SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 'new' camera
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 'new' camera Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Nikon F2AS. This one was made in 1979. This is a great time to be a film photographer. All the cameras I dreamed of as a teenager are now easily affordable.

Now if the weather would just warm up a bit...

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I dreamed of the Swiss Alpa 6c.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.mikee...-alpa-reflex-6c/amp/

Neat camera! But I’m out of film photography now, even though I still have a great 35mm Durst enlarger that mechanically keeps the image focused as you adjust magnification.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Now thats what I call a camera!!!!

Beautiful....

I could only afford an Olympus OM-10 back then...still have it, still works (I think...)

Wish Id gone even entry level Nikon for the glass.

Have a D7000 now and have purchased several older all metal/glass Nikon AF lenses from Japan on ebay

quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Nikon F2AS. This one was made in 1979. This is a great time to be a film photographer. All the cameras I dreamed of as a teenager are now easily affordable.

Now if the weather would just warm up a bit...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Where do you plan to buy film, have it developed and, pictures printed?

I have a Canon T90 and considering using it however; $15 - $20 for an 8×10 (San Diego rates) seems a little high and I've been considering building up a darkroom yet, the film, chemicals and paper child be hard to come by.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I am so jealous! I have always wanted one of those. I have 2-FM2’s. 1 Cannon AE1. Thanks 6Guns and would like to pick up a Minolta XG7, it was my first 35mm. I would love to have a F2

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you acquire it and what did you pay for it?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Where do you plan to buy film, have it developed and, pictures printed?

I have a Canon T90 and considering using it however; $15 - $20 for an 8×10 (San Diego rates) seems a little high and I've been considering building up a darkroom yet, the film, chemicals and paper child be hard to come by.

Film is still available, even on Amazon. It's a little more expensive now than in the past, but, surprisingly, there's been a resurgence in film shooters over the last several years. Kind of like vinyl albums.

As far as processing, I'll do it myself. I've been processing B&W film for about 40 years now.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you acquire it and what did you pay for it?

I found this on ebay from a seller in Japan. All the F2's I saw for sale the in the US were pretty beaten up, while all the ones in Japan, for some reason, looked pretty nice. I paid $355 for the camera, about $30 for shipping, and local taxes. This seller shipped really fast - I had the camera in my hands less than a week after buying it. The lens I found in the local classifieds for $75.

This is the 'AS' model, so it typically commands a slight premium over the other F2 models. You could get a nice F2 Photomic for right around $200 - $250

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
Nice outfit and in great shape for its age. I like my DSLR but not its "feel". It feels plastic, which it is. It just does not have the substantial heft that my all metal film cameras had.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I worked as a pro photographer for over 25 years doing mostly advertising,packaging, and corp. reports.Primarily used large format (8x10 view cameras). I did have and still have my 35mm Nikon F2 and Nikormat camera body's and an assortment of Nikor lenses.

Back in the day the F2 was coveted by the pro's.NOBODY wanted the F3 when it came out.The F3 was electronic and only a F or F2 being mechanical was considered durable enough to work in cold weather or a tough environment.
The light meters on the Nikons were never used only hand held meters were trusted.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice. My last 2 film cameras (still have them somewhere) were a Nikon FE and N70--on my last several trips before going digital I carried both of them--the FE with ASA 800 film and a 28mm f/1.8 lens carried high on my chest and the N70 carried low (stomach) with ASA 400 film and wearing a 28-200mm zoom. I used the FE for indoor shots and the N70 for most everything else. It worked for me.

Prior to those, my camera was a Nikkormat FT with the Tamron 28-200 zoom.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice camera. School photographer back in the mid '70s. Shot with schools beatup Nikormat.

Dad cosigned on my credit card app so that I could buy on credit a Fujica ST701. Fortunate to setup a darkroom in basement doing B&W on Durst F30. Simple tech but I was fairly competent and loved shooting, developing and printing B&W.

Glad you were able to find one in such good shape.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Did you know Nikon is owned in part by Mitsubishi?

BTW that's a nice camera. But I'm not sure where the nearest photo hut is? Cant find them on Google Maps.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great find. I hope you have fun using your film camera. For the most part, today's generation will miss the experience of dealing with film and the excitement of seeing the processed film images. I would not want to give up today's digital photography equipment and processing software. And, there is more amazing stuff in the development pipeline. Maybe my memory is romanticizing too much, but I think much of the "magic" of dealing with film is gone. A smart phone can easily capture some great images.

I too have an old Nikon F2 (non-photomic head) camera and a Nikkormat which I inherited from a dear uncle along with a case full of Nikon lenses while I was in college. At the time, all I could afford was Kodak Tri-X B&W film. Using a handheld meter and shooting B&W helped build my photography skills.

The F2 was a precision piece of equipment yet built like a tank for daily professional use and probably still works well today. You've motivated me to dust it off and give it a try.
I hope I can find that box of Kodachrome that I know I still have somewhere. Wink

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I still have my old Olympus OM-1's, one silver and one black; and a number of excellent Zuiko lenses. Not shooting them now, but good to know I could--or one of my kids or grandkids could as a way of learning photography.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
My son now has my Nikon F2 and all I had with it. He used it in 1999 while in college.

I loved that camera. Just was perfect to me.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Was a big Canon user then switched to Nikons in the 90's. Congrats on your score.

Posts: 2168 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Nikon F2 was a real work horse and miles ahead of anything Leica had to offer. You got a great deal, IMO.

I'm partial to German cameras. Leica, Contax rangefinders, along with Japanese copies of German cameras. Leica M3, R8 and an old Leotax get a workout at times.

We have a film process developer in Tucson, thank goodness, that does E6.

I miss Kodachrome ASA 25.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I earned a living with that camera. I photographed Ronald Reagan,George H.Bush and Coretta King with it. Mine is a bit more worn.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon am me go back a long ways, have a model S and S2 rangefinders and array of lenses dating back into the 1950's. It all started with a 25 dollar Nikkormat FS, a somewhat rare version that was meterless. Mine was an ex press photographer's beater and what I hauled to Ohio State my freshman year. While the bodywork is rather worn, dented, and dinged this camera still works perfectly if you ignore the light scratches on the mirror.

As for your model, I have 3 of the predesessor to your AS12. What I have is the F2 SB that uses the same electronics as your camera but uses the older style metering prong (hog nose).

BTW, back in the early 80's I took the time to purchase the "conversion kits" that were simply new AIS aperture rings to install on the earlier lenses. As a result I have a 50mm f2 Nikkor H that was made in 1965 and is still functional on my D750. One thing that Nikon is seldom praised for is their policy of building new cameras compatible with older lenses. Just something to keep in mind, today you can find manual focus Nikkors on ebay for pennies on the dollars prices.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post