SIGforum
Vintage BMW motorcycle - need tires - suggestions?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6660075424

May 21, 2017, 06:46 PM
Chris42
Vintage BMW motorcycle - need tires - suggestions?
I have a 1977 BMW R100S - it was the next step after the classic R90S. Anyway, I need a new set of tires. The Dunlop K81 is still available and I had some of them on a bike back in the 80's and liked them a lot. Great for cornering and pretty good all around.

I think I might still put the K81 on the front, is there something that is a lot better that you might recommend for the rear?

The bike is a sport bike, so day trips are likely what the majority of the driving will be.

Thanks
May 21, 2017, 06:49 PM
4MUL8R
Do you want vintage tires? I wonder if Metzler ME77 can still be purchased. For usable tires Michelin Pilot Road Sport are nice.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
May 21, 2017, 07:50 PM
Snapping Twig
Tires have advanced exponentially.

Vintage might be nice for its own sake, but modern tires will be MUCH better.

See if radials fit your rims. You won't regret it.

Try Revzilla.
May 21, 2017, 07:58 PM
Oldrider
I like Dunlops. I would also consider Avons, especially if you like a sticky good-in-the-rain tire.

May 21, 2017, 08:34 PM
HRK
Dunlop has a $40 rebate deal going on this month
May 22, 2017, 06:00 AM
SgtGold
Back when I rode an R100RT I was quite fond of Metzler. I was in my local pusher's shop and noticed they had an older R100RS on the floor, and it was wearing Metzlers. I assume that means they are still available for the older bikes with the skinny rims. Sorry, but I didn't look hard enough to see exactly what tire it was.

May 22, 2017, 06:52 AM
bettysnephew
I used to ride a R100RS and my favorite tires were Metzelers. I would see what they have available.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
May 22, 2017, 08:20 AM
V-Tail
I preferred Continentals on my 1978 R100RS. I did try one set of Metzlers but I found that the Continentals did a better job for me, on rough roads, or highways with goofed concrete, the Continentals felt a bit more stable than the Metzlers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 22, 2017, 08:24 AM
snwghst
Im a fan of Avons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever
May 22, 2017, 03:35 PM
GWbiker
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I preferred Continentals on my 1978 R100RS. I did try one set of Metzlers but I found that the Continentals did a better job for me, on rough roads, or highways with goofed concrete, the Continentals felt a bit more stable than the Metzlers.

Continental tires were OEM on the R75/7 I owned in the late '70's. I used Metzler tubes.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".