SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cape Cod for summer vacation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Cod for summer vacation? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I would go a few miles north to Maine.
Cape Cod is over the top tourist oriented to me and Maine has a more beautiful coastline.

Good advice here.

Just remember that many of Maine's beaches are pebble beaches.

Probably the most traditionally "beachy" sand beach in Maine is Old Orchard Beach, south of Portland.

Sandy Beach at Acadia National Park is also nice, although it's small and might be a little too off the beaten path for you.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
We spent our honeymoon there in 1972! And went to a seriously upper class wedding there in 1973. Way out of our league. Would be fun to go back just for old times sake but I dont think i could take all the people anymore.

I honeymooned there in 1973, had a great time. We stayed in P-Town, on the bay side. We went back a couple of other times but haven't been in 40 years!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the area. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been back. My recommendations to research would be Falmouth, Woods Hole, Chatham, Wellfleet and Dennis.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The family of one of my best friends in HS had a summer home in Wellfleet.

We spent many fun and fine times there, including of course tipping a few back at the infamous beach-front Beachcomber bar.

If you like to swim in the ocean, plan on as late a visit as possible (Labor Day weekend or a week or so later if doable) for tolerable water temps.

Posts: 3497 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifes family had a house in Orleans for about 25 years then sold it a few years back. Shes been going to the Cape for about the past 40 years and I jave been going there for about the past 20. Off season in September or October is my favorite time, if you are dead set for one of the summer months we have good luck in August when we go up. We have noticed that Cape just does not seem to be as busy as it was 10-15 years ago. We really enjoy the mid-Cape, convenient to pretty much all areas of the cape from there. Depending on what your interested in would help us point you in the right direction for suggestions. Sharks have become very common in both the ocean and bay sides so that is something to be aware of if you plan any water activities.

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Chatham,The Old Harbor Inn.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Go to Acadia National park in Maine instead..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woods Hole

easy access to Marthas Vineyard via the ferry, easy drive to Falmouth

I grew up visiting my grandparents for a month each summer. They lived between Woods Hole and Falmouth. Grandma worked for WHOI, Grandfather was an electrician (with a Masters in mathematics from Emory) who grew up on Nausan Island

Or look further up on the northshore at Ipswich area. Cranes Beach is huge and very pretty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
Any towns in particular to stay in? We know nothing.

I can understand the attraction for anyone who’s not from around here. It’s all good after the Bourn Bridge. Falmouth, Hyannis, P-Town, Woods Hole. Spent a lot of my time as a youth on the Cape but the summer traffic and prices would kill me today. Don’t underestimate the Maine coast and don’t wait too long to make reservations.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cape cod is busy for a reason ... it’s very nice.

Old orchard beach is a great beach town.

Bar harbor /Acadia National park is great too, but the water that far north is pretty cold in the summer.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Get a local map so you will have a chance getting around-- and around the traffic. 6-A is the northern road and (use to be) a very scenic drive. Cooperation Beach is north side and the water, even in August can be c.o.l.d.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post