SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Now I know why those roof top solar panels are so o oo o expensive.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now I know why those roof top solar panels are so o oo o expensive. Login/Join 
posted
The next door neighbors are having solar panels put on their house.

After five hours , I've come to the conclusion that the three guys up on the roof , they are on a mission.

but the five guys on the ground that have been chatting it up , discussing and cracking wise , for four hours straight , they are the master minds.

Nary a one has lifted so much as a pencil , just yakking away and then looking at the roof, jaw jacking like their lives depended on it, then look at the roof.

would have been a good time to point a c.c.t.v. cam their way.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You know you could have saved a bundle just by visiting one of their "job" sites before buying.

During the early Obsma years (a time reference, not really a political statement) they wanted shovel ready work and could only find "make work" things. Solar panels may or may not make sense financially. Some of it is feel good PC crap.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solar panels make great sense if you ho with a full system, storing power in batteries and running off of them.

My mom's house runs off solar, only thing on the grid is the well pump, a few outside outlets (RV hookup) and AC, when she uses it. She's got another well pump for when the power goes out.

Total cost was i think about 30k. The batteries are the most expensive part but she'll make her money back before they need to be replaced.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You know you could have saved a bundle just by visiting one of their "job" sites before buying.
Bendable specifically mentioned in his first sentence that it was his neighbor getting the solar panels installed, so you know.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A good ground man is hard to find. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The neighbor that was getting the work done, came out to mow the yard and the five " spokes people" magically found somewhere to go.

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Must have been a Union job with public funding.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5753 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
... Total cost was i think about 30k. ...

$30k? Looking at my electric bill last year, that would take me 12 years to recover a $30k investment. That's with running A/C in the summer as I work from home, PLUS running a six-person hot tub all year and keeping the temp at 100+. (The tub is now gone.)

So my electric bill was high.

Then add the cost to keep the electricity available to my house as needed and run the A/C as the solar most likely could not run that here in Connecticut.

If it did cost $30k, I do not think it would be a good investment at all for us.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Haven't priced it for awhile but solar didn't have a reasonable break even point for me.

The only reason I'd consider solar is to hedge against repeated, anticipated rolling black outs for extended periods of time. We'll see how these fire safety black outs continue - our zone hasn't been affected yet. I'd probably get a generator first.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't have enough roof area in the right direction for it, even if it did make economical sense.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see them being used in the Yoop. I cant see how they can work when covered in 18 inches or more of snow.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wonder, how much of the cost of solar energy is subsidized by taxpayers? What would the cost/benefit analysis look like without the subsidy?

And does solar really improve the environment? One of Solyndra's manufacturing facilities in the Bay Area, CA, after the bankruptcy (paid for by the US taxpayer), was determined to be a toxic waste site.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
A friend did solar in his new house but it was designed around the panels with the correct orientation. Still on the grid, no batteries. My bill in a state with the highest electric costs in the nation or close to it is 97 a month.

With the average life span of the cells, there is no way for me to break even. In NH how much is even generated in the winter months?

Maybe if they actually started building them here but I'm not going to feed the Chinese if I don't have to.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In San Diego with lots of sun and sky-high electric rates, my system will pay for itself in 4 years, including the 30% credit from you, my friends. Thanks!

Electric bill for the first year of service about $350, a typical one-month bill here.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder, how much of the cost of solar energy is subsidized by taxpayers? What would the cost/benefit analysis look like without the subsidy?

Federal subsidies for wind and solar projects and technology development totaled about $75 billion over the past decade, according to EWG’s analysis of data from the Treasury Department, Congress’ Joint Committee on Taxation and the Congressional Research Service.

China’s Trina Solar estimated about 20% of current U.S. demand for solar panels is being fueled by tax considerations.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Solar is pretty much for suckers. That is anywhere that actually has winter. I live in Wis. There were 3 homes in the area with solar over the years. All 3 have removed it.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It works out economically here in so cal. Even more so if you have an electric vehicle.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, there are some bored ass people around these parts.

Kinda makes me wonder about fractle geometry

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A ladder and a long handled broom?

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I see them being used in the Yoop. I cant see how they can work when covered in 18 inches or more of snow.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Man, there are some bored ass people around these parts.

Kinda makes me wonder about fractle geometry

Here you go, bendable. I didn't have anything else better to do. Big Grin

http://www.fractal.org/Bewustz...ls-Useful-Beauty.htm

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post