwise (reloading presses, discontinued gear, etc)

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Your title is too vague. Please be more specific.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Probably not in the class of device you are looking at but if a Humminbird 561 DI would work for you I have one that I never installed that I could send you.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
It may be a counterfeit.
Where does the item ship from ?

Virginia.

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

3. Never buy from east Asia.

I'll make an exception to this rule: South Korea, especially when it comes to cosmetics.

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Probably not in the class of device you are looking at but if a Humminbird 561 DI would work for you I have one that I never installed that I could send you.

I am looking at pretty low cost (comparitvely speaking) units, which make the price disparity of some of these eBay listings even more suspicious.

I very much appreciate the offer and would be interested. How much?

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Garret Blaine:
quote:

I am looking at pretty low cost (comparitvely speaking) units, which make the price disparity of some of these eBay listings even more suspicious.

If it will meet your needs just send a mailing address to the e-mail in my profile.
Call it instant karma.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Garret Blaine:
quote:

If it will meet your needs just send a mailing address to the e-mail in my profile.
Call it instant karma.

What an increadable offer! Thank your very much. I will be sure to pay it forward and send an email.

posted Hide Post
Those listings scream scam. It’s true eBay, PayPal, and your credit card will make you whole but is it worth the aggravation?

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I buy a few things on ebay but I am always looking at the feedback of the seller. I have passed on several good buys because they were new.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
SpinZone, that was an incredibly generous move!

On eBay: It can't be said enough. Buy the seller, not the product.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It's most likely a cheap knock off. Regardless of where the seller claims to be, it's probably China.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
it may be a scam,

it may be the seller was given it as a gift, or inherited it, and does not need it,

and is simply new to Ebay,

or it could be a new 'burner' account for some fools that do ORC,

Organized Retail Crime, groups of people that troll an area (often large) and steal from retailers,

go in a store,(Cabelas, Bass Pro, Boat shop etc) and load up a cart, and slip thru the front door when know one is looking,

happens more than you know, esp in easy to flip commodities, including groceries

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Feed back of one or two is a no go for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4837 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post