SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have I been eating synthetic beef jerky all these years?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have I been eating synthetic beef jerky all these years? Login/Join 
posted
I realize that Madison Ave has been teaching businesses how to promote their products by using trigger words for years. Promoting value, trendiness or cool factor or better yet, health, seems popular. We hear and see “sugar free”, “diet” “smart” and of course “ organic”. Organic implies the real thing, right? Not somthing fake. Yesterday at Costco, I saw a package of beef jerly labelled “organic”. No shit! You mean it’s made from a cow? I don’t think they are implying that the other beef jerky is really possum or cat, for they would be organic too.

This seems to imply that other jerky isn’t really the genuine thing. Synthetic! So what have I been eating all these years? Synthethic makes me think of the plastic family. Perhaps old Bridgestones and Goodyears reformulated with artificial beef flavoring? Old trash bags with teriyaki spices?

Glad to know that beef jerky made of beef has finally arrived for human consumption.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it just mean the critter the jerky comes from was fed organic feed?

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can't afford beer fed beef (aka Kobe), but I do enjoy grass fed.

Good primer on grass-fed vs organic beef.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23661 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I can't afford beer fed beef (aka Kobe), but I do enjoy grass fed.

Good primer on grass-fed vs organic beef.

Now I'm really confused. Organic beer fed beef? Big Grin
ETA:I swear that said "vs. organic beer"

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smokehouse Bayou Beef Jerky.
Get some.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
Smokehouse Bayou Beef Jerky.
Get some.
Where?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I thought organic meant that no chemicals or hormones were fed to the animal. For beef jerkey that would mean the cow was fed all natural feed.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1108 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want grass fed, shoot a deer.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Deer makes fantastic jerky.

Posts: 2038 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
I thought organic meant that no chemicals or hormones were fed to the animal

What if the hormones are from organs?

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
I thought organic meant that no chemicals or hormones were fed to the animal

What if the hormones are from organs?
Then you're talking about "Hammond Beef," (not to be confused with Hammond Eggs).

Posts: 6766 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
"Organic" means 'has some carbon in it'.

When the word's put on product labels, it means pretty much whatever the guy who designed the label wants it to mean.

That said, in practice it generally means 'Now With Extra Profit Margin Added!' although you have to consult your handy 'Marketing-Speak-to-English' translator to be sure. Smile

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Deer makes fantastic jerky.

Holy moley you ain't lying. A friend of mine makes deer jerky every season and it is absolutely delicious! Guys at work try to coerce him with money to keep bringing more in.

And I don't think I could kill a beer fed cow. I mean, that's like shooting your drinking buddy.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
When the word's put on product labels, it means pretty much whatever the guy who designed the label wants it to mean.

There are a number of organizations that certify products as being organic - you can look for their logo on the label - and in those cases, it does mean something specific.

(I'm not saying it's important or not important.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Means whatever they want it to mean”. According to the ingredients list they use “genuine organic maple syrup” as flavoring. I guess this makes it organic.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post