SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son asked for help with Calculus
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son asked for help with Calculus Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
My 16yo son is taking MAC 2311 Calculus w/Analytical Geometry this summer because it’s a prerequisite for PHY 2048 General Physics I which he’s taking this fall.

He says to me, “Hey Dad, I need some help on a couple problems. I think I’m missing something stupid, can you take a look?” Sure enough, he’s evaluating an integral from s to 2s, so a=1 and b=2, which is what he was missing because the s threw him off. He had no trouble finding the anti-derivative and completing the problem.

So there you have it, I’ve been relegated to helping my son with stupid mistakes because that’s what I’m good at.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good on you trapper! Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9009 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My answer would have been “go ask your mother”
That woman is a mathematical wizard. I am not. Math and me have never gotten along.
Never made it to a calculus class ability myself.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Some time ago, I forgot how to subtract in columns, if the number on top is smaller than the number on the bottom. I know you carry something, somewhere, but after that, it gets kinda hazy.

So, my Cabulus is kinda weak. My aglebra is pretty good, long as there ain't no subtraction.

I'm more of a History guy...

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It wasn’t that long ago I helped him with his 2nd grade Presidents’ Day report. He had John Quincy Adams who was just like John Adams, only Quincier. I got a C in calculus over 35 years ago. I read each chapter this summer to get a basic understanding in case he needed help, but this is it. He’s going beyond my ability to help him with his homework.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a good thing... "the student has become the master". Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2074 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I took two years of calc in HS and a year in college. That was 20 years ago. I don't think I could remember any of it now. Algebra and geometry I'm still pretty good with since I use it from time to time when building stuff, but there's not a lot of cause for calculating integrals in my daily life.

Posts: 8677 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
WTF are you people talking about?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Some time ago, I forgot how to subtract in columns, if the number on top is smaller than the number on the bottom. I know you carry something, somewhere, but after that, it gets kinda hazy.

So, my Cabulus is kinda weak. My aglebra is pretty good, long as there ain't no subtraction.

I'm more of a History guy...

Subtraction isn’t bad- it’s just like addition, only in reverse.

I really enjoyed teaching my boys math when they were little, but one has a masters in computer science and one has a masters in chemical engineering, so they surpassed my math skills long ago. And I’m proud of them and don’t mind- except when the younger one tells me I suck at probability. Just because one time I said the probability of getting a heads out of two coin flips was 100%.

Posts: 3441 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Sorry I only use furinheight"

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I took two years of calc in HS and a year in college. That was 20 years ago. I don't think I could remember any of it now. Algebra and geometry I'm still pretty good with since I use it from time to time when building stuff, but there's not a lot of cause for calculating integrals in my daily life.

I was a math major (and physics) for three years. Then the draft hit. But I flunked the physical at the hearing booth. Many years later, when my kid asked me for calculus help I could not remember enough to differentiate my name. Kid is now a doctor. I'm retired

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6326 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Do math teaches still tell students that nobody will be walking around with calculators in your pockets all day?

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this point if I can't figure it out using my fingers and toes I'm out-

Posts: 346 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I can make chocolate milk! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Even though my cabulus is weak, my geometry is strong. I can recognize triangles, rectangles, squares, circles, all that shit. Hell, I even know about them weird things like the omnibus. Kind of a smashed square. I don't know what you call a smashed triangle but hey, I'm always learning.

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Even though my cabulus is weak, my geometry is strong. I can recognize triangles, rectangles, squares, circles, all that shit. Hell, I even know about them weird things like the omnibus. Kind of a smashed square. I don't know what you call a smashed triangle but hey, I'm always learning.

Ima little suspicious of that Islamic math, Al-Gebra

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8534 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you were able to help. My dad wasn't able to help me much with math classes past about middle school.

The lowest grade I got in high school was in Calculus, and it was also the grade I was most proud of. The teacher was awful. She'd do a terrible job of explaining stuff, and then get mad at any student who asked questions or tried to get further clarification because they didn't understand. When we realized early into the class that we weren't learning much of anything from her, several classmates and I organized a study group that met two evenings a week, and sometimes three if we had a test coming up. We basically spent the semester teaching ourselves calculus, and I clawed my way to a C in that class through sheer hard work.

It was good practice for my college calculus class a few years later. Although that teacher was great, it still required a decent amount of work with a study group outside of class for me to get a high grade, but I was already prepared for that.

Despite all the blood, sweat, and tears shed on those two calculus classes, I've never actually used calculus since. At least they weren't a total waste, since the process of struggling to pass calculus (twice) built character. Big Grin I do use algebra and geometry quite a bit, though.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are able to help him. I home schooled my daughter until 11th grade, I did not remember enough math to help her. So, I sent her to community college and she graduated high school with her associates degree.

All the math I recall is solving for x, anything else I actually need I'll do a web search.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graduated years ago with a mech engineering degree. I had no trouble with advanced math. In fact, I enjoyed it.

My granddaughter is about to receive a degree in actuarial science. The math she does (and tutors) may as well be written in Martian.

Posts: 778 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It’s a typo, change the “s” to “b”.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post