SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yet another Craigslist score!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another Craigslist score! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Ad for two free 80 gallon air compressors. An Ingersoll-Rand and a Porter-Cable. Neither working, but I figured the worst that could happen is that I'd wind up with two good tanks.

Spent about $40 in gas to go grab them, then spent a couple of days cleaning and testing.

Long story short, the P-C was junk. Motor needs a start switch at the very least ($50-$75, IF you can find one) and the aluminum pump knocks louder than a Jehovah's Witness on uppers.

The I-R was missing the pressure switch and all the external plumbing, but it has a cast iron pump. Went through the motor and tested it on the bench, seemed okay. Bore-scoped the inside of the IR tank and it is solid. So I cleaned it all up, remounted the motor and pump and swiped all the needed plumbing off the P-C with a few bits out of my stash. Changed the oil in the pump and fired it up and voila! Runs good, sounds good, builds air. I chickened out and shut it off at 120 PSI (rated for 175) because I have no idea of the condition of the pressure switch and didn't see the need to work it that hard anyway. 80 gallons at 120 PSI will run anything I'll do with it.

I need to grab a new filter for the pump intake, a new pressure switch, a quarter-turn ball valve for the drain and some anti-vibration pucks to mount it on.

I think I'll also pop for a magnetic motor starter as it's asking a lot of that little pressure switch to start a 5 HP motor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not bad for free. I need to get a decent size compressor, getting by with a little pancake, but have the room for an upright like yours.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I assume you widen your search beyond local.
I have sold items to CA and NH due to people searching far and wide.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the words, but all I got was manly grunt sounds. I wish I was handy like that.

Posts: 670 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I assume you widen your search beyond local.
I have sold items to CA and NH due to people searching far and wide.

I guess that depends on your definition of "local". These were about 80 miles away.

I've gone further for something I wanted and have gone out of state but it wasn't for something I found on Craigslist.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Scope the Porter Cable tank and if it's okay it will make one heck of a slave tank.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Scope the Porter Cable tank and if it's okay it will make one heck of a slave tank.

That's one option, but I don't have any place convenient to put it.

Younger Grandson says they have one at work with a bad tank. As far as he knows, they're going to junk it. If so, I'll take it. If not, I'll offer to sell them a good tank.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I think I may have found the problem with the pump on the Porter-Cable...

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Try some JB Weld.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nice score on the IR. That’s a mighty fine compressor for the cost of fuel and repairs!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Try some JB Weld.

Should I clean the oil off first or just glue it? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Is there a test to determine if the tank is solid on old air compressors? I have a Craftsman unit that is about 47 years old and I replaced it for fear of the thing blowing apart in the basement some day.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Is there a test to determine if the tank is solid on old air compressors? I have a Craftsman unit that is about 47 years old and I replaced it for fear of the thing blowing apart in the basement some day.

I suppose you could have it hydrostatically checked, but for a homeowner compressor, it'd likely be cheaper to just replace it.

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Try some JB Weld.

Should I clean the oil off first or just glue it? Big Grin

Surface prep is the key!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post