SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I get your guys thoughts on an Apple watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I get your guys thoughts on an Apple watch? Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted
I have never wanted an Apple watch as I wear real watches because I'm a dinosaur. However, early this morning I was having episodes of irregular heartbeats. I pushed the notification button for my implanted heart monitor 4 times in about 45 minutes. Then I got up and tried to catch an episode on my Kardia Mobile device. I have a call in to my cardiac EP's office to get them to look at my "tape" during the bookmarked time. They have not called me back yet.
My daughter suggested I get an Apple watch as they monitor heart rate, EKG and a bunch of other stuff and will call you if you are having an issue. I know an older friend of mine has had one for years and it called him when he went overboard once down in Palm Beach.
I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get one of the darn things.
Thoughts please.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only one complaint about Apple Watches. Mine is somewhat older so I am pretty sure the new ones are better. The battery life is not long. I find you need to charge it basically every day if you are wearing it constantly. The good news is that it charges pretty fast and easy with the magnetized charger but you might have to plan the charging if you want to wear it at night.

That isn't a huge deal. I know nothing about the heart rate stuff so I can't answer that. I will say that you might consider the Apple Watch version that basically is its own phone. The older ones and some of the newer versions need your phone for connectivity. Ie, you want to make a call you can do it as long as the phone itself is somewhere nearby. The newest watches actually are their own device, you will pay for an additional line I believe, but it acts as a cell phone. You can phone and text and whatnot regardless of your actual phones location. That is pretty handy. Kind of like your own personal Life Alert button.

If you are willing to learn how they operate and give it a fair shake I suspect it will perform what you need it to and be fairly convenient to have at the same time. If money was no object I would own that version. I am cheap and lazy though.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The newest Apple watches are great at monitoring the heart as well as having a fall detection device. They can call 911 if needed. A good friend of mine just got one for his father who is in his 90s for because he has fallen a few time. I think given your circumstances it would be a good purchase. Not that you need to wear 2 watches, you could wear the Apple Watch on the opposite wrist that you wear your normal watch.

Posts: 2977 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I wear one, Series 8 and bought a Series 6 off Woot for my dad, he was having heart issues, it has been instrumental in helping him keep up with the heart rate, and even detected A-Fib for him.

All this helped him as he could see his constant degrading of his heart rate and increase of A-Fib which the watch alerted him to these and tracked it.

This helped him make the decision to call 911, they detected a 90% blockage that was fixed with a stint. Without it I think he would have sat there and stuck it out and ended up with a massive heart attack.

Woot has the Series 8 on sale, both non cellular and cellular. If you are in any way concerned with falling, or having contact issues get the cellular, for $10 a month you can call from your watch or the fall detection will do it for you even if the phones not around

https://electronics.woot.com/o...hed?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_2

BTW stuff on Woot like this flys off the virtual shelf, so don't dally if you want it, time is money...

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I both have one and I would certainly recommend them.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have worn one since the series 2. I love all of the features primarily aimed at health. Highly recommend.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I bought a series 9 45mm recently. Came from a series 3. Battery life is much better on the 9, and it charges really fast. I typically wear it all day and all night. I'll put it on the charger when I get in the shower in the morning, and by the time I've showered and dressed it's usually fully charged again.

I don't use the heart function, but I've played around with it.

If you already have an iphone then it's a no-brainer.

Posts: 3018 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They're great for the reasons your daughter mentioned.
I started out years ago with a Fitbit and am on my second Apple now.
My Rolex has been in a safe for years now.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I have a Series 7. My battery lasts over 24 hours and recharges very quickly (well under an hour). I don't wear it when I sleep so I just let it recharge and it's ready in the morning.

I've only worn a mechanical watch a couple times since buying the Apple Watch and don't see myself ever going back to one.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4206 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I like my series 3. Does pulse but nothing else. Since you already have the implanted device and cardia mobile what are you going to do with the data you get from the watch?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I like my series 3. Does pulse but nothing else.
I like my 2020 SE, too. It also does fall detection, which was one reason I upgraded from a Series 1, Gen. 2. (That and the larger display.)
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Since you already have the implanted device and cardia mobile what are you going to do with the data you get from the watch?
That's what I was wondering. Seems kind of like carrying coal to Newcastle?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You can pull up the app on it and take an ECG reading. As I understand it this is like a single lead EKG but I am not a doctor. When I use it it tells me it is a normal sinus rhythm or sometimes it doesn't get a reading. If I try it when exercising or anytime I have an increased HR it will not take a reading. Say HR is too high.

It will monitor your heart rate and if you have a heart problem that raises your heart rate it can alert you. It does not monitor or detect everything with your heart.

I think it can be a good thing to wear but understand its limits. It will also monitor your PO2 and you can take a reading of anything.

Fall detection can be good and it will ask you if you want it to call for help if you fall.

Do expect to charge it every day but they charge quickly.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Apple Watch - Ultra 2. Great battery life - 2 days. I have acquired quite a few watches. I only wear the Apple Watch. It just has too many useful features.

I only use a fraction of its capabilities. The fall alert feature is quite valuable -- thankfully, I've not had any falls that required the 911 call. It lets you know if it has detected an impact and gives you the change to decide how it responds. Also will call 911 in a serious car accident.

Agree that it is a "no-brainer" if you have an iPhone.

I added it to my cellular plan so I can text, do phone calls, etc. without the iPhone.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wear an automatic watch on my left wrist and an apple watch that I was gifted on my right wrist. I wear the automatic watch because I like the jewelry.

I find the apple watch useful as it shows what's next on my calendar, the weather conditions, it's battery strength along with the time and date. I have my phone set to vibrate most of the time and my iphone tingles when i get a call, an email, etc.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19730 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get one of the darn things.
Thoughts please.

I definitely think it's a great idea.

I have been wearing an Apple Watch for a couple of years now. I use it for sleep tracking (although I know there are more accurate devices out there). I also use it for checking blood oxygen, ECG, heart rate, etc.

It's a pretty good activity and exercise tracker. It's also an effective "nag". For example, if you sit for too long, it will nudge you and suggest you get up and walk around. It irritates me when it does this, but invariably, I get up and stretch my legs.

While I haven't used the fall detection, I think it could be a life saver. Last summer, I took a pretty good spill on my bike and it triggered the fall sensor. It took me a minute to sit up before I could cancel it. By then, it had started the countdown to calling 911; if I had fallen any harder, I would have needed help.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6431 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My most recent watch is the 9 and one reason I got it is the much quicker charging time (USB-C version 20W charger).
I charge it when I take a shower and when I'm eating a meal and stationary otherwise. That allows me to wear it at night so I get any info while I'm sleeping too including and warnings for afib or other unusual activity (none yet).

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I look at Apple Watches as the "80's Casio Calculator Watch" equivalent 30-40 years later.

Sure, it's useful and functional, and technologically cool but...

For someone who needs heart monitoring thought, it's for your health.

Posts: 4734 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've got an Ultra 2 and the wife has a 9 SE. Both have 2+ days of battery. Charge the watch while you shower and you should never get low enough to worry about it dying. Certain functions can be turned off to save energy.

This is my first "smart" watch and I'm finding it more useful than I thought I would.

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I was slow to the party myself.

But when I wear it it is pretty amazing, I love to look down and have access to weather, my step count and time. I can see who texted or emailed me easily without having to get my phone out of my pocket.

But most of all it makes obtaining and assessing your daily fitness easy.

Get one.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I thought they were useless. Then I bought the Apple Watch Ultra.

Still think they are useless. I sold mine went back to a real watch.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post