SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reoccurring unpleasant dreams, thoughts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reoccurring unpleasant dreams, thoughts Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’ve been being plagued lately by very unnerving thoughts... sometimes in dreams, but most of the time it’s in the middle of the night when I wake momentarily to roll over, etc. The thought of my mom calling in the middle of the night to tell me my dad has passed is what I keep having on my mind when I’m sorta in that “twilight” stage of sleep. It’s really kinda stressing me out as it’s happened several times over the past few months I’d guess. Dad isn’t I the best health, he’s on oxygen from years of smoking, has CHF and is in his 80’s. I suppose it’s my subconscious thinking about this actually happening... but I’d just rather it stop! Guess I’m just venting... any suggestions?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Dryfly

Can't believe it's been almost 14 years since I lost my mother. My dad is also in his early 80's and on oxygen with COPD and CHF. Spend as much time with him as you can. I've tried to ask mine about his childhood, what's jobs he's had, cars he's had(he's a car guy).....anything I could think of. Make the most of the time we have left.

Posts: 482 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Your subconscious is calculating the increasing probability of your father's passing and helping you to resolve the inevitable.

Roll with it. Remember the best days with your dad. Spend time with him. Talk out any un-resolved issues.

===================
caveat: This is just my gut talking. I have no pedigree in psychology.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It shows you care.

Posts: 28687 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry I don’t have any suggestions, but I agree with the others, your subconscious is trying to settle the inevitable so that you can deal with it when the time actually comes.
After my sibling passed (when I was young) I had nightmare after nightmare of each one of my family members dying- that went on for months.

As another poster mentioned, spend as much time as you can- learn history, make notes, and know that he lived a good long life. Death is part of living, and he will always be part of you- both literally and figuratively.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank y’all for the insight, makes sense. It’s frustrating when your folks are becoming elderly.

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
dry fly:
I went thru a similar period with my own parents inevitable passing.

Good advise above, share the moments you have.

One of my best-memories-ever of my own Dad, was his unexpected joy as I fed him individual sections of grapefruit in his final hours.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good, thank y’all!

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You probably have a low level of magnesium. Magnesium L-Threonate is the best form to use since it is easily absorbed. You probably showing a mid form of PTSD.

New Findings for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

While Alzheimer’s is the most urgent demonstration of restoration of brain plasticity by magnesium-L-threonate, it is far from the only potential application for this supplement.

Researchers also found that magnesium-L-threonate has beneficial effects for those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). 6

Sometimes when our brains form connections, they aren’t good ones. For example, certain objects or events linked with a previous danger triggers fear memories. In healthy people, these fear memories fade in time as the object triggering them is experienced in a safe environment. (Perhaps this is the likely scientific explanation for the phrase “time heals all wounds.”)

For example, if you experienced a house fire, hearing fire engines could reproduce the feelings of fear experienced from the fire itself. In time, that feeling will fade when the triggering event is experienced in a safe environment.

Unfortunately, in people who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, that fear response does not fade with time. This is likely due to the fact that post-traumatic stress disorder induces a sharp reduction in brain plasticity.21-24

Exciting research has demonstrated that magnesium-L-threonate can help speed up this recovery process in people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientists studied magnesium-L-threonate in rats with conditioned fear responses (the animal equivalent of post-traumatic stress disorder). Amazingly, the magnesium-L-threonate treatment helped the fear memory fade with time, without impacting the original memory.6,25

Research shows that magnesium-L-threonate enhances brain plasticity in specific regions of the brain most affected by traumatic events. 6 Because of these dramatic results, scientists are suggesting that magnesium could be a novel supplement for those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, or depression.6,25

What Is Magnesium?

Magnesium, the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, is known to be a co-factor for more than 300 reactions catalyzed by enzymes, including those essential for energy release from food and conversion to cellular work through formation of adenosine triphosphate, or ATP, in mitochondria. Magnesium is also required for the synthesis of DNA and RNA.27

Magnesium is especially important in all of our bodies’ electrical and electrochemical activities, including muscle contractions, heart rhythm, nerve conduction, and brain cell activity.27

The most common disturbance of magnesium in our bodies is hypomagnesemia, or low blood magnesium levels, which is widely recognized as a cause of seizures, hypertension, stroke, migraine headaches, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance and type II diabetes.27

In addition to all of these known functions, magnesium has been found to be the controlling and essential factor in regulating synaptic plasticity in the brain, which is the physical process that underlies what we perceive as learning and memory.1

https://www.lifeextension.com/...-brain-aging/page-01

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this too at the beginning of last week after my SIL passed away.
Talking is best. Get out what you're feeling to a friend or family member.
My daughter had 100 questions after last weekend and we sat down together and talked.
This was her first really close loss of a family member she could comprehend. She was 6 when my Mom passed and couldn't quite grasp the finality.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freud talked of Dreams being the royal road to the Unconscious. He was not incorrect. The dream concerns anxiety about your own mortality as well as that of your father. The fact that it is recurring is significant. Only you can decide as to how to best deal with the anxiety.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good info guys, it’s much appreciated. @ 41, I may have a touch of ptsd already from the decade of being a paramedic.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
It shows you care.

This is literally true. May God be with you during this difficult time and be a comfort to you and your family.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Also maybe get checked for Apnea. Funky twilight dreams can occur with Apnea.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apnea

What SmithNSig said

Apnea was my issues with wild horrible dreams.
Its a easy test to take - overnight kit from your Doctor or even Dentist. Saved my bacon.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
another famous Psychiatrist, Frederick "Fritz" Perls, said "A dream is a letter to yourself".

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Great thoughts and responses folks.. I’ve read them all and thank you again. I do have sleep apnea btw, but use a cpap.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I use to have odd weird unpleasant dreams, and cut out all chocolate, ice cream and sweets after 8 o'clock. I kid you not all that went away. I had a piece of chocolate cake at a friends house the other night and had a terrible dream. weird I know.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
dry-fly, anything that bothers you enough during your conscious waking hours is likely to follow you into your dreams/night mares as well...been there, done that.

In fact, as a side note, as a kid I had two reoccurring scary dreams...both of them in animation...as I was my real life action self but everything else in the dream was animated.

I've had some long term serious health issues and the doctors put me on various meds. At one point I started having disturbing twisted, sometimes violent dreams. I have no way of knowing for certain, but I believe that either a certain prescribed med, or perhaps a combination of meds, may have been causing or contributing to my nightmares.

Also, I've been told by some who take certain herbal supplements that they have bizarre or unusual dreams...any chance you have gone on some new meds or supplements recently?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^this. I have been on Bactrim (an antibiotic) for the past week and every night I have some weird, vivid dream. In last night’s, I wired up a light fixture in my parents’ (who have been dead for years) house and when I turned the switch on the wires began to glow red hot. I realized then that it was a 12v fixture being supplied with 120v current, and that I’d better get some clothes on before my mom’s bridge group arrived.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post