SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds Login/Join 
posted
If NBC is reporting this, then Democrats are in for a spanking.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...c-news-finds-n922881

The data suggests enthusiasm among early GOP voters that could put a dent in Democratic hopes for a "blue wave" in the midterms.

Oct. 22, 2018 / 2:43 PM EDT / Updated Oct. 23, 2018 / 4:05 AM EDT
By Adam Edelman

Is the "blue wave" turning purple?

Republican-affiliated voters have outpaced Democratic-affiliated voters in early voting in seven closely watched states, according to data provided by TargetSmart and independently analyzed by the NBC News Data Analytics Lab.

GOP-affiliated voters have surpassed Democratic-affiliated ones in early voting in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Montana, Tennessee and Texas, the data showed.

Only in Nevada have Democratic-affiliated voters exceeded Republican-affiliated voters so far in early voting, according to the data.

Key Senate races are underway in seven of those eight states and will prove pivotal in determining which party controls the chamber.

The latest data suggests robust enthusiasm among early Republican voters that could put a dent in Democratic hopes for a "blue wave" in next month's midterm elections.

Republicans typically dominate early voting by absentee ballots, while Democrats tend to have the advantage with in-person early voting. So, for example, the entire early voting picture in Florida, which has yet to begin in-person voting, is incomplete.

In Arizona — where two members of the House, Democrat Kyrsten Sinema and Republican Martha McSally, are in a neck-and-neck contest to fill retiring Republican Jeff Flake's Senate seat — 44 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared to 33 percent who had a Democratic affiliation. Twenty-three percent of early voters were not affiliated with either major party, and thus grouped as "other" in NBC News' partisan analysis.

In Florida — where Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson is running for re-election in a tight race against Republican Gov. Rick Scott — 44 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, versus 38 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 18 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

In Indiana — where Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly is facing a re-election challenge from Republican businessman Mike Braun — 51 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared with 39 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 10 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

In Montana — where Democratic Sen. Jon Tester is up for re-election in a state that President Donald Trump won by 21 points — 46 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared with 29 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 25 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

In Tennessee — where former Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen is in a close race with Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn to fill retiring Republican Bob Corker's Senate seat — 63 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared with 30 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 7 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

In Texas — where Republican Sen. Ted Cruz is attempting to hold off Democratic Rep. Beto O'Rourke — 53 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared with 43 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 4 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

On Monday, the first day of early voting in Texas, thousands of people were camped out at an early voting location in Houston hours before it opened, The Houston Chronicle reported.

And in Georgia — where civil rights groups have sued Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor, saying the method his office uses to verify new voter registrations is discriminatory — 52 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, versus 43 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 5 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

On the other hand, in Nevada — where Republican Sen. Dean Heller is up for re-election in a close race against Democratic Rep. Jacky Rosen — 45 percent of early voters had a Democratic affiliation, compared with 38 percent who had a Republican affiliation and 18 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

The data provided by TargetSmart and analyzed by NBC News also revealed additional patterns in early voting.

Women voters have outpaced men voters so far in Florida (55 percent to 45 percent), Georgia (54 percent to 46 percent), Indiana (53 percent to 46 percent), Montana (49 percent to 48 percent), Tennessee (52 percent to 48 percent) and Texas (59 percent to 41 percent), the data showed.

Male voters have outpaced women voters so far in Nevada (49 percent to 47 percent), the data shows. In Arizona, 48 percent of men and 48 percent of women have voted so far.

Suburban voters have outpaced rural and urban voters in Florida (43 percent suburban, 34 percent urban, 22 percent rural), Georgia (57 percent suburban, 31 percent rural, 12 percent urban), Indiana (45 percent suburban, 39 percent rural, 16 percent urban), and Tennessee (56 percent suburban, 33 percent rural, 11 percent urban).

Meanwhile, rural voters have outpaced suburban and urban voters in Montana, and urban voters have outpaced rural and suburban voters in Arizona and Texas.

As of Oct. 22, over 5 million votes have been cast early or absentee in the 2018 midterm elections nationwide.

Posts: 12713 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm watching things very close here in the silver state (NV) we have a lot of unaffiliated people who like to vote republican, so I'm hoping we come out on top.

posted Hide Post
Media is reporting bad news for democrats?

Desired result? Higher democrat turnout? Lower republican turnout?

Think this was planned?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Ignore the news & the polls and get your family members, your neighbors & your friends out voting.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I feel very positive that midterms will end in our favor.

But....

Id like to see any correlation between early voters and total voters. Im lazy as hell so i vote early as to avoid the masses. Maybe i missed it but wasnt dems winning early voters last year and they lost.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Mailed my ballot in today. I have a hard time believing Sinema can beat McSally. Not that this is scientific, but I do a ton of driving and just last weekend saw the first yard sign I ever saw for Sinema. She has taken a huge beating from local talk radio and the recent debate. Only new AZ residents are likely to believe her BS.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Media is reporting bad news for democrats?

Desired result? Higher democrat turnout? Lower republican turnout?

Think this was planned?

Absolutely.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Sigh) Polls. Or, exit polls. Are, actually, not even exit polls.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don’t trust polls, and after losing the presidency inflating polls in their favor, I could see the dems trying another tact to sway undecideds.

Regardless, I see them losing big in the midterms, and losing more BIGLY in 2020.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15610 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
#1) Typically, Republicans have higher numbers in early voting. So this isn't saying anything.

#2) It ain't over til it's over. 2016 should be more than enough evidence of that.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You should have heard the knuckleheads on NPR nuance this statistic away today. I pictured several of them around in a circle with straight jackets on rocking back and forth repeating in soliloquy how the polls don't really matter because X, Y, Z.........TRUMP!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29716 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't trust the polls, but if they claim that Republicans are doing will it might cause some to just not go vote, and that would be a serious mistake.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
It ain't over til it's over.

The Florida bomber really stirred up the Liberals.

At least that's the sense I have judging from a relative who is just a year or two out from his college liberalism indoctrination.

They have a new sense of hope that they can now take over the house and senate and then impeach President Trump.

Make no mistake about it, that white van has interfered with our elections more than the Russians ever did with lame Facebook ads.

It is critical that you ensure your conservative friends and family get out there and vote a straight Republican ticket.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
It ain't over til it's over.

The Florida bomber really stirred up the Liberals.

Make no mistake about it, that white van has interfered with our elections more than the Russians ever did with lame Facebook ads.

Oh come on.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30418 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Ignore the news about early voting or whatever. And how can anyone pay attention to polls at this point? It is very simple: make sure you vote. Urge all your Trump supporting friends to vote.

Don't be complacent.

Don't feel defeated.

Just vote!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You should have heard the knuckleheads on NPR nuance this statistic away today. I pictured several of them around in a circle with straight jackets on rocking back and forth repeating in soliloquy how the polls don't really matter because X, Y, Z.........TRUMP!

hahaha- good visual, darthfuster.
National Pravda Radio

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
#1) Typically, Republicans have higher numbers in early voting. So this isn't saying anything.

True. Guess how long it takes to rise from the grave and vote for Beto.

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds

We've got this one in the bag. No need to trouble ourselves with that pesky election day voting.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
... because the media would NEVER run a story that might influence voting or an election outcome

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37989 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure they let that info out in Ohio?

We early voted,actually on the first day, but have seen no indication of results?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post