New
Find
Notify
Tools

car safe Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I came across this.

I haven't been able to find a good solution for a console safe for my car.

This seems relatively generic (but very expensive). https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts with them?

Quality? Security level? Usage?

I planning to use for documents (registration, insurance and such) as well as temporary storage for handgun as needed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the security aspect of it, since you could just pull the headrest.

Reminds me of the headrest mounted DVD systems that take the, usually, comfortable headrest & replace it with the billboard-sized & uncomfortable unit.

Since getting my Explorer, I've been thinking about how to handle secure storage when I need it.
Have a small SnapSafe lockbox that will hold my P320C perfectly, but not sure where I put the retention cable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://tuffyproducts.com/?gcl...6EAAYASAAEgLX-PD_BwE

I have the Glove Compartment and the Under the Seat safe in my Jeep. Kinda wish I got the center counsel one too. But I love mine!

If you decide to get multiple ones, make sure you get the keys for the locks the same- Less confusion. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Those looks great, but no options for the 2020+ Explorer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not sure on the security aspect of it, since you could just pull the headrest.

Seems like they have a way to secure the headrest to the seat using the kind of clips used for wallmounts. Not sure how secure it really is though. And also not sure what the recourse is if you want to re-install the original headrests.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
https://tuffyproducts.com/?gcl...6EAAYASAAEgLX-PD_BwE

I have the Glove Compartment and the Under the Seat safe in my Jeep. Kinda wish I got the center counsel one too. But I love mine!

If you decide to get multiple ones, make sure you get the keys for the locks the same- Less confusion. Wink

I think I've looked at those before. They don't have a solution for my vehicles. Also, kind of wish they used a keyless solution like simplex.

I'm using Vline today but looking for a solution inside the cabin area.

posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...nt56VGEXcz45qhlATPy9

I have one in every car I drive.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

+1 Console Vault is the original and they're tried and true.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Consolevault. Installation is easy, and it is safe.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dad had a console vault

I like locker Down products… family owned in TX US made

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the headrest safe but nixed it because I was not sure it would be removable when I sold the car.
Console Vault is +++.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I also use Consolevault. I just wish it had a simplex lock so I don't have to look down at the combo tumbler.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piling on for the Console Vault. Thing works great and built to handle your average dumbshit scumbag trying to steal stuff out of your car.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

They apparently don't make any for Mustangs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Penal Code 25140 prohibits using the glove compartment or center console unless you're a peace officer.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I saw an article about these a few days ago.
No way I would consider one. Not because of the gun security itself, that's another matter. The headrest is in full view of anyone nearby and you have to disarm, open the safe an put it in there

The headrest is a carefully calculated part of crash impact protection. I have personal experience in being hit from behind at a low speed. I was at a stop light and the driver behind me, maybe a yard or two, went go when the light turned green. The driver in front wasn't paying attention, meaning I didn't go. Since I drive an SUV (Explorer) with a small receiver hitch, there was no shock absorbing bumper to take any of the hit. I saw stars and if he had hit any faster there would have been a real spinal injury.

No way I'd put that thing in my headrest.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
https://www.consolevault.com/

this outfit also has models for under rear seat & other locations.

One large old company had a wide variety of under-front seat models.

It's out there. Keep searching.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Not to discourage anyone from using any of the mentioned products for secure weapons storage in vehicles just remember that "locks only slow honest people down"... Have seen vehicle interiors torn up / destroyed because the owners had tried to harden the items in their cars to try and prevent theft........... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I’ll take another look at the CV products. I wish they had a simplex offering but maybe the combo lock is good enough.

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Had my eye on https://www.lockerdown.com for years, like the 6 sided construction and lock options. Some I had looked at were just lids and a frame. Should have bought it day-1 to maximize ROI... Sadly, noticeable price increase post-RONA (+$400 with Abloy lock upgrade (Hate barrel locks) Frown

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post